HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 6:30 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Oceanwide is looking to sell most of their US projects:

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news...-market-101882
Well I think that is a good sign for getting this one completed. I would think this property would look attractive to a new owner considering the exterior is 95% complete and a committed occupant guarantees income.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 6:40 PM

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 9:26 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Another view of fig&7

Fig&7th

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 11:06 PM

How much of this is phony corporate optimism, and how much of this is real? Who knows. But interesting:

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...ic-real-estate

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 8:50 AM

It's December and with the holidays around the corner, I wish construction companies can get behind the holiday spirit and have them install Christmas lights atop their cranes in DTLA.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar90 View Post
I love that opening shot.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastsupertall View Post
fantastic summary of the state of the dtla market from globe st:

— half of the city's new inventory is being delivered in dtla, in only 1% of the land mass

—lease prices are up 1% downtown vs. 8% city-wide due to increased supply

—building luxury housing helps prevent conversions of market rate units

—this is all thanks to a concerted effort by downtown interests who want dtla to be a big city

https://www.globest.com/2019/11/21/d...s-new-housing/
this!!!!!!!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 11:29 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
True. I remember back when Watermarke and the Ralphs building were in the site prep stages and we all said "This is it, this will change downtown forever ! Downtown will boom" took another 10 years but even back then the site prep stage had us all like kids in a candy store. Now we seem to be unbothered until top out lol. I just hope I live long enough to see the day atleast half of the downtown loop gets filled in with highrises.
I remember taking people downtown as recently as 2011 and thinking "Man I really hope this thing takes off!"

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 11:42 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by a9l8e7n View Post
Fig&7th

Amazing photos!

Wait...this thing is going to be 695 feet. That's about as tall as the Paul Hastings Building, AND it's going to help fill in that annoying gap between the WG and 777 Tower. I guess I didn't fully realize since the renderings are boring AF if you ask me

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
That’s what I’m saying. About twice as many buildings as there are now would be pivotal. An upscale shopping district would be the icing on top.
I've always said that Broadway should be cut off to street traffic and turned into a promenade of stores and theaters like Santa Monicas. I think the tourist draw with that alone could do wonders for downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
I remember taking people downtown as recently as 2011 and thinking "Man I really hope this thing takes off!"
Same.

Its kinda sad. Most of the more exciting projects I was looking forward to are all Chinese. Now with this trade war mess and tensions, it seems like pretty much every single one will for sure be canceled or put on indefinite hold until political climates get better.

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 3, 2019 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Its kinda sad. Most of the more exciting projects I was looking forward to are all Chinese. Now with this trade war mess and tensions, it seems like pretty much every single one will for sure be canceled or put on indefinite hold until political climates get better.
While the trade war hasn't helped, the main cause is China's tougher restrictions on outflowing capital which probably isn't going to change any time soon because I believe it was a decision independent of the trade war.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 3:41 AM

^^^ True. I remember China speaking about it back before the election how tooo much capital was flowing over seas while their own market was starting to get shakey. I just hope all of the projects proposed by Chinese companies switch hands as is to someone else. Or better yet, someone please just do the Olympia towers. Thats all i ask. Just get the Olympia towers done... I know the rest are years down the line anyway.

Any news on the Luxe site? the one that was supposed to have broken ground already. Or is it another casulty.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 3:49 AM

Quote:
^^^ True. I remember China speaking about it back before the election how tooo much capital was flowing over seas while their own market was starting to get shakey. I just hope all of the projects proposed by Chinese companies switch hands as is to someone else. Or better yet, someone please just do the Olympia towers. Thats all i ask. Just get the Olympia towers done... I know the rest are years down the line anyway.

Any news on the Luxe site? the one that was supposed to have broken ground already. Or is it another casulty.
meh. I am more into the Luxe and Fig+Pico developments. Those are the only two I ask for. However, I am thrilled with the restorations! It's pretty exciting to see one after another begin! 2020 should be a great year for DTLA. We have several buildings that are recently opened or going to be opening soon. Here is to an influx of new residents and feet on the ground!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 4:50 AM

Quote:
I've always said that Broadway should be cut off to street traffic and turned into a promenade of stores and theaters like Santa Monicas. I think the tourist draw with that alone could do wonders for downtown.

Same.

Shame. Which projects are Chinese? Even if a lot of these proposals are heavily related to China, that’s a fair trade in bringing DTLA to a critical mass appeal to other developers. With Mid-Wilshire/Beverly Hills/Century City/Westwood and West Hollywood to compete with, it becomes quite a climb. And that’s excluding; Glendale, Burbank, Pasadena, Santa Monica and Long Beach. For comparison; Manhattan only really has Jersey City, NW Brooklyn and LIC to compete with. DTLA-Mid City-Hollywood would really be a fair comparison on Manhattan.

Although what’s been done so far is incredible considering the competition other LA areas bring and the homeless issues.

Last edited by liat91; Dec 4, 2019 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
meh. I am more into the Luxe and Fig+Pico developments. Those are the only two I ask for. However, I am thrilled with the restorations! It's pretty exciting to see one after another begin! 2020 should be a great year for DTLA. We have several buildings that are recently opened or going to be opening soon. Here is to an influx of new residents and feet on the ground!
The '28 Olympics and need for more housing should help keep construction going, recession or no. Plus I think things are finally moving to get homeless off the streets into shelters. In a couple of years I think we will see fewer sleeping on the sidewalks. By 2030, L.A. skyline should look at least as big and dense as Toronto is today.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 6:34 PM
April Melissa Sandever

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
The '28 Olympics and need for more housing should help keep construction going, recession or no. Plus I think things are finally moving to get homeless off the streets into shelters. In a couple of years I think we will see fewer sleeping on the sidewalks. By 2030, L.A. skyline should look at least as big and dense as Toronto is today.
I have visited LA many times! Being from the Toronto area was kinda shocked reading that Toronto is more dense then LA. Honestly kinda shocked me!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
No, were still far from Toronto. And after visiting SF last weekend, we're far from them as well. Downtown hasn't really boomed for a couple of years, sadly.

We do have a nice amount of 15-25 (and higher) buildings go up all over the city though.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissasandever View Post
I have visited LA many times! Being from the Toronto area was kinda shocked reading that Toronto is more dense then LA. Honestly kinda shocked me!
Why??? How true of an urbanist are you? Some of these comments about LA’s Downtown is simply laughable. No...LA didn’t start its boom of residents as early as NY or San Fran. When people in general thought about moving and moved to LA, it was and still is about having a home, having some sort of yard/land, a house in the hills, etc. They didn’t move to LA to walk to and from in a dense area. People dream of having a home on the coastlines of Southern California. What’s going on in DTLA, is incredible. Cities such as Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, etc. don’t have a Malibu, Bel Air, Hollywood Hills, to compete with in their prospective cities. Most of those cities, you’ve never even heard of other areas or sub-markets in their cities. As a Morehouse Man, I have to say...a lot of these comments are extremely small minded and has not one ounce of understanding the big picture.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 11:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
By 2030, L.A. skyline should look at least as big and dense as Toronto is today.
I like your optimism, but that is incredibly unrealistic.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
I like your optimism, but that is incredibly unrealistic.
I'm not saying L.A. in 2030 will have the skyline Toronto will have in 2030. But I do think it could have a skyline at least as impressive as Toronto has now, in 2019. By 2030 Toronto could look like Chicago today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations