HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 4:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
I don't know... don't the horizontal breaks make the whole thing seem more "substantial," somehow?
I don't think so. without the horizontal lines, it's more vertical. the horizontal lines anchor it to the earth, which the building does not want to do. each of the 4 towers is not only reaching to the sky, but is trying to outreach its neighbor.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 10:09 PM

That's great news about the removal of horizontal sections. As of shading, it was an interesting effect but sounded like it would be cost prohibitive and I wasn't too sold on that concept from the beginning.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 2:25 PM

It seems like there are conflicting heights for the spire of this building. Emporis has it at 1,339 ft, SSP Diagram has it at 1,350 ft, and this thread has it at 1,357 ft.
Anyone know which is the right height?
Vista Tower, Chicago 1,1199 ft UC 45 Broad St, New York 1,115 ft UC
9 DeKalb Ave, New York 1,066 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 4:12 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazpmk View Post
It seems like there are conflicting heights for the spire of this building. Emporis has it at 1,339 ft, SSP Diagram has it at 1,350 ft, and this thread has it at 1,357 ft.
Anyone know which is the right height?
I thought I could help you out by going to the official Lower Manhattan Development site, but found this nugget:

"By 2012, World Trade Center Tower Two will stand as New York’s second-tallest skyscraper, after the Freedom Tower. Designed by British architect Lord Norman Foster, Tower Two will rise 78 stories (1,254 feet), and stand out for its distinct cruciform core and diagonal roof that slopes toward the WTC Memorial plaza."

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/futur...tc/tower2.aspx

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 1:18 AM
Desert Dweller

Has anyone seen Babylon A.D. yet? WTC 2 plays a small but significant part in the movie. The Freedom Tower was shown as well as you can see, but for some reason the creators thought that WTC 2 will be NYC's tallest.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 3:31 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

That's a killer NYC skyline.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's the old version. On the newer version, vertical "fins" line the tower all the way to the tip of the "spire".
The facade looks very similar to Chicago's 300 N. LaSalle, which is looking great as it goes up.
If 2WTC has similar quality glass, it'll be a stunning building.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 8:30 AM
Ω

I heard that movie sucked but New York looks amazing.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 8:15 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

These towers are long overdue. Their impact on the skyline will be impressive.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 12:27 AM
I love boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
That's a killer NYC skyline.
Agree, that skyline in the picture is mad awesome. The decorative lighting on the buildings resembles Hong Kong.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 6:43 AM

I like this tower design better than the freedom tower! It isn't very much shorter if you dont count the spires..which shouldnt be counted anyways!

It is also a good secondary tower to the freedom tower. The Freedom tower looks good except the antenna. It kind of besmirches it. Your creating *the* New York Icon other than the ESB, it cant cost that much more to build another 150 ft of actual building. Just shorten one of the shorter towers and funnel the money into the one that will actual fit on the postcards and draw tourists.

Although with all the government height regulations it must be hard enough to get anything done in Americas Big city.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 9:12 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

New York Sun

Port Authority May Miss Deadline For Tower 2 Site at Ground Zero
By PETER KIEFER, Staff Reporter of the Sun | September 26, 2008

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is expected to miss the September deadline it set to turn over land for Tower 2, to be built by the developer Larry Silverstein at the World Trade Center site.

The Port Authority was supposed to turn over the site to Silverstein Properties on June 30 and since then has incurred a $300,000-a-day penalty, which it must pay the developer. Earlier this month, the Port Authority said it would turn the site over by the end of September, but according to a number of sources, that deadline will not be met.

As of the end of September, the Port Authority will have incurred $18 million in penalties for the Tower 2 site. That figure, coupled with the $14.4 million the Port Authority paid as a result of a previous missed deadline, pushes the authority's total penalties over the $30 million threshold. If the Port Authority fails to hand over the site by the end of October, the penalties will be more than $40 million.

A spokesman for the Port Authority, Steve Coleman, said the agency still plans to turn the site for Tower 2 over by the end of the month.

The executive director of the Port Authority, Christopher Ward, will present his assessment of updated deadlines and budgets for the Freedom Tower, the museum, the memorial plaza, and the cultural and transit centers on Thursday. Mr. Ward's report is expected to show, finally, how far behind schedule and how far over budget the project is.

© 2008 The New York Sun, One, SL, LLC. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 5:02 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pb...19973/1058/toc

Port Authority shocker: Trade Center making progress
Report due Thursday to conclude Silverstein can finish on schedule.

October 1, 2008

The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey is slated to announce Thursday that it will meet all its obligations to lay the groundwork that will allow Larry Silverstein to complete the three towers he is developing at World Trade Center site by 2012 as scheduled, sources say.

Thursday’s report, these say sources, will be nowhere near as bleak as imagined last June.

One source attributes the new, more optimistic view of progress at Ground Zero to design and engineering changes made in recent weeks. Currently, the Port Authority's Freedom Tower, like Mr. Silverstein’s buildings, are due to be finished by 2012.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 11:18 AM
New Yorker for life

From army.arch

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 1:40 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

At Last...

According to the Daily News, the PA has completed its excavation of the foundation and will turn the site over to Larry Silverstein later this week.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 6:50 PM

Patrick....that picture is S-I-C-K!!! For a second, I thought that was a picture of Shanghai.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 11:58 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 3:53 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008..._port_aut.html

World Trade Center deal between Port Authority, Silverstein hits a wall

By Douglas Feiden
October 8th 2008

An ugly $300,000-a-day feud erupted Tuesday between the Port Authority and developer Larry Silverstein over the rebuilding of Ground Zero, the Daily News has learned.

The bistate agency claimed it had turned over "construction-ready" land at the site on Sunday to the builder to construct two enormous office towers - and no longer has to shell out late fees totaling $2.1 million a week.

Not true, says Silverstein. The plot hasn't been fully excavated and he can't start building Towers 2 and 4, the developer insists. Noting that PA Executive Director Chris Ward had left a steel-and-timber retaining wall smack dab in the middle of the site, Silverstein executive Dara McQuillan joked, "Mr. Ward, tear down this wall."

Hanging in the balance is the fate of Tower 2, a 79-story, 1,270foot skyscraper on Church St. that will be taller than the Empire State Building, and Tower 4, a 64-story giant a block south that will become the PA's headquarters.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/..._of_sha-3.html

World Trade Center's 300G-a-day wall of shame hampers plans

BY DOUGLAS FEIDEN
October 9th 2008

The is the Berlin Wall of Ground Zero.

Hulking and forbidding, the barrier has ignited a $300,000-a-day war between the Port Authority and developer Larry Silverstein - and could trigger costly new delays at the World Trade Center site.

The 40-foot-tall retaining wall runs north-south for 400 feet through the southeast corner of Ground Zero - where Silverstein is supposed to construct the 64story Tower 4.

Silverstein says the 7-foot-wide steel-and-timber barrier makes it impossible for him to dig the skyscraper's foundation and impedes his access to the site.

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_284/wtc.html

W.T.C. office to tackle neighbors’ concerns

By Julie Shapiro

The Port Authority has a new plan to rebuild ground zero and a new office to coordinate it — but the community’s quality of life concerns remain the same.

The new plan came from Chris Ward, the Port’s executive director, whom Gov. David Paterson appointed last spring.

But the Port’s focus on the community doesn’t mean the community will always win. “There may be times when the needs of the site exceed the capacity to address community concerns,” Ward told City Councilmember Alan Gerson during a hearing Monday.

Another sacrifice the community will likely have to make is the closure of Vesey St. between Church and W. Broadway. Silverstein Properties would use that block of Vesey St. to stage the construction of Tower 2.

“The contractor would like nothing better than to shut it down within the next few weeks,” said Sam Schwartz, the Port’s newly hired traffic coordinator with the Program Logistics Office.

Schwartz, better known in traffic circles as “Gridlock Sam,” likened Lower Manhattan’s streets to an obstacle course and said he would do everything he could to keep Vesey St. open. But the Port has already widened the sidewalks on blocks of Barclay St. and W. Broadway, in preparation for Vesey St.’s closure.

The community wants Vesey St. to stay open because it is a key east-west thoroughfare connecting Battery Park City to the Financial District. Many pedestrians who used to traverse the W.T.C. use the Vesey St. bridge to cross West St., and while the bridge will not be affected, pedestrians will have to go several more blocks out of their way in order to use it. Vesey, site of the temporary PATH entrance, can see 15,000 pedestrians an hour and 150,000 to 200,000 pedestrians a day, according to the Port.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Defantly my favorite. I like the whole idea of the Tower, it will defantly stand out from the rest of the towers. THIS should have been the Freedom Tower.

Defantly a big building, You'd think the ESB would be much taller.

Agreed!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 10:15 PM

I don't know if anybody has seen Babylon AD, but I saw it and I noticed this building in one of the scenes. Some people were having a discussion on the top of it. It took place in the distant future though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction