HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 10:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This has unquestionably been Robert Irving's Annis Horribilis.

At the beginning of the season, he wasn't quite sure what to do, but with the return of some star players like McKenna from the pros, and the confirmation that Axel Andersen would play in the Q, he decided to go "all in".

Trades were planned, and were ready to be triggered at the Christmas trading period, then the Torchetti debacle developed, throwing everything into chaos. Irving decided to carry on with his plans and was able to secure Daniel Lacroix as an emergency coach. Lacroix was able to inspire his talented band of players into becoming a disciplined core of responsible players willing to buy into a team system where defence is valued as much as offence, and after a few games he produced a team that was virtually unbeatable and should be considered one of the best Wildcats squads of all time.

Then COVID-19 arrived and everything became for naught. What a disaster...........

Irving will have nothing to show for his plans, and his cupboard is now so bare that the Wildcats will be wandering in the wilderness for the next three years.

None of this is Irvings fault though. His plans were progressing as well as he could have hoped, only to come crashing to the ground due to reasons beyond his control.

I feel sorry for him.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 3:08 PM

Well let’s put it this way, whatever money he is loosing at the box office, he is making it up on sales of toilet paper!

(Now don’t grill me people, i have no clue if he is the Irving in charge of that branch, but in light of everything that is happening, we still need to have some humour somewhere to keep us sane!)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 3:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Well let’s put it this way, whatever money he is loosing at the box office, he is making it up on sales of toilet paper!

(Now don’t grill me people, i have no clue if he is the Irving in charge of that branch, but in light of everything that is happening, we still need to have some humour somewhere to keep us sane!)
Yes, Majesta falls under Robert Irving's purview.

So, the Annis Horribilis is partly offset by an Anus Lucrum.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 13, 2020 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 1:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

All seasons ticket holders received an email from the Moncton Wildcats indicating how they will be compensated for the last two home games of the regular season which were cancelled.

This paragraph was included at the end of the email:

Quote:
What we are all dealing with is unprecedented and is evolving rapidly. We strongly value our members & partners and can't thank you enough for the continued support! We will keep everyone updated as we hear more from the CHL/QMJHL regarding playoffs.
So, Robert Irving & company are still holding onto a vain hope that the playoffs and Memorial Cup can be salvaged.

Here's my take on things:

- the current extreme measures instituted by the government and the provincial states of emergency will last considerably longer than the two weeks mentioned when the measures were instituted. This is necessary as the incubation period of COVID-19 can be as long as 14 days, and we need to see clear evidence that the rate of infection has decreased to nearly zero. If the rules are relaxed too soon, we will see a second spike of disease.

- I expect that the current situation will persist until the beginning of May, with a gradual lifting of restrictions and mandatory closures after that (but continuing travel bans and bans on large gathering lasting long after that).

- I think that if playoffs were to occur, they would not begin at the earliest until May 15th. Obviously that would be too late for a regular series of four playoff rounds. An alternate format playoffs would be necessary, perhaps with just the four top teams participating, either in truncated series (best of five), or a Memorial Cup style round robin tournament. The Memorial Cup would then follow in early June.

This is the best case type of scenario. I think it more likely that the season is toast, and Robert Irvings great gamble to go for the 2020 Memorial Cup will have been all for naught............

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
All seasons ticket holders received an email from the Moncton Wildcats indicating how they will be compensated for the last two home games of the regular season which were cancelled.

This paragraph was included at the end of the email:

So, Robert Irving & company are still holding onto a vain hope that the playoffs and Memorial Cup can be salvaged.

Here's my take on things:

- the current extreme measures instituted by the government and the provincial states of emergency will last considerably longer than the two weeks mentioned when the measures were instituted. This is necessary as the incubation period of COVID-19 can be as long as 14 days, and we need to see clear evidence that the rate of infection has decreased to nearly zero. If the rules are relaxed too soon, we will see a second spike of disease.

- I expect that the current situation will persist until the beginning of May, with a gradual lifting of restrictions and mandatory closures after that (but continuing travel bans and bans on large gathering lasting long after that).

- I think that if playoffs were to occur, they would not begin at the earliest until May 15th. Obviously that would be too late for a regular series of four playoff rounds. An alternate format playoffs would be necessary, perhaps with just the four top teams participating, either in truncated series (best of five), or a Memorial Cup style round robin tournament. The Memorial Cup would then follow in early June.

This is the best case type of scenario. I think it more likely that the season is toast, and Robert Irvings great gamble to go for the 2020 Memorial Cup will have been all for naught............
And the season is officially toast, to the surprise of nobody.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 10:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Hot off the presses

The CHL has officially called off the playoffs and the Memorial Cup.

Not a surprise really........

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 10:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I wonder if Irving negotiated a “pandemic clause” in any of his trade agreements.........

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 10:07 PM

Mika Cyr has committed to U de Moncton for next season.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 10:23 PM

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 12:55 PM

Hopefully this virus gets in check by next season so we can get our hockey back.

Its sad this year for the 20 year old players, last season and it ends like this.

I presumed that the NHL will be next as it is spreading wild in the US.

To Covid-19, not impressed! you stole hockey from us! Not impressed at all!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 11:02 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

With preseason hockey under way and the regular season not too far behind should we start a 2020-2021 thread? What is everyone's opinion on 1/4 attendance essentially having enough for season ticket holders?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
With preseason hockey under way and the regular season not too far behind should we start a 2020-2021 thread? What is everyone's opinion on 1/4 attendance essentially having enough for season ticket holders?
If you keep a Maritime division (bubble) I think you could increase the 25% capacity. Testing of course to isolate anybody who's positive.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
If you keep a Maritime division (bubble) I think you could increase the 25% capacity. Testing of course to isolate anybody who's positive.
Do you mean testing fans? There isn't going to be any testing of fans. I doubt the Q has the means nor the access to a 10-15 minute test accurate enough to to test thousands of people. The quick tests right now are not reliable enough although the new test that the NBA helped develop is supposed to be a gamechanger in terms of accuracy for a quick tests. I doubt we see any fans being tested though. The Q hasn't even said if the players are being tested. They did all quarentine for 14 days for training camp.

Interesting to think that with the OHL & WHL not started until december and Halifax capping fans at 1400, Moncton will have the highest attendance of an indoor sporting in Canada at the moment.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Do you mean testing fans? There isn't going to be any testing of fans. I doubt the Q has the means nor the access to a 10-15 minute test accurate enough to to test thousands of people. The quick tests right now are not reliable enough although the new test that the NBA helped develop is supposed to be a gamechanger in terms of accuracy for a quick tests. I doubt we see any fans being tested though. The Q hasn't even said if the players are being tested. They did all quarentine for 14 days for training camp.

Interesting to think that with the OHL & WHL not started until december and Halifax capping fans at 1400, Moncton will have the highest attendance of an indoor sporting in Canada at the moment.
No not the fans. But the teams, and staff. If the virus gets into a team, it can spread, even from team to team. Which could create a real problem for the schedule. We're fortunate that it's mostly under control in the Maritimes.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
No not the fans. But the teams, and staff. If the virus gets into a team, it can spread, even from team to team. Which could create a real problem for the schedule. We're fortunate that it's mostly under control in the Maritimes.
I hope they are doing testing every couple days, but it has not been confirmed anywhere that I've seen.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I hope they are doing testing every couple days, but it has not been confirmed anywhere that I've seen.
Same here. I can't imagine that they wouldn't be testing though. They'd pretty much have to, wouldn't they? How extensive I have no idea. Wildcats are looking good so far. This Loshing kid has a lot of skill, and he's happy to be here.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 6:26 PM

While I'll let someone more experienced to create the new thread. the max# for attendance has been revealed

(Source: @MikLalancette)

Bathurst : 1300
Cap-Breton : 1500
Halifax : 1900
Moncton : 2500
Saint-Jean : 1600
Charlottetown : TBD

Given the situation in Quebec at the moment, Those will be the highest numbers for at least October, as every regions is either max 250 people in a public gathering or no gathering at all.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
While I'll let someone more experienced to create the new thread. the max# for attendance has been revealed

(Source: @MikLalancette)

Bathurst : 1300
Cap-Breton : 1500
Halifax : 1900
Moncton : 2500
Saint-Jean : 1600
Charlottetown : TBD

Given the situation in Quebec at the moment, Those will be the highest numbers for at least October, as every regions is either max 250 people in a public gathering or no gathering at all.
Looks like the Wildcats have over 2000 season seats sold, as it appears there about 250 tickets for the general public each game. This weekends home opener has about 60 tickets left for purchase.

I'm not sure how the suites factor into this.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:58 AM

So do non=season-ticket holders just show up at the box office and hope like heck there's a ticket or two left? If so when do the tix go on sale? Or is there a new procedure for these weird times?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces