HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck4ABigChicago View Post
Harry's pics seem to indicate that this residential tower is really amongst some of the most dense, tallest corporate structures. This seems like an interesting setting, is this a new phenomenon (in Chicago or otherwise). It seems like an amazing place to live, right in the shadow of Aon and the Prus. Kind of like if they were to put residential in the wall street area or something.
Mm, well the closest thing Chicago has to Wall street is a little farther south, at the Board of Trade (pretty near the Sears Tower for those who don't know the city too well). There really is no NYC equivalent for where the Aon is, but yes, you're right, it's a mostly corporate setting. But corporate doesn't mean financial.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 2:36 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Except, that LSE is a residential neighborhood and always was. Its just a real residential area across the street from a real corporate area. Amaxingly, both will have similar densities.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 5:54 PM

It's bascially just like the mix of commercial and residential in midtown Manhattan. Which is a pretty sucessful model to be emulating.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 6:28 PM

Larger image of the Firefighter memorial.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 10:04 PM

i seem to remember biking past a similar looking firefighters memorial around the south end of the museum campus, or maybe near soldier field or the convention center. i know that's a pretty wide area, but does anyone know what i'm talking about?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 11:03 PM
Registered

^ Yeah, you're thinking of the Police memorial. It's far larger, more elaborate, and much more beautiful. Really a nice piece of design, actually - I was quite surprised. This firefighter memorial is underwhelming to me... kind of like, "Hmm, what do we do with that little island?"

By the way, it was designed by Wolff Clements and Associates, Ltd., according to what I found on-line. "John Ridenour is the project designer and landscape architect. Ted Wolff, ASLA, is the project principal." Interestingly, they are also the landscape firm for Aqua.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 11:44 PM

A question on that closeup: Isn't the base concrete? So are those fake mortar joints then?
Or is that actually a stone material?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 11:58 PM

I stopped by this site for the first time today. I brought my GF and her friend along as I walked around the city taking photos of all of the construction sites. I say they like to shop..... and I like to see tall buildings under construction!

I cant wait for this one to get a bit taller, then it will be much more interesting.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 12:12 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I think its better that the curves are starting earlier. The baclonies may go all the way around the building for all the hotel floors, but at least it will be more contiguous with the whole structure.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 12:36 AM

thanks, bande! hey, the waves are already slightly noticable on that second balcony on the north face. awesome! I have a feeling I'm gonna really like this building

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post

i seem to remember biking past a similar looking firefighters memorial around the south end of the museum campus, or maybe near soldier field or the convention center. i know that's a pretty wide area, but does anyone know what i'm talking about?
There is a Firefighters and Paramedics memorial on the lakeshore bike path, immediately south of McCormick Place. You're right dropdeaded209.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 2:54 AM

I don’t remember seeing this on the forum before, but apparently Aqua will be going for silver LEED certification. This is according to a Green Building Chicago brochure I picked up at the Chicago Architecture Foundation Museum. Has anyone else heard this before?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 5:46 PM

Link to the Aqua listing on the Magnusson Klemencic website :http://www.mka.com/markets.asp?mdx=23

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 6:12 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

^^^ Aqua looks very thin in some of those diagrams...guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
^^^ Aqua looks very thin in some of those diagrams...guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thin is In!

From a Nov. 21 article on www.bestchicagocondos.com:
...And architecturally, the taller, thinner buildings are becoming more appealing on several points than shorter, stockier buildings. They cast less of a shadow and create less of a impedance to the views of other towers. The slimmer design also, along with the technological advances in structural components, fares better in the wind and sways less. And finally, the more narrow width satisfies those with a bent towards ecology because they present less of a flight hazard for migrating birds and in some cases give off less reflective heat...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 8:23 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I know, I was commenting on Aqua in particular being thinner than the renderings let on.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 8:52 PM

well, i guess we've only seen renderings from the corner, so far. I don't think a thin aqua will look bad, honestly

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 10:08 PM
BANNED

^^^ Hell in my book, the thinner the better!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
I know, I was commenting on Aqua in particular being thinner than the renderings let on.
You know Alliance, I was thinking the same thing! My only guess is that it will fill out a bit more when the balconies are underway.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 12:57 AM

I'm not sure if this image has been posted before; I don't recall seeing it. It's from the Aqua website. www.lakeshoreeast.com/aqua-gallery.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive