HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^ But, to quote Oliver Twist, "may I please have more?" There's a nice corner lot left.
I like nice new buildings, but looking at the area now, it might be nice to have a little green space and keep full view of the old, recently re-touched building (I forget the name) behind that lot.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
"Might the rise of work-from-home and hybrid work schedules tip the scales in favor of a residential structure for the remaining lot at East Market?

“That’ll be dictated by Jefferson’s requirements,” says Killinger. “What will go on that site will depend on their future needs.”"

An interesting tidbit. So it looks like Jefferson actually has control over the last parcel and will have final say over what happens there. That actually makes me feel better about the security of the park as well, because if it's considered part of Jefferson's campus, it will likely get patrolled by campus security and have emergency call box buttons.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 12:57 AM

YIMBY Shares Detailed Coverage Of Topping-Out Ceremony For Jefferson Specialty Care Pavilion

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/02/yimb...nter-city.html

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 3:06 PM

I was wrong about this one.

I couldn't wait for it. Now I miss the character of the storefronts it sanitized. I understand it was a crappy parking garage above street level but from the street, this block had more character and activation than what this hospital will provide. IMHO.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

I couldn't wait for it. Now I miss the character of the storefronts it sanitized. I understand it was a crappy parking garage above street level but from the street, this block had more character and activation than what this hospital will provide. IMHO.
Besides the Beneficial bank, everything in this stretch was pretty rundown and crappy. Dunkin, a dollar store, electronics store, Metro PCS etc. Obviously I wish the residential tower was being built instead of the park but this is still a massive upgrade with a huge influx of people that will be supporting businesses nearby. If you miss those kind of businesses, there's plenty at the corner of 11th and Chestnut near the Taco Bell.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

I’m a pretty ardent preservationist, but even I can’t get on board with you with that one...

I remember how the entire block was before the new apartment buildings across the street were built. It was pretty run down.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Besides the Beneficial bank, everything in this stretch was pretty rundown and crappy. Dunkin, a dollar store, electronics store, Metro PCS etc. Obviously I wish the residential tower was being built instead of the park but this is still a massive upgrade with a huge influx of people that will be supporting businesses nearby. If you miss those kind of businesses, there's plenty at the corner of 11th and Chestnut near the Taco Bell.
You beat me to it. Agreed. There’s plenty of those kind of businesses everywhere else frankly. It’s not like we lost a small independent bookstore and a 100 year old bakery here lol.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
You beat me to it. Agreed. There’s plenty of those kind of businesses everywhere else frankly. It’s not like we lost a small independent bookstore and a 100 year old bakery here lol.
Airs Appliances was there! That place was awesome!

Ok, ok. I get it. Y'all right.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
What about the Hallmark store? /s

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 4:40 PM

I like this. Even with the park. Here's why - there are retailers across the street along Chestnut. There are also retailers across the street on 12th Street (7-11 and Mitchell & Ness). There will be at least one retail space in the ground floor of this tower fronting the park if I'm not mistaken....

LASTLY - probably the most awesome part... The Wayward (which is awesome by the way for those who haven't been there) in the ground floor of the Girard Building (Canopy by Hilton Hotel), has expressed interest in expanding their outdoor dining when the park is complete and having outdoor dining overlooking the park.

I'd MUCH rather have this new set up than the dreary rundown block it used to be.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I like this. Even with the park. Here's why - there are retailers across the street along Chestnut. There are also retailers across the street on 12th Street (7-11 and Mitchell & Ness). There will be at least one retail space in the ground floor of this tower fronting the park if I'm not mistaken....

LASTLY - probably the most awesome part... The Wayward (which is awesome by the way for those who haven't been there) in the ground floor of the Girard Building (Canopy by Hilton Hotel), has expressed interest in expanding their outdoor dining when the park is complete and having outdoor dining overlooking the park.

I'd MUCH rather have this new set up than the dreary rundown block it used to be.
The Wayward is absolutely fantastic. Went there on a date once.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 5:01 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

Isn't Wm. Mulherin's planning a 2nd smaller location somewhere in this mix?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
What about the Hallmark store? /s
I’ve been at a complete loss what to write on birthday cards since they closed.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 5:04 PM

^Looks like I need to stop by for lunch at some point! I didn’t realize that a new restaurant had set up shop, despite the fact that my building being very close to all the action, and I’m pretty much back in the office everyday at this point.

Although I’d highly prefer to have the residential tower, at least this project helps to spruce up a section of Chestnut Street that used to be VERY drab. Additionally, the two planned towers on 12th Street (12th and Samson and the Midwoood tower) should help to boost the residential density in the area.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Isn't Wm. Mulherin's planning a 2nd smaller location somewhere in this mix?
Yes, in the empty retail location on Ludlow across from the Wayward.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 7:45 PM

Initially, I was disappointed that the residential tower had been paused (or cancelled). But I visited the site recently and have changed my mind. Visualizing a park on that plot of land, the surrounding buildings overlooking the (imaginary) park give the block a really nice feel. This could work out for the best.

(Having said that, I hope the specific design of the residential tower is recycled for a different location - it looked good!)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 10:18 PM
Fishtown & Country

3/5

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 12:54 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

The glass on blart's second photo looks great. Not a huge fan of the facade on the other side of the tower, but that corner looks fantastic.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
The glass on blart's second photo looks great. Not a huge fan of the facade on the other side of the tower, but that corner looks fantastic.
The other side with the flat glass is where the potential second tower will show up right? I imagine that's why it looks like that

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 2:52 PM

I was walking home from the gym yesterday and was kind of taken aback at the impact this building already has on the streetscape. This one is a total game changer for East Market.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive