HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 10:07 PM
Closed account

The Hydrostone

So I've been thinking since I moved to this area.

Since The Hydrostone area is a national historic site and is generally considered "special" by many in HRM, why on earth did the city not place restrictions on what homeowners can do with their homes?

It seems like half of these houses are now coated with vinyl siding, almost completely destroying the historic character. Gross. What a shame.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 10:25 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

My only guess would be the winter. Those stones don't stop much cold air from getting inside. I agree with you though and have noticed the same.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 10:47 PM

While almost a century old, and unique in appearance by today's standards, the Hydrostone effectively represents the first example of a public housing project in North America. I wonder how long before Uniacke Square gets its historic designation?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
While almost a century old, and unique in appearance by today's standards, the Hydrostone effectively represents the first example of a public housing project in North America. I wonder how long before Uniacke Square gets its historic designation?
LOL - true. Also is the first example (that I know of) of Garden City Planning in North America, and is intimately tied to the Halifax Explosion. Plenty of reasons for historic designation

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
It seems like half of these houses are now coated with vinyl siding, almost completely destroying the historic character. Gross. What a shame.
About ten years ago, this was not seen as a desirable area. Not until the developer who owns the majority of the market strip on Young St. put some investment into those properties did the rest of the Hydrostone area become desirable. The residential streets closest to Young St. are the most intact... I would expect that to gradually move North as more people buy in the area do so because they are buying a Hydrostone.

I'm not sure what the timeline was like, but if I were to guess, I'd say that the designation came after the vinyl.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues