HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Nope!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 8:40 PM
Ham-burgher

How much expense did that car elevator added to the building cost?

I wonder if a new company taking over could negotiate to remove that altogether. I.e., zero car parking spaces on site. Or work out a deal for tenants in the municipal lot next door.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 5:00 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Ouch
lol ALL of that aged terribly. Meanwhile several years later we haven't heard anything about the Connolly aside from the usual pandemic excuses, never mind the "VERY soon".
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
lol ALL of that aged terribly. Meanwhile several years later we haven't heard anything about the Connolly aside from the usual pandemic excuses, never mind the "VERY soon".
Can't remember where I read it, but the last I heard a few months ago the current owner has basically abandoned the project. Something about financial issues again.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 10:08 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Is it just me or does it seem a handful of projects have stalled and new proposals have slowed to a trickle the last year? We had a flurry of proposals and construction starts the last 5 years but it seems all the buzz has gone dormant.

Hoping the lightening strikes again soon and we see all the stalled proposals start up and new proposals start rolling in again!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Is it just me or does it seem a handful of projects have stalled and new proposals have slowed to a trickle the last year? We had a flurry of proposals and construction starts the last 5 years but it seems all the buzz has gone dormant.

Hoping the lightening strikes again soon and we see all the stalled proposals start up and new proposals start rolling in again!
I kinda feel the same way. Covid could be playing a part.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Can't remember where I read it, but the last I heard a few months ago the current owner has basically abandoned the project. Something about financial issues again.
May want to read the previous page lol

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
May want to read the previous page lol
I was quoting a previous comment that mentioned The Connolly.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 3:07 AM

This situation is all too Hamilton.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 3:29 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:

Its true that a lot of projects have gone tits up since the pandemic happened but in the same time several projects have also been finished that started before it, or even some that started after have also finished. I think overall development in the Hammer is chugging along at a positive pace, with or without the pandemic being taken into consideration. Once we're finally out of it for awhile and LRT construction starts, I think we'll see a new boom. Land values have definitely caught up and I think banks aren't as skeptical to lend money as they would have been in Hamilton 5 years ago.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 1:15 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
How much is this just the nature of the business? Hamilton has only recently reached a point where there's enough momentum and reason to believe development prospects are positive. The stalled LRT decision didn't help either, for the core or major redevelopments along the route (e.g., Eastgate, Main W.)

matt602 noted skepticism about financing from banks. This has been an issue downtown for a long, long time. I too think that's changing, and it's becoming more about the individual developers (i.e., the Stinsons of the world) for the lenders rather than the downtown and other parts of the city being no-go zones for financing large residential projects that are not single-family homes and townhouse complexes.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 1:20 PM

I'm not sure I would say the pace of proposals has slowed. Most DRP meetings have a good number of projects on them.

2019 and 2020 had a huge number of units proposed in the downtown, enough to supply years of Hamilton's growth, so it was never sustainable to have a new 2-tower, 700 unit proposal every month.

Downtown Hamilton has an insane amount of proposed developments right now, far more than it has ever had, I'm more concerned about making sure they change from proposed to actually under construction. That seems to be happening more this year than any other year before too, so I remain hopeful.

There are still a bunch of low margin operators in the downtown trying to squeeze by like what historically happened in the core, this project included, as well as other projects like The Connoley, Moderne, Stinson, etc... but also a lot of well heeled, big players who are more likely to actually build and have real financing behind them like Slate, Emblem, Bentall Kennedy, Lamb, Kaneff, Rosehaven, etc. These are all medium-large builders in the GTA who have a long history of successfully building and should have no problem getting their projects done.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 2:04 PM

Downton Hamilton has something like 12,000 units proposed right now and 2500 under construction. Hamilton's downtown is about to explode. Once those 2500 units are done there will be even more under construction and Hamilton's downtown will have 3500 new residents roaming around.

The point about multiple towers every year not being sustainable was part of the point that Thorne made to me when speaking about the height limit. The height limit ensures that all the demand doesn't get concentrated into too small an area, and all parts of the downtown and eastern urban areas see growth. We don't want to wait 50 years for Centre on Barton to be redeveloped. I'd love to see it get started in the next 10. If we produce enough supply in one section of the city though, that will never happen.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 2:27 PM

I wonder if 3500 more people in the downtown core will be visibly noticeable. I think it will be.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 2:29 PM

very much will be. The impact from the Royal Connaught alone is quite noticeable downtown and that's a much smaller project..

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 4:34 PM

I've been living downtown since 2018, and it's been very noticeable. Bars and restaurants we used to go to and they always had space are now packed, despite there being more bars than before. When sitting in the front of Farside we counted 50 people approximately be turned away at the door at full non-covid capacity a few weeks ago.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 8:22 PM
Burger Connoisseur

All very good points/responses to my question. Thank you everyone you set my mind at ease haha. Happy St.Patty's Day 🍻

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 1:40 PM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 11:00 PM

I wonder if some developer would be tempted to go bigger.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I wonder if some developer would be tempted to go bigger.
I was wondering this as well. From what I can tell 44 meters is the max here. not saying it will happen but defiantly something taller is possible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton