HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
The student tower at Peachtree Place and Spring is going to start at the end of July. There is a gay party being thrown in the old wet bar spot and the flier says it's the last dance before demolition.
These student projects must be very easy to fund(?)--

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOONERFALCON View Post
I see how Miami, Austin, Houston, Chicago, NYC, and LA are all getting supertalls and Atlanta is settling on 20 to 35 story proposals. What is the reason behind it? This a growing metro area and with downtown, midtown, and buckhead, I would have expect to see something built now or in the future. The Opus 2 is taking forever.
Opus 2 appears to be a real estate scam-- I'll believe it when I see it-- they paid somebody to dig a big hole to look like work had started. Now they need to pay someone to trim the weeds that have grown in the hole--

20-35 story buildings are a LOT easier to get financed-- there is just not demand for anything much taller right now. A fifty story office building would likely eat all office demand for a few years and nothing else would get built. A combo office, apartment, hotel might work, but that would be very hard to get financed in today's overly specialized market. Its a lot easier to gamble on filling up 15 floors of office space rather than 50, especially post Covid-19.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
I don't think so-- Dallas, Houston, Miami, Seattle likely have more-- And you are right what happens at street level is so much more important than building height. Sacrilege on Skyscraperpage, I know--

dallas, atl, seattle have 5, houston has 12, miami has 6.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
Opus 2 appears to be a real estate scam-- I'll believe it when I see it-- they paid somebody to dig a big hole to look like work had started. Now they need to pay someone to trim the weeds that have grown in the hole--

20-35 story buildings are a LOT easier to get financed-- there is just not demand for anything much taller right now. A fifty story office building would likely eat all office demand for a few years and nothing else would get built. A combo office, apartment, hotel might work, but that would be very hard to get financed in today's overly specialized market. Its a lot easier to gamble on filling up 15 floors of office space rather than 50, especially post Covid-19.
CBenderAtl, claimed that news about Opus 2 was coming on his twitter recently.

Also it is the zoning that is really determining building heights in Midtown. 30-40 tends to be the max except on properties where they can leave a lot of space low-rise or undeveloped, Selig tower has a 1/4-1/3 of the property as a 2-3 story structure which all that untapped height can be used on the main building. Or some properties transferred development rights from historically protected properties

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
dallas, atl, seattle have 5, houston has 12, miami has 6.

Don't forget L.A. & San Francisco. L.A has 10 and SF has 6.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Don't forget L.A. & San Francisco. L.A has 10 and SF has 6.
Well, depending on the final mechanical crown for Crescent's proposed 65 story apartment, SF will have 9 above 700 in the next few years.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 3:49 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
The student tower at Peachtree Place and Spring is going to start at the end of July. There is a gay party being thrown in the old wet bar spot and the flier says it's the last dance before demolition.
Ugh...parties during Covid!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
Ugh...parties during Covid!
Yeah...and the thousands of people going to Publix and Kroger. Smh. Lol

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Yeah...and the thousands of people going to Publix and Kroger. Smh. Lol
You can't seriously be equating these to be the same, people wear masks inside Publix and Kroger. They won't be at the advertised party that was mentioned. In case you're not paying attention, this isn't a joke.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 2:46 AM

I just feel that there's more than just its affordable to build 20-30 story bldg. or the zone permit issue. I believe that they don't have the demand occupation space for that much square footage such as NYC, Miami in residential and hotel, Austin as a tech Giant with UT, and LA.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 12:56 PM

Why do we have this discussion ever month? Do people not understand zoning? Midtown heights are maxed out by the zoning FAR for the district. To go higher requires large land lots and leaving part of the land unbuilt/parking or obtaining development rights from other properties in the district. Until the city changes the zoning FAR buildings will be maxed out at around 25 stories for most property in midtown.

FAR regulations are determined based on the ability of infrastructure to adequately meet demand for the fully built environment. FAR is not likely to increase any time soon. It’s not even under consideration for midtown as it’s not needed currently and infrastructure isn’t expanding in the area to sustain higher FAR values. The current boom shows the FAR is working as buildings are being built covering the full lots instead of leaving gaps like in the past where you have highrises surrounded by empty land/trees/parking thus creating dead zones in the urban fabric.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 1:42 PM

We want to see highrises like Chi-town and you want to settle for Winston Salem and Richmond VA mentality.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 2:00 PM

I am not advocating for anything. I’m just giving facts about midtown zoning regs. Good grief Charlie Brown!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Jul 13, 2020 at 2:37 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 3:06 PM

Quote:
We want to see highrises like Chi-town and you want to settle for Winston Salem and Richmond VA mentality.
It's not about what he or she wants, just telling you why things are the way they are. ZONING

Last edited by alco89; Jul 13, 2020 at 3:19 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 3:23 PM

And in addition to the zoning, economics. Why would a company build a 1000ft headquarters when they could build a 300ft headquarters with the same square footage for much cheaper, with many more efficiencies (e.g. fewer elevators needed, larger floor plates).

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Neither of those cities are getting 30 floor office and residential buildings on the regular like Atlanta.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
You can't seriously be equating these to be the same, people wear masks inside Publix and Kroger. They won't be at the advertised party that was mentioned. In case you're not paying attention, this isn't a joke.
No it’s not a joke. But in case you didn’t know, there are a lot of people who are not keeping their mask on once in store. Also, there are plenty of these parties that haven’t ever stopped. You might be surprised how many places are running these parties that have security and everything and you can’t park next to the venue. These places are posing as closed.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 6:03 PM

Completely off topic: 960 Warehouse was THE place to party. It lost its energy when it became Wetbar/Blu. Regardless, these ‘parties’ need to be stopped. People attending are idiots! That’s the opinion of someone who has hit all the hot circuit spots around the world over the past 25 years. Give it a break for a few months and get things under control.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 8:25 PM

Thanks for the open discussion

Didn't know so many people would go up in little flames about it. I know our situation, just more an open dialogue.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
No it’s not a joke. But in case you didn’t know, there are a lot of people who are not keeping their mask on once in store.
Perhaps that's going on in L.A., but it isn't around here.

Quote:
Also, there are plenty of these parties that haven’t ever stopped. You might be surprised how many places are running these parties that have security and everything and you can’t park next to the venue. These places are posing as closed.
And the people going are idiots.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations