HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
This puzzles me. I understand protecting the power lines, but there could be a LOT of ways of bringing shade and/or plants. Use desert-friendly plants, build shade structures (maybe some with PV), and the occasional bench. People REALLY want a space that changes the parking lot feel of Phoenix, and the canals have long been a place that people gravitate towards. Reward this instinct, and I think that the city politicians will get maximum bang for the buck. It's way cheaper per mile than streets, and WAY cheaper than Hanse Park renovations (at least in terms of per user).
Yea, I assume that the cost to maintain landscaping is ALOT. Plus I think maybe other things like benches and amenities can be targets for vandalism.

I guess my recommendation would be is to start with some hubs near intersections. Add amenities and landscaping there and build from there. Would be awesome to even have a little stand for drinks/smoothies/snacks, etc with some little tables and such. I know, i know, I'm dreaming.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 6:02 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The loops are to be installed at 3rd Ave and 5th St.

https://www.valleymetro.org/project/...n-downtown-hub

The project only goes as far as 3rd Ave for them to build the Capitol tracks without mucking everything up again.
Oops! The tracks are being staged on 5th Street, not 3rd. My bad!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Nice! I take it this is for the south central line? Will they do the Capitol extension though downtown at the same time? Or are they will too unsure on the specific route?
Yes, they will extending to I-10 West/State Capitol from downtown Phoenix.

Yes, they will extending from Downtown Phoenix to Central/Baseline Rd.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Yes, they will extending to I-10 West/State Capitol from downtown Phoenix.

Yes, they will extending from Downtown Phoenix to Central/Baseline Rd.
I understand that, but I was asking if they will start on the Capital line now. I'm not sure if they would start because the specific route is still TBD and could have an impact on the lines downtown depending on the route chosen.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 11:33 PM
Modulator

Quote:
I understand that, but I was asking if they will start on the Capital line now. I'm not sure if they would start because the specific route is still TBD and could have an impact on the lines downtown depending on the route chosen.
Hard to find any information on this from the Valley Metro site although it still says 2024 completion. If so, I would imagine they would need to start in the next year to make that timeline. I think the environmental phase was to have been completed by the end of 2020. But can't find much else on the current status.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 12:56 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Hard to find any information on this from the Valley Metro site although it still says 2024 completion. If so, I would imagine they would need to start in the next year to make that timeline. I think the environmental phase was to have been completed by the end of 2020. But can't find much else on the current status.
The last I heard was that they had selected a preferred route around the Capitol area and were now proceeding to the environmental analysis as a precursor to seeking federal funds.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The last I heard was that they had selected a preferred route around the Capitol area and were now proceeding to the environmental analysis as a precursor to seeking federal funds.
I think this is good because the west side of downtown towards the capitol is absolutely prime for future development in the coming years.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 12:50 AM
self-important urbanista

Valley Metro just presented its rankings of recommended corridors and modes for high-capacity transit to the Chandler Transportation Commission. The study results recommended Arizona Avenue as the best corridor with BRT as the most favored mode with light rail as a close second choice. Of course, Arizona Avenue already had BRT-lite with the East Valley Link service a decade ago. That route was eventually scrapped. If Valley Metro tries again, I hope it goes for full-fledged BRT with dedicated lanes that can eventually be upgraded to light rail if warranted.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 1:15 AM
Skyriser

Running BRT in a choice corridor is dumb. There's a disused rail corridor two blocks away, this should be a no-brainer upgrade to LRT.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Running BRT in a choice corridor is dumb. There's a disused rail corridor two blocks away, this should be a no-brainer upgrade to LRT.
Yes, they will have light rail to Chandler via Arizona Avenue. This is right choice. BRT is not an options. It won't be BRT.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 9:50 PM
self-important urbanista

Valley Metro has begun single track operations with trains every 30 minutes while track work occurs downtown to build the new hub. They're going to be doing this for two weeks now and then again for two weeks in March. I had lunch with my family on the patio of the Crown Public House today, and it was weird to see trains in both directions using the 3rd St / Jefferson platform. It's usually only for eastbound trains. To its credit, Valley Metro is running three-car trains to offset the crowding that 30-minute headways could lead to. I found this reassuring when contemplating the return to my usual weekday commute after the holiday weekend. It was also interesting to see the track along Washington Street near 5th Street completely torn up.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 4:34 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Valley Metro has begun single track operations with trains every 30 minutes while track work occurs downtown to build the new hub. They're going to be doing this for two weeks now and then again for two weeks in March. I had lunch with my family on the patio of the Crown Public House today, and it was weird to see trains in both directions using the 3rd St / Jefferson platform. It's usually only for eastbound trains. To its credit, Valley Metro is running three-car trains to offset the crowding that 30-minute headways could lead to. I found this reassuring when contemplating the return to my usual weekday commute after the holiday weekend. It was also interesting to see the track along Washington Street near 5th Street completely torn up.
I was checking it out over the weekend too. They are also building the turnaround at McKinley/Central concurrently with 5th St. which I did not know they would be doing at the same time.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I was checking it out over the weekend too. They are also building the turnaround at McKinley/Central concurrently with 5th St. which I did not know they would be doing at the same time.
I don't understand -- isn't there a turnaround track between Central and 1st Ave at McKinley already?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX06 View Post
I don't understand -- isn't there a turnaround track between Central and 1st Ave at McKinley already?
That's what i thought also

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:10 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
The current track is a south-facing U shape. The diagrams and maps on Valley Metro's site make it look like a north-facing U shape is being added at the same location.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:38 PM

Quote:
The current track is a south-facing U shape. The diagrams and maps on Valley Metro's site make it look like a north-facing U shape is being added at the same location.
Hmm. Weird. I mean the trains can go backwards so I don't understand the need. Maybe there are some uses emergency cases I'm not thinking of, but it would seem if needed it would only take a few extra minutes to put the train in reverse to get it the other track from the opposite direction.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:46 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Hmm. Weird. I mean the trains can go backwards so I don't understand the need. Maybe there are some uses emergency cases I'm not thinking of, but it would seem if needed it would only take a few extra minutes to put the train in reverse to get it the other track from the opposite direction.
Turning a train around like that would take a lot longer, though. The operator would have to advance past the loop, move to the other end of the train, make the turn, and then switch back to the other end of the train. The disruption to other trains traveling at the same time would be more pronounced.

What I'm not clear about, though, is why a train heading south from Midtown would need to turn around at McKinley. I know that once the South Central line opens in 2024, the routing of trains will be different, but I can't foresee a situation in which a train would turn around before it reaches the core of downtown.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 6:38 PM

I figured the south-facing U-shape would be the northern turnaround point for trains running the South Central line. Adding a north-facing U-shape seems odd -- especially if it's for emergency purposes. I feel like it would have been built with the original line if that were the case.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 7:32 PM
Modulator

I would imagine the North-facing turnaround would be needed if there were an emergency such as a car wreck over the tracks South of McKinley, but North of Central Station. This would at least keep the Northern stretch of light rail to be easily managed and moving in such a case instead of trying to turn the trains around such as exit stated. I don't think it will be in use very much.

Quote:
I figured the south-facing U-shape would be the northern turnaround point for trains running the South Central line. Adding a north-facing U-shape seems odd -- especially if it's for emergency purposes. I feel like it would have been built with the original line if that were the case.
Maybe just an afterthought to what they didn't plan on previously. They knew eventually that the expansions were going to happen, so why not just wait to build an emergency turnaround down the road? That would be my guess anyway.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 9:43 PM
self-important urbanista

I reached out to a contact at Valley Metro and received the following reply:

The McKinley turnaround track only allows trains to change track in one direction. This hasn’t impacted us too badly so far, but when we do additional tie-in work in the downtown core, we would like to reduce the overall single-tracking headways. The February/March installation at McKinley will give Valley Metro the ability to turn around trains in a shorter distance/timeframe, which will create more efficiency throughout the system and reduce rider delay for later construction work on the active line.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest