HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 11:49 PM
Forever forward.

188 Cannon Street East | 100.3m | 32 fl | Proposed

Saw this site up for sale on realtor.ca this evening. $3.5 million. Current a vacant laundromat. Looks like the sellers think the new owner could get 26 storeys, that's what the preliminary rendering indicates. I don't know who the architect is, but it looks like a KNYMH design to my eye.

realtor.ca link

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 11:15 PM
Hammer'd

seems like a pretty ambitious concept for that site but I guess its just marketing material at this point.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 4:33 PM

Considering they did dry cleaning there, probably only a big building is worth spending the dollars to clean up the site.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:19 AM
Ham-burgher

I doubt more than 15 or so storeys would be approved. Something 12-15 may work well, with enough bulk to maximize the units.

I think Cannon between York and Wellington has plenty of potential to redevelop into a mid-rise corridor, with renos and expansions of the existing stock.

The city can go taller from Wilson south.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I doubt more than 15 or so storeys would be approved. Something 12-15 may work well, with enough bulk to maximize the units.

I think Cannon between York and Wellington has plenty of potential to redevelop into a mid-rise corridor, with renos and expansions of the existing stock.

The city can go taller from Wilson south.
I'm skeptical something that small would be worth it considering the contamination.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 6:05 PM
Ham-burgher

Hopefully something is built. The worst outcome would be that lot sitting vacant or used as parking for a long time. Not that it doesn't have plenty of company in that part of town.

Just eyeballing the site on a map it looks similar in size to 220 Cannon, and could probably support a building with a similar footprint.

Edit: It's designated "High Rise 2" (up to 30 storeys allowed) under the downtown secondary plan (map is on page 52 of that PDF; source page on the city's website here). So maybe your speculation would end up being right drpgq.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Aug 5, 2019 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 5:15 PM

Construction fencing just went up around this site. Not sure if there's a way to see whether a demo permit has been applied for?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Construction fencing just went up around this site. Not sure if there's a way to see whether a demo permit has been applied for?
I think it might have been a result of a fire. There are no permits for this site.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 9:22 PM

They started tearing down the existing building yesterday, it's already pretty much gone. Anyone know of an actual development on the horizon or is it just going to be another parking lot for now?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 10:04 PM

As far as I can tell there isn't even a FC filed here yet, so nothing official so far.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 12:01 AM

https://twitter.com/JoeyColeman/stat...FgHTXc9zA&s=19

The partial demolition of 188 Cannon Street East has been done without a permit, reports @CHCHNews.
City Hall has issued a stop work order. We'll see if City Hall actually levies meaningful fines for a change. #yhmcc #HamOnt

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 5:12 AM
Ham-burgher

Hamilton is clearly the Wild West of the GTHA building market.
(though if a certain developer with the initials DV owns this, it's just modus operandi)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 2:59 PM

A Formal Consultation was submitted for 188 Cannon street East:

"To develop a 32-storey mixed-use building, with 146m2 of at-grade retail, and 358 residential units. Includes 142 parking spaces."

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 5:42 PM
Hamilton Historian

I think we can agree the cyan coloring is pretty much the only thing this development has got going for it - but hey, at least they're trying to make cannon st better, and it's just replacing a laundromat..

I wonder what steps they have done for soil remediation on the plot? I hope they have taken that into consideration.

They honestly could just demolish most of cannon st - which is probably what will happen over time.

I wonder how it got the name cannon st..

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:56 PM

The design with the cyan is likely outdated and relevant anymore

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 10:45 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
The design with the cyan is likely outdated and relevant anymore
Soo.. what, we're gonna go back to boring black and white colours? Lol..

I always welcome colour but the only time they seem to plaster it on anything these days is on low income housing complexes through vinyl cladding finishes..

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 3:33 AM
It's a nickname from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I wonder how it got the name cannon st..
and down the rabbit hole I went. I actually keep a book on the origins of Hamilton street names, in which Cannon Street is absent. Further, the Wikipedia page calls its origins something of a mystery.

I then thought it could be in reference to the Cannon Street in London, a not-insignificant street in of itself and not impossible for ours to be named for. Wikipedia told me this;

"The area around Cannon Street was initially the place of residence of the candle-makers. The name first appears as Candelwrichstrete (i.e. "Candlewright Street") in 1190.[1] The name was shortened over 60 times[1] as a result of the local cockney dialect and settled on Cannon Street in the 17th century,[2] and is therefore not related to the firearms."

So in short... dunno.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 6:54 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
and down the rabbit hole I went. I actually keep a book on the origins of Hamilton street names, in which Cannon Street is absent. Further, the Wikipedia page calls its origins something of a mystery.

I then thought it could be in reference to the Cannon Street in London, a not-insignificant street in of itself and not impossible for ours to be named for. Wikipedia told me this;

"The area around Cannon Street was initially the place of residence of the candle-makers. The name first appears as Candelwrichstrete (i.e. "Candlewright Street") in 1190.[1] The name was shortened over 60 times[1] as a result of the local cockney dialect and settled on Cannon Street in the 17th century,[2] and is therefore not related to the firearms."

So in short... dunno.
Lol.. yeah I have the same book - I still love thinking it had something to do with cannons hahaha - candles would make more sense though..

I wonder if that story is.. canon.. hehe.. play on words..

Last edited by Chronamut; Mar 14, 2024 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 11:37 PM
Ham-burgher

I've often wondered if it was named for someone; a surname in this case (as opposed to James, John, Mary, Catharine, etc.). And was it always Cannon St.?

If there's a Cannon family or individual plot in the Hamilton Cemetery, I'd wager there's a link.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 11:41 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I've often wondered if it was named for someone; a surname in this case (as opposed to James, John, Mary, Catharine, etc.). And was it always Cannon St.?
I know that's definitely the case for roads running north to south, as they subdivide old farm plots - like the Gages etc. The core city street names are named after royalty - James st, king st queen st duke st king william etc. Other street names with peoples names are named after the children of the original farm plot families. I know one of the such families and all the kids have streets named after them in the city.

but barton street was originally a town.. I did stumble across this:

Cannon Street was originally called Henry Street. The section between Bay and James Streets was called Miles Street. The origins of the Cannon street name remains a mystery for local historians. Cannon Street today at Brian Timmis/ former Ivor Wynne Stadium/ Tim Horton's Field location is also known as Bernie Faloney Way which is named after the quarterback who played for the local CFL team, Hamilton Ti-Cats, between the years of 1957-64.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton