HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 10:07 AM
Chicago

The Sinclair - 1201 N LaSalle

May 5, 2017

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 10:07 AM
Chicago

Viceroy Hotel - 1118 N State

May 5, 2017

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 12:55 PM

OK, what an awesome update, SolarWind! Thanks.

3Eleven: turning out to be a nicer infill tower than I expected

Centrum Hubbard: I don't know what it is, but when I see architecture conforming to the curve of the L like this (or even when the South Hall of McCormick Place conforms to the curve of a highway ramp), I find it very sexy... (clearly something I should explore with my therapist)

Aurielien: Wow. What an incredible piece of shit.... the eagles are cool, though. This has got to be one of the worst towers in Chicago to be constructed in a generation... particularly given it's visual impact on the Rush/Gold Coast neighborhood....

Old Town Park: Huh. Didn't realize that two blank podium floors would be facing Division/Wells while the liner product would be facing the internal sides of the building... maybe that's OK, can't remember how they are cladding the parking... still seems unfortunate... also, not crazy about the spandrel glass detailing on the back instead of continuing the floor-to-ceiling glass, but I guess they ran up against the Chicago energy code thingy... wish they found a different vocabulary devise instead of forcing us all to read the spandrel glass as the same thing as the floor-to-ceiling...

Tower of Jewel and Viceroy both look very promising... can't wait to get back to that part of town to feel the full impact...

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
May 5, 2017

^ 676 N LaSalle in background

http://stonerealestate.com/wp-conten...owe-Bro-11.pdf
lol on the guy pointing!

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 2:33 PM

Man, what a massive contribution Solarwind! Thank you.

The Marlowe will be another nice addition to River North. With the addition of all the new apartments in the area, I can only assume the 1st floor of all these new buildings will have extensive retail or restaurants, right?

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
The Marlowe will be another nice addition to River North. With the addition of all the new apartments in the area, I can only assume the 1st floor of all these new buildings will have extensive retail or restaurants, right?
Yup, if you look at renderings for The Marlowe you will see a large amount of retail space dedicated to the 1st floor. The same will be true for 640 N. Wells and The Gallery on Wells.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:02 PM
The City

Great pics. Nice to see the old facade back on the Viceroy. It does look dirty in places, though. Is that the best clean up they could do?

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:10 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
This one screams out to be posted again. FANTASTIC design. B+L shows how modern and contextual is done without being dumb, sloppy, clumsy or faux nostalgic. Great stuff.

And TUP and LVDW: This is what you call an appropriately logical use and density for this area (although assuming if gets a haircut before being approved)....
I'm actually totally fine with the west loop being full of less tall buildings (not more then 20 stories). I think a district can be vibrant, dense, and still an attractive place for offices without going too vertical

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:38 PM

Quote:
May 5, 2017

I have to admit, that blue glass looks sexy between all that red brick. Kind of wish that building was curvy at some part of it. Maybe north end of it.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:47 PM

P.S. can we get some more Viceroy buildings in chicago?

If anyone is free I highly recommend heading to Toyota park today for Cinco de mayo fest. good food, drinks, and culture. And they make their drinks heavy so grab a cab.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Aurélien
Interesting their website uses the diacritic too. Though a conscious marketing decision, in some eras in some places that might be a negative on balance, but clearly here they viewed it as desirable. As a weird coincidence, just saw a journalist named Aurélien Mondon on tv analyzing the France presidential campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
As mentioned, it's bKL......
Some pages back there was talk of previously having seen a model in the BKL office; I hadn't seen anything confirmed as current, especially given the (head fake?) blurb about a very tall building coming. Usually when a Spyguy announcement rolls around, there is at last something definitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
Aurielien: Wow. What an incredible piece of shit.... the eagles are cool, though. This has got to be one of the worst towers in Chicago to be constructed in a generation... particularly given it's visual impact on the Rush/Gold Coast neighborhood....
Is everybody aware that this is also a view-terminating tower along the Pearson corridor, from as far east as LSD. (From only Mies VDR in summer, when Pearson foliage blocks it from LSD.) A rare phenomenon in our hyper-gridded city. (From that distance I wouldn't call it overly bad; it even kind of shouts "big city.")

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 7:40 PM

yeah it is bulky enough to at least block what you used to do in that area and stare off at blank sky, which is helpful in boxing in that part of town and making it feel bigger

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:10 AM

Atrium Villiage

May 4

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:22 AM

165 N Desplanes

Apr 27

May 2

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:20 AM

This is the only 'high-rise' on this months plan commission agenda and it could be a contentious one.

3. A proposed planned development, submitted by Jefferson Place LLC, for the property generally located at 4849 North Lipps Avenue. The site is currently zoned B3-3 (Community Shopping) and M1-1 (Limited Manufacturing/Business Park). The applicant proposes to rezone the site to B3-5 prior to establishing this planned development which will be divided into two sub areas. Sub Area A will include a 211’4” tall, 16-story building containing ground floor retail, 114 dwelling units and 200 vehicular, parking spaces. Sub Area B contains a 140’ tall, 10-story building with ground floor retail, offices and 216 accessory, vehicular, parking spaces; no changes are proposed to the building in this sub area. (45th Ward)

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 1:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
May 5, 2017

What an update! Does anyone know the story on these awesome eagles at 833 N Clark? The building itself wouldn't be too bad if the beige portion was painted black. Maybe someday..

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 1:28 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
What an update! Does anyone know the story on these awesome eagles at 833 N Clark? The building itself wouldn't be too bad if the beige portion was painted black. Maybe someday..
They were part of the parking lot for the bank immediately south of the site, on the NE corner of Clark/Chicago, on which this building was sited.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 1:44 PM
BANNED

^Thanks, but what about before that?

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:17 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
43 stories...

----
360 W Erie - looks like they made some improvements to the ground floor (although still parking, so not sure how much it will really help versus brick, but it does look less bunker-like)

Belgravia is about to begin two condo projects then (have they even started marketing the 360 W Erie units?).....they also have 403 N. Wabash.....

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:21 PM
Urbane observer

The stone eagles were on the bank itself (originally the German Bank of Chicago). I believe the eagles were mounted on the Clark & Chicago corner of the original 1920 building facing Chicago Ave. An addition built in 1930 to the north was replaced in 1995 by an expansion of the bank building, the drive-thru, and the parking lot, and the eagles were grounded at that time. Oddly, they're not mentioned in the Landmarks report.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations