HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It is good to see concrete buildings like this being torn down.
I thought the exact opposite. Hah, it's all about what we like I guess

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
This is an old post from Bedford_DJ. It is good to see concrete buildings like this being torn down. This Gladstone development looks great.

It's a shame that ugly L-shaped cookie-cutter apartment building behind the CNIB was approved. I'm surprised the new building will be rentals -- Gladstone sold out pretty quickly and I would think condos there would do the same.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 4:05 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It's a shame that ugly L-shaped cookie-cutter apartment building behind the CNIB was approved. I'm surprised the new building will be rentals -- Gladstone sold out pretty quickly and I would think condos there would do the same.
I actually like the L-shaded building. I think that it goes well with the Gladstone towers.

Now that the North End is moving forward, more has to be done to get people living in the downtown core (A few thousand more people living in the downtown core would do wonders for revitalizing the area). Hopefully the anti-development forces will realize this and allow more highrises.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 8:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Funny thing is I vaguely remember a Herald article from back when the L-shaped building was proposed about ten years ago. It had the standard complaints about height, wind, shadows, and increased traffic. As far as I can recall, nobody was too caught up about how ugly the thing is.

Something else I should mention is that $2000 for an 1,800-2,000 sq. foot penthouse with rooftop garden is kind of depressing for me. I pay almost that much for a much smaller main floor of an average sized house in Vancouver (Kitsilano).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 9:54 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Something else I should mention is that $2000 for an 1,800-2,000 sq. foot penthouse with rooftop garden is kind of depressing for me. I pay almost that much for a much smaller main floor of an average sized house in Vancouver (Kitsilano).
An average detached home (bungalow) in the Vancouver area is now close to $1,000,000 (if condos are included in the average then it comes down to about $650 K) - source http://www.vancouversun.com/business...998/story.html . There is a boom in real estate prices in the Toronto area also.

House prices in the Halifax area are a bargain, however the Halifax area is also seeing healthy real estate increases and strong housing growth (http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1176201.html). Regarding the North End of the peninsula is the following quote from this Chronicle Herald story:

Quote:
Agents have complained buyers can’t find homes for sale in areas where they want to live, he said.

"In terms of just appeal and what seems to be getting a lot of buzz, it’s the north end of the peninsula," Honsberger said.
Things are looking good for North End Halifax.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth