HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 3:43 AM

(I can't reveal my source. The new name is a secret at the moment) Well, not anymore because of my last post.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 5:33 AM

I could swear I heard it from multiple outlets about a month ago that the Copper Square moniker was getting phased out.

I think this Jahna Berry blog entry was where it came from first.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/jahnaberry/25866

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 8:43 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_PD View Post
I'm curious, in this picture you can see "T.O.F." written in white letters on the wall. Does that stand for "top of foundation"?
Top of Footing

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 10:59 AM

^ Thanks, that makes more sense. Anyway, progress continues:

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 8:54 PM

What exactly are the doing right now? This doesn't look much like a parking garage and why are they only working on half the lot while the other half isn't even fully excavated?

They are also starting to do quite a bit of work on the Patriot's Square block, demolishing some of the planters, sidewalk, etc on the south end of the park.

Here are some daytime pictures from today...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 9:36 PM

Just got an email from CityScape...no mention of any apartments, which I thought were part of the first phase.

Quote:
CityScape is preparing to go vertical.

A 250 foot tower crane was placed on the middle block of the project recently, representing a major construction milestone for CityScape. Phase I, on schedule to open in December 2009, includes a 565,000 square-foot office building, approximately 200,000 square-feet of retail and restaurant space and 1,250 below grade parking spaces.

Your continued support of the CityScape project is greatly appreciated. We will continue to keep you updated on the project as construction milestones are achieved. For more information on the project, visit www.CityScapePHX.com

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 12:48 AM

Ugh i really hope the appartments are built. I believe they are a very important aspect of cityscape and without them this project will sink even lower.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 6:28 AM

Great names.

'Downtoen Phoenix" is not mentioned in the blog. But my source says that's the name in first place at the moment. It could change.

Readers suggested: "Urban Heat Vortex" & "Pretentious Palisades"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkoto View Post
I could swear I heard it from multiple outlets about a month ago that the Copper Square moniker was getting phased out.

I think this Jahna Berry blog entry was where it came from first.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/jahnaberry/25866

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 6:37 AM

So

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
so, is it 34 stories or 36 stories...

http://southwest.construction.com/fe...07_cover_1.asp July 2008

Charlotte, N.C-based Wachovia Corporation will anchor the 27-story 600,000-sq-ft Class A office tower. This building is targeted for LEED certification, with high-performance glazing systems and electrical and mechanical systems to optimize efficiency.

Adjacent to this will be a 34-story tower. San Francisco-based Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants will operate a 250-room Hotel Palomar up to the 14th floor. From the 15th floor, the phase two building will include 165 luxury residential condominium units.

RED expects the first phase to open in 2009 and the entire project to be complete by 2011.

All of the neagtive people on here yet we are getting everything as promised minus 85' from the 500' tower. Not bad considering the rest of the country is in a meltdown. RED should go for 500' and copy 2000' Chicago Spire as a city tallest. The spire is 30% Sold out and it's still a hole in the ground.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 9:23 AM

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:18 PM

Even on a Sunday night there were people working on this thing?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 7:45 PM

Yeah, I think they've been working at least 20 hours a day since they started the foundation. I expect that will continue for the duration of the project.

Edit: Here is a quote from an article about the Sheraton. "Most days they run from 1:00 in the morning until 10:00 at night during the week." That seems to be about the same time-frame CityScape is using right now. So 1 am is technically the Monday morning shift.

Last edited by PHX_PD; Jul 28, 2008 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 6:45 AM

Thanx.

PHX, Thank you for the picture updates. That crew is working fast!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 12:11 PM

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 2:54 PM

Its just amazing! I cant believe there are such dramatic differences in such a short time.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 6:57 AM

Say good bye to Patriot's Square...

Quote:
Alas, Phoenix laser wasn't such a bright idea
Once-ballyhooed attraction being torn down

by Michael Clancy - Aug. 2, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Work to dismantle downtown Phoenix's laser begins today, with hardly a soul to lament its demise.

When the steel spider of a structure was built in 1986, it was billed as Phoenix's answer to the Eiffel Tower. It operated for less than a year before its lasers were turned off for good.

Now, the laser and Patriots Square, where it was situated, are being torn down to make room for CityScape, a huge, mixed-use project stretching from First Avenue to Second Street between Washington and Jefferson streets. Dismantling the structure will take three weeks.

"I am not shedding any tears over it," said Attorney General Terry Goddard, who was mayor at the time the laser was installed. "The concept was noble, but frankly, it never worked."

The laser was the brainchild of architect Ted Alexander, and it captured the imagination of at least some people at the beginning, in the mid-'80s.

Patriots Square was being rebuilt to include underground parking, and a contract for design of the park went to Alexander.

In an early story in The Phoenix Gazette, Alexander said the laser would give the city "a town square that is unequaled anywhere in the country."

The laser was just the centerpiece. The amphitheater underneath the laser structure promised night after night of entertainment, fountains were supposed to keep everyone cool, vendors would keep everyone fed, and twinkling lights would illuminate the trees.

"The laser display is in perfect keeping with Phoenix's standing as a center of high technology and its aspirations to become even more so," The Arizona Republic said in an editorial.

"It would have been only half a park without the lasers," County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox said at the time, when she was serving as vice mayor. "Now, it's really going to shine."

It all was planned to open by fall 1987, with donations of lasers from Phoenix Newspapers Inc. and money from Valley National Bank, which subsequently became Chase Bank.

But park costs escalated, and it took years to open, mainly because of leakage into the garage below.

The laser did not illuminate the night sky until December 1990.

The public was underwhelmed, and in short order, the mood changed.

Less than four months after its gala unveiling, the laser was targeted in a city budget cut. Operation and repair costs were higher than expected. Sometime in the summer of 1991, the laser had its last show, dying not with a bang but a whimper.

Alexander, in an interview in 2004, said the decision to shut down the lasers was "tragic."

But he added that if that was what the city wanted, "That's fine with me."

Wilcox said most people "thought the laser would be more dynamic."

"We didn't really get what we wanted," she added.

The park itself received a more proper sendoff in the form of loud protests against turning it over to the developers of the CityScape development. CityScape opponents, although agreeing the park was not all it could be, lost their argument that the city should redevelop the park, not give it away.

Now, the block and two others to the east are under construction. Besides office and hotel towers, the developers promise the project will incorporate open space, more than Patriots Square offered.

Wilcox said cities ought to try new things, even if they don't end up functioning as expected.

"I think it's sad the laser never worked out right," she said. "At least the area will remain a central gathering place."

Goddard is not convinced.

"I'm not sure turning it over to a private developer was the right thing to do," he said. "As far as the open space goes, I will be sorry to see it go."

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 7:04 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Does anyone have pictures of PSP w/ the laser on? I don't recall ever seeing it, I think they stopped using it long before I started paying attention to downtown.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 5:23 PM
BANNED

my brother took me to use the lazers when I was a little kid. I thought it was pretty cool then, but there were also less bums at the time.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 5:54 PM

Even then I bet you tried to shoot the homeless.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 7:36 PM
BANNED

I wouldn't shoot a homeless....

unless he was trying to kill me and I had no other route of escape.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest