HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
Yes. The Sandy Hill Arena occupies a key piece of land for uOttawa's proposed new facility. While the old single pad arena belongs to the City, the land beneath it is leased from the NCC. Lots of delicate and political negotiations for the university to get this land. It would not surprise me if the new uOttawa building contains a new ice pad to be shared with the City.
I wonder about that. Sandy Hill Arena is quite a nice arena. It’s not new, but it’s not a tear down like Brewer. The Minto pads are busy, but I wouldn’t have thought that the school needed another pad.

Any chance that Sandy Hill would stay, and the new facility would be in front of it, or integrated with it?

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I wonder about that. Sandy Hill Arena is quite a nice arena. It’s not new, but it’s not a tear down like Brewer. The Minto pads are busy, but I wouldn’t have thought that the school needed another pad.

Any chance that Sandy Hill would stay, and the new facility would be in front of it, or integrated with it?
I do not think so. As the university prez said, they are looking to build "substantive, big sporting" facilities. I doubt they could build such large facilities around the SH Arena. The arena is sort of in the center of the desired space.

I am not sure that the old arena is so great. I have heard that the ice plant is old and inefficient, that the insulation is below standard. In other words ,it is an expensive energy guzzler. It is single pad, Some years ago the City said any future rinks should be double or multi pad. It is a more efficient way to go.
Plus, the City does not own the land the arena and parking lot is on. The NCC does. They will be big players in deciding what happens.

The university makes money from the two ice pads in the Minto sports Complex--from rentals. The former Athletic Director made so much that he paid off the mortage on the building years earlier than scheduled. Plus he saved up 5 million dollars to put toward the start of building Gee-Gees Field. The Winter Dome at Gee-Gees Field, cost 1.5 million dollars and also makes a lot of money for the sport department from rentals. A third,or fourth ice pad could be a big money maker for them, particularly if SH arena disappears. The demand for ice time in Ottawa seems to be insatiable.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 2:41 AM

For the record here is what the current Campus Master Plan says about athletic facilities. Big dreams here and it does not mean they all will be realized,

Quote:
4.3.1 Athletic Facilities Strategy Sports, recreation and physical activity are a fundamental part of the uOttawa experience for students, faculty, staff and community members. However, with only 50% of the recreational space required to meet the Council of Ontario Universities standard, uOttawa’s existing athletic facilities are not sufficient to address current athletics needs. uOttawa has identified the following specific priorities to meet current and future demand for varsity sports and general recreation:

1 Additional training/exercise rooms
2 A triple gym for recreational purposes
3 A triple gym for events, including a minimum total stand capacity of 2,500 and a press box;
4 A new field house with a 200-metre track, an interior turf, and stand capacity of roughly 500;
5 Increase spectator capacity by 1,600 (total 5,000) for the sports field at the River Precinct; and
6 A new 50-metre swimming pool with a stand capacity of roughly 1,000.

River Precinct The existing sports field(Gee-Gees Field) in the River Precinct should be maintained over the long term, and additional support infrastructure for the field should be incorporated as the precinct evolves. The stand capacity of the field should increase to 5,000 from the current 3,400, representing an increase of 1,600 seats. Additional athletic facilities in the River Precinct should include, at minimum, a new triple gym and a new training room. Facilities such as stacked triple gyms, rowing facilities, or pools may also be considered in the River Precinct based on space needs and their impact on achieving the objectives and requirements set out by the City’s Transit-Oriented Development Plan for the Lees Station area.

University Centre The Master Plan proposes the demolition of the UCU and Montpetit to develop two new buildings with a substantial increase in gross floor area. These new buildings have the potential to accommodate training facilities and/or an additional gym. Prior to demolition and redevelopment, the existing gyms and swimming pool should be relocated.

Alta Vista Precinct---- Significant plans for renovations or additions to Roger Guindon or development of the Peter Morand lands should consider the opportunity for recreational facilities that meet the needs of the medical science students, faculty and staff in the area.

The University will continue to explore opportunities to share the use of its athletic facilities with the wider community. This will strengthen the relationship between uOttawa and the surrounding communities and help to finance the University’s athletics programming. The University should also continue to explore opportunities for land acquisition or strategic partnerships to develop large-scale recreational facilities such as new sports fields.
The principal athletics and recreational facilities should be located in primary community hubs, with complementary facilities (e.g. training rooms) in secondary community hubs.

Mann Precinct* This area presents the greatest opportunity for the creation of an athletics-focused community hub due to its centralized location and land availability. The University should augment the Minto Sports Complex by adding gyms and additional elite sports facilities on the south side of Mann Avenue, integrating them with housing and community hub uses. This area can accommodate an Olympic-sized swimming pool (replacing the pool at Montpetit), a triple gym with stand capacity, and a field house. This area has the potential to transform into a primary community hub bustling with athletes, students from nearby science and engineering buildings, and residents. The development of such facilities will require negotiations and partnerships with the City and NCC.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I do not think so. As the university prez said, they are looking to build "substantive, big sporting" facilities. I doubt they could build such large facilities around the SH Arena. The arena is sort of in the center of the desired space.

I am not sure that the old arena is so great. I have heard that the ice plant is old and inefficient, that the insulation is below standard. In other words ,it is an expensive energy guzzler. It is single pad, Some years ago the City said any future rinks should be double or multi pad. It is a more efficient way to go.
Plus, the City does not own the land the arena and parking lot is on. The NCC does. They will be big players in deciding what happens.

The university makes money from the two ice pads in the Minto sports Complex--from rentals. The former Athletic Director made so much that he paid off the mortage on the building years earlier than scheduled. Plus he saved up 5 million dollars to put toward the start of building Gee-Gees Field. The Winter Dome at Gee-Gees Field, cost 1.5 million dollars and also makes a lot of money for the sport department from rentals. A third,or fourth ice pad could be a big money maker for them, particularly if SH arena disappears. The demand for ice time in Ottawa seems to be insatiable.
Thanks for the extra detail. I have no doubt that you are right in terms of the efficiency of the arena as compared with new arenas. I just wasn’t sure that those deficiencies would normally warrant total replacement. By suburban standards Sandy Hill is somewhat outdated, but it’s the nicest city arena that we have in the core, with the possible exception of Tom Brown (also regularly mentioned for possible redevelopment.)

There is something to be said for the old single arenas functioning as local community hubs. The multiplexes just aren’t quite as personal. Then again, there is a strong hope that Brewer gets redone as a twin pad. If the OttawaU was to do the same thing in partnership with the city, they would probably cover the requirements for most of central Ottawa.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the extra detail. I have no doubt that you are right in terms of the efficiency of the arena as compared with new arenas. I just wasn’t sure that those deficiencies would normally warrant total replacement. By suburban standards Sandy Hill is somewhat outdated, but it’s the nicest city arena that we have in the core, with the possible exception of Tom Brown (also regularly mentioned for possible redevelopment.)

There is something to be said for the old single arenas functioning as local community hubs. The multiplexes just aren’t quite as personal. Then again, there is a strong hope that Brewer gets redone as a twin pad. If the OttawaU was to do the same thing in partnership with the city, they would probably cover the requirements for most of central Ottawa.
I think that the university building a triple gym with a 2500 seat spectator capacity and good media facilities; plus a Olympic size swimming pool with a 1000 seat capacity will be priorities in the new development. That could be one building.

Then the university would have to make a choice in conjunction with their partners who own the land and SH arena. They and the City could combine resources to build a new ice pad(s) which would be used by both. However, the Master Plan does not call for this. It does call for a Field House that is a track and field training facility and could also be used by the City. I doubt that they could do all three--a gym-pool building, rinks, and a field house in the available space.

Finally there is the Master Plan recommendation that it all be combined with housing. They might decide to build residential units on top of the athletic facilities, and they could produce revenue for the athletics part. The City should be in favour of this as it would be compatible with TOD near the Lees Station.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 3:58 PM

Too bad they couldn't purchase the entire Lees/Chapel/Mann block. That could be large enough to build all the facilities on that list. Alternatively, they could possibly start purchasing the homes behind the Minto Sports Complex and eventually Viscount Alexandre Public School if it is ever vacated.

I know that it's much more complicated than it seems on paper. Especially when it comes to purchasing individual houses and condos for redevelopment of the land.

Last edited by J.OT13; May 6, 2019 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
I think that the university building a triple gym with a 2500 seat spectator capacity and good media facilities; plus a Olympic size swimming pool with a 1000 seat capacity will be priorities in the new development. That could be one building.

Then the university would have to make a choice in conjunction with their partners who own the land and SH arena. They and the City could combine resources to build a new ice pad(s) which would be used by both. However, the Master Plan does not call for this. It does call for a Field House that is a track and field training facility and could also be used by the City. I doubt that they could do all three--a gym-pool building, rinks, and a field house in the available space.

Finally there is the Master Plan recommendation that it all be combined with housing. They might decide to build residential units on top of the athletic facilities, and they could produce revenue for the athletics part. The City should be in favour of this as it would be compatible with TOD near the Lees Station.
From the university's perspective, I can see how all three of those - the gym, pool and fieldhouse - would be higher priorities than another arena. And the residential would be a no-brainer, as that area is ripe for more development near the station (assuming that they get a proper pedestrian connection built, which should also be a university priority).

The City could certainly consolidate the rink with others in a multi-pad development elsewhere. However that arena serves the Ottawa East community, and I can't see another location that would do that very well.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
From the university's perspective, I can see how all three of those - the gym, pool and fieldhouse - would be higher priorities than another arena. And the residential would be a no-brainer, as that area is ripe for more development near the station (assuming that they get a proper pedestrian connection built, which should also be a university priority).

The City could certainly consolidate the rink with others in a multi-pad development elsewhere. However that arena serves the Ottawa East community, and I can't see another location that would do that very well.
I might suggest that the City look at the possibility of a new arena on Robinson Field. They already own this grass (and barely maintained) sports field. It does not seem to get a lot of use, and in fact, very few people know that it exists. It is about a five minute walk from SH arena.

Another possibility is the storage facility the City owns directly across the highway from Gee-Gees Field. I believe that the City has earmarked this land for redevelopment and now that LRT is almost here, it is probably time to move ahead on it.

I agree that any of the possibilities we are talking about would be better if a more direct pedestrian route to Lees Station was established.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 5:34 PM
ハルウララ

Exciting possibility to hear about. SH Arena is likely past its prime and its feasibility as a single pad ice arena lessens with each passing year. With two pads across the street at Minto i'm not sure how much use there is for it going forward and it's likely that the stacked gymnasiums and fieldhouse would be a welcome addition to uOttawa and the neighbourhood as whole. There's a lot of land around Lees/Mann eligible to be developed so there is potential for something really great.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 5:35 PM

Quote:
I agree that any of the possibilities we are talking about would be better if a more direct pedestrian route to Lees Station was established.
Some major reconfiguration is needed in that area.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 6:06 PM

J.OT13 wrote

Quote:
Alternatively, they could possibly start purchasing the homes behind the Minto Sports Complex and eventually Viscount Alexandre Public School if it is ever vacated.
I assume you mean the strip of small houses on Templeton bordering the Minto Complex. As of five years ago the university had bought all but two of them. Two holdouts refused to sell to them. I do not know if since then the university has convinced them to sell. The lots are small so that strip of land is pretty narrow. The university currently rents out the ones they own.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Exciting possibility to hear about. SH Arena is likely past its prime and its feasibility as a single pad ice arena lessens with each passing year. With two pads across the street at Minto i'm not sure how much use there is for it going forward
Sandy Hill is busy. It's actually one of the arenas that keeps ice in year round, which implies that the ice plant and insulation is at least better than some of the older arenas in the core.

It's the home rink for Ottawa East Minor Hockey and several of the competitive programs also play out of there. It will need to be replaced, and something in the area like Robinson Field or the works yard would be ideal in terms of location.

Though you would hate to see another downtown playing field disappear, so I'd rather one of the other options.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
J.OT13 wrote

I assume you mean the strip of small houses on Templeton bordering the Minto Complex. As of five years ago the university had bought all but two of them. Two holdouts refused to sell to them. I do not know if since then the university has convinced them to sell. The lots are small so that strip of land is pretty narrow. The university currently rents out the ones they own.
Was the original idea not to use those lots to put in seating for the Minto field?

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Was the original idea not to use those lots to put in seating for the Minto field?
Very briefly considered.

Several years ago the City and uOttawa had developed a plan to build an outdoor stadium seating about 5000 at Mann avenue. (The NCC must have been in on it). There were a couple of tentative designs on the internet that I have not been able to find since. Action Sandy Hill vehemently opposed any kind of outdoor stadium.
Still , the City announced a date for the summer of 2010 where they would reveal the plans at a public meeting held at the Sandy Hill Community Center.
In June of 2010 the executive of ASH met with then uOttawa President Alan Rock in his office. I do not know what happened at that meeting, but it must have been pretty heavy , because the university dropped the issue altogether and the public meeting was cancelled.

They immediately considered a stadium at the Minto Field. They quickly decided there were too many drawbacks to proceed. About that time uOttawa acquired the Old Algonquin site in Ottawa East (and away from ASH's precinct). Attention turned to there and it was also revealed that the former AD had put away five million dollars in a slush fund to put towards a stadium and that he favoured Lees. I know it is true because I was acquainted with him and he confirmed it to me a couple of times that I talked to him. Now we have Gee-Gees Field and the Dome.

I thought that the university was considering a Student Wellness Center on the strip of land on Templeton that we are talking about. However, the Master Plan does not mention anything about that piece of land.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Very briefly considered.

Several years ago the City and uOttawa had developed a plan to build an outdoor stadium seating about 5000 at Mann avenue. (The NCC must have been in on it). There were a couple of tentative designs on the internet that I have not been able to find since. Action Sandy Hill vehemently opposed any kind of outdoor stadium.
Still , the City announced a date for the summer of 2010 where they would reveal the plans at a public meeting held at the Sandy Hill Community Center.
In June of 2010 the executive of ASH met with then uOttawa President Alan Rock in his office. I do not know what happened at that meeting, but it must have been pretty heavy , because the university dropped the issue altogether and the public meeting was cancelled.

They immediately considered a stadium at the Minto Field. They quickly decided there were too many drawbacks to proceed. About that time uOttawa acquired the Old Algonquin site in Ottawa East (and away from ASH's precinct). Attention turned to there and it was also revealed that the former AD had put away five million dollars in a slush fund to put towards a stadium and that he favoured Lees. I know it is true because I was acquainted with him and he confirmed it to me a couple of times that I talked to him. Now we have Gee-Gees Field and the Dome.

I thought that the university was considering a Student Wellness Center on the strip of land on Templeton that we are talking about. However, the Master Plan does not mention anything about that piece of land.
That makes sense. I guess they would be setting them up for a flood of complaints if they build a big stadium at Minto. Not so sure about Mann, though. Not too many neighbours close by down there.

Are they still talking about adding stands on the highway side of the Lees field? It would be nice if they could get that up to 5-6000. Or is the plan just to use Lansdowne for any big games?

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
J.OT13 wrote

I was referring to those, but also houses along Russell. I agree there isn't much they could do along Templeton other than more seating for Matt Anthony Field or row housing for student residence, unless of course they decide to redevelop the field as well, though it doesn't seem to be in the plans.

EDIT: Just realized there was a whole conversation about the Templeton strip before I posted this comment.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
That makes sense. I guess they would be setting them up for a flood of complaints if they build a big stadium at Minto. Not so sure about Mann, though. Not too many neighbours close by down there.

Are they still talking about adding stands on the highway side of the Lees field? It would be nice if they could get that up to 5-6000. Or is the plan just to use Lansdowne for any big games?
Yes and Yes, They still hope to put 1,600 seats on the highway side bringing total seating to 5000. They also would need to put up a sound deafening wall along the highway. Some visitors have complained that the highway creates too much noise on the field. Oddly the Ontario dept, that looks after highways put one up on the opposite side of the highway but has refused to pay for one on the university side---even though the university is a public institution beholding to the Province.

But the Panda game is at TD Place and if any other game happens(like a Yates Cup Final) where the attendance could be well beyond what Gee-Gees Field can handle , the university would look to see if TD Place is available.

The university has been trying to sell naming rights to the stadium for years now. Most of the proceeds, if not all, would probably go toward upgrades to the stadium. They have being trying so long without results that I think you can classify their efforts as a Big Fail.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Yes and Yes, They still hope to put 1,600 seats on the highway side bringing total seating to 5000. They also would need to put up a sound deafening wall along the highway. Some visitors have complained that the highway creates too much noise on the field. Oddly the Ontario dept, that looks after highways put one up on the opposite side of the highway but has refused to pay for one on the university side---even though the university is a public institution beholding to the Province.

But the Panda game is at TD Place and if any other game happens(like a Yates Cup Final) where the attendance could be well beyond what Gee-Gees Field can handle , the university would look to see if TD Place is available.

The university has been trying to sell naming rights to the stadium for years now. Most of the proceeds, if not all, would probably go toward upgrades to the stadium. They have being trying so long without results that I think you can classify their efforts as a Big Fail.
Is the sound barrier a prerequisite for the extra seats? (Sorry for all the questions.). It would seem that the seats themselves could dampen the noise to some extent if done right. It also seems that the exhaust fumes would be a bigger complaint than the noise.

That does seem to be a fail on naming rights. I’d other schools can manage it without such a prime highwayside location, it seems odd that they can’t get a deal.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Is the sound barrier a prerequisite for the extra seats? (Sorry for all the questions.). It would seem that the seats themselves could dampen the noise to some extent if done right. It also seems that the exhaust fumes would be a bigger complaint than the noise.

That does seem to be a fail on naming rights. I’d other schools can manage it without such a prime highwayside location, it seems odd that they can’t get a deal.
I have never heard complaints about exhaust fumes, just noise.

I have been told that the highwayside location was part of the pitch. If it was Corporate Stadium tens of thousands of travellers per week would see the name like a big billboard. It has been suggested that signage in the Lees Station could be bought announcing that this was the stop for Corporate Stadium. Tens of thousands more Ottawans would see the Corporate advertising.

Why no success--asking for to much?--to many conditions?--poor salesmanship? I do see that uOttawa's Development Office is advertising for a Manager responsible getting corporate donations. Anyone up for the job?

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; May 9, 2019 at 12:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 8:27 PM

uOttawa has a new set of goals and guidelines called Transformation 2030. There is also a five year Action Plan to take us to 2025. These will be revealed during Homecoming in early October. Soon after that a web site dedicated to these plans will go online for all to see. The CMP will probably be tweaked.

Brooks Residence is likely to be torn down soon after the #95 bus is taken off of King Edward. The street will be disrupted for a while with heavy trucks loading and carrying debris. They did not want to disrupt the 95 line, but soon that will not be an issue.
The parking garage below Brooks will remain.It is expected that the area will be grassed over creating a temporary green space until the uni gets around to building something permanent there. That could be some time. The university hopes to demolish both Stanton and Marchand residences in 2021.

Planning for a new athletic facility on Mann Av. continues.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues