HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 7:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Route 11 upgrades between Cocagne River and Little Bouctouche River and between Glenwood and Miramichi are being postponed by the new provincial government.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ture-1.4941010
I wonder if that means they'll stop the divided highway south or north of the Cocagne River (I presume south so they won't have to build a new bridge and interchanges).

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I wonder if that means they'll stop the divided highway south or north of the Cocagne River (I presume south so they won't have to build a new bridge and interchanges).
the Cocagne river is a fairly large crossing. It would save a large amount of cash to stop south of the river. My Question. What happens to the money the feds promised them to complete this road. Also, if memory serves me correct, there is a fair bit of road work started on the 2nd set of lanes north of Cocagne, Is that piece of roadwork going to just sit there and decay? The local MP WILL NOT be happy.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 8:51 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I saw on the map too: the forest has been cleared up to Bouctouche River. I guess the 180M from the feds will be enough to finish twinning 11 just up to there?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 8:53 PM

Yeah if you look at Google Sat view, you can see the clearing for the twinning all the way up to Bouctouche.

Maybe they could justify finishing the roads up to the rivers and just merge the highways at the crossings for now or something like that.

More likely they'll just leave it fallow until a government decides to do it again.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 8:55 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I thought the new government said it was gonna honour the current contract.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I thought the new government said it was gonna honour the current contract.
IF I recall, in the campaign, Higgs said he would honour the existing commitment that was in place, but would not twin the highway any further north as the expense was not justified given AADT counts north of Bouctouche. NB people correct if I am wrong.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
IF I recall, in the campaign, Higgs said he would honour the existing commitment that was in place, but would not twin the highway any further north as the expense was not justified given AADT counts north of Bouctouche. NB people correct if I am wrong.
I’m fairly certain I remember reading this as well.

Also, no word from the new government on the Miramichi tunnel?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 12:38 AM

Can anybody give a debrief on the article in the T & T on cancellation Of highway 11 twinning? It seems as though there may be a complete delay or even full cancellation of the current twinning work that has been completed. Any opinions on this?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
Can anybody give a debrief on the article in the T & T on cancellation Of highway 11 twinning? It seems as though there may be a complete delay or even full cancellation of the current twinning work that has been completed. Any opinions on this?
From what I've been told it's a full cancellation of the project. It's sad to see, and I do hope someone see's that it's needed, and reboots the project. I think there was something about the cost of bridging over rivers as one reason. Not 100% on that one though.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 2:10 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
From what I've been told it's a full cancellation of the project. It's sad to see, and I do hope someone see's that it's needed, and reboots the project. I think there was something about the cost of bridging over rivers as one reason. Not 100% on that one though.
No new bridges, that's for sure, but I think they're going to complete the highway to the south bank of the Cocagne River. That's probably about 8-10 km of twinning. They're already working on the overpasses in that section, and aside from this there's only road bed construction and paving to do, so it would make sense to complete this portion at least (but then again, they're cancelling the Centennial Building project in Freddy cold turkey, so you never know).

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 9:42 AM

Quote:
No new bridges, that's for sure, but I think they're going to complete the highway to the south bank of the Cocagne River. That's probably about 8-10 km of twinning. They're already working on the overpasses in that section, and aside from this there's only road bed construction and paving to do, so it would make sense to complete this portion at least (but then again, they're cancelling the Centennial Building project in Freddy cold turkey, so you never know).
Did They start the bridge for the second lane over the Shediac river? It does not make sense to go to the Cocagne river unless they build the bridge near Chez Leos. I also assume they have a contract with the Feds for this project. I do not recall a project ever being altered the way this contract appears to be after a fed/prov funding agreement was reached.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 12:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
Did They start the bridge for the second lane over the Shediac river? It does not make sense to go to the Cocagne river unless they build the bridge near Chez Leos. I also assume they have a contract with the Feds for this project. I do not recall a project ever being altered the way this contract appears to be after a fed/prov funding agreement was reached.
Good point about the Shediac River Bridge. I had forgotten about it.

All I know is that the government press release said something about deferring all work north of the Cocagne River. They are also actively working on the Shediac River Road overpass just north of the Shediac River itself. I therefore presume they will be twinning the Highway 11 bridge over the Shediac River, but I don't have information to absolutely confirm this.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:

The reason I brought that up is because they brought earth, and Gravel in to make both sides of the river at equal heights to build a straight bridge over Shediac River, and the basic road work seemed to have been done on either side of the river as well. But no bridge.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 11:05 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

See whether pressuring the government will help if it’s really cancelling the entire project. I don’t see any other way at this point.

Still, what about that $180M from the feds?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
See whether pressuring the government will help if it’s really cancelling the entire project. I don’t see any other way at this point.

Still, what about that $180M from the feds?
Dengler: the NB department of Transport published an announcement on the provinces capital budget this week on their website.

I have copied the important info below:

The department will continue or complete work on several projects, including;

Twinning Route 11 between Shediac River and Cocagne River
Centennial Bridge in Miramichi
Petitcodiac River Bridge
Fundy Trail Connector
Coles Island bridges
Little Bouctouche River No. 1 Bridge
Florenceville Bridge
Anderson Bridge
The following projects are being re-evaluated and funding to complete them has not been allocated:

Centennial Building and Justice complex
New Brunswick Museum
Memramcook Institute renovations
Perth-Andover roadway connections reconstruction
Route 11 between Glenwood and Miramichi
Route 11 between Cocagne River and Little Bouctouche River
Oliver said, while the government understands these are difficult decisions, the focus must be on maintaining the province’s current infrastructure.around this time of year.
If I see anymore information from this site I will post it here.

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Dec 16, 2018 at 12:03 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 11:33 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Thanks a lot. Huh I thought the project about Centennial Bridge in Miramichi was dead.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Huh I thought the project about Centennial Bridge in Miramichi was dead.
I think some projects are necessary or beyond the point of being able to stop. They may have been too far along in the Centennial bridge project to stop.. I know they are laying the beams for the Petitcodiac river bridge on the Riverview side in the Metro Moncton area . Given how far this project is along it was likely not practical to stop. Parts of highway 11 must have been easier to postpone than these 2 bridge projects.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:00 PM

Is the Florenceville Bridge mentioned there the old TCH bridge right next to the McCain plant?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 3:40 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/mobile/f...cuts-1.4215276

Looks like even federal funding can’t get it moving

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 10:14 PM

I cant for the life of me understand why people in this province think that highway 11 needs to be a fully divided interstate level highway. It’s ludicrous. We are flat broke. Highways generate zero dollars because we refuse to toll them. Does the road need some work?? Absolutely! A few long passing lanes here and there. Even add a lane in both directions between bouctouche and Cocagne. But fully dividing the highway is nonsense. Good on higgs for cancelling this project.

There are many examples in North America where communities much larger then the 2 I mentioned are connected by secondary highways similar to rte 11. And many of them are 2 lanes each direction and not controlled access highways. Ive been on many of them and they work just fine!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces