HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:28 PM

There is no way to build anything but luxury. Nothing pencils out. They got rid of 421-A. So it's luxury or heavily subsidized, nothing else.

Ironically, it was allegedly pro-housing liberals who got rid of 421-A. The narrative was that it was a giveaway to evil developers, who apparently prefer remaining solvent and building with a reasonable potential for profit. So now nothing is built.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There is no way to build anything but luxury. Nothing pencils out. They got rid of 421-A. So it's luxury or heavily subsidized, nothing else.
Exactly. 100% correct.

Even in much cheaper markets than NYC, it's quite hard to justify building anything non-luxury. I'm looking at building a 10-story tower (~150 units) in my hometown's downtown, and the math doesn't work out unless I can tap into that new $15 billion that was just announced by the Feds to help developers build stuff.

The worst part is that unlike NYC, where luxury will always find buyers, in my hometown, non-luxury doesn't have a good business case (like everywhere else, construction costs being crazy high), but luxury ALSO isn't that safe a bet, because I can't be sure there'll be enough interested wealthy people.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 4:15 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Exactly. 100% correct.

Even in much cheaper markets than NYC, it's quite hard to justify building anything non-luxury. I'm looking at building a 10-story tower (~150 units) in my hometown's downtown, and the math doesn't work out unless I can tap into that new $15 billion that was just announced by the Feds to help developers build stuff.

The worst part is that unlike NYC, where luxury will always find buyers, in my hometown, non-luxury doesn't have a good business case (like everywhere else, construction costs being crazy high), but luxury ALSO isn't that safe a bet, because I can't be sure there'll be enough interested wealthy people.
so you were planning on building a 10 story apt tower on spec?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions