HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
I heard from a reliable industry source that Ryan dropped the Tower 5C project and another developer stepped in. The project is still alive but may get redesigned. The source also said that Ryan is moving forward with BBVA Tower which has a large residential component. Residential is obviously drawing the investment money because of Austin's white hot housing market. COVID and in-migration have created even more demand for single family housing, but developers can't build them fast enough and there's just not enough land within the city. That makes residential towers very popular projects with developers.
Nice to hear about BBVA/PNC moving forward. Hopefully they don't scrap the office component and shorten it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
Nice to hear about BBVA/PNC moving forward. Hopefully they don't scrap the office component and shorten it.
The office component is only six floors, and the bank was taking some if not all of it. So I don't think there will be any change in design.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:57 AM

Next towers to break ground in DT proper are:

1. Symphony Square
2. Hanover on Brazos
3. 84 East (Hanover's kissing cousin)
4. River Street Residences.

What else am I missing? And could we see 98 Red River actually start work soon? They seem to be making steady progress . . .

Also: I'm sure there're a scad of West Campus buildings I've completely glossed over, too.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:26 AM

Based on permitting I would say the top three are:

1. Hanover on Brazos
2. Symphony Square
3. The Linden

The Travis (formerly Travis #1) could be a dark horse contender because the finish out permits were recently filed.

After that I would say 84 East, 90 Rainey or Riverside Residences. They seem to be good, but are not yet approved.

The 14th & Guadalupe project and the 4th & Brazos 800 footer still appear dead by Covid to me.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 4:51 PM

I'll bet that 4th and Brazos project gets revamped -- maybe even gets the 5C value treatment but keeps at least most of its height. If we've seen anything during the pandemic its the willingness of developers to go tall here.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:27 PM

bump bump.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
bump bump.
So Symphony Square and Hanover Brazos are both UC.
Travis #1 is active but not sure if that truly counts as UC. ATX, what's your criteria?
River Street, 84 East, and 90 Rainey are all scheduled to start within the year.

The Linden seems doable within the year, probably within the next 6 months.

Citizen M hotel near One America Center could start this year.

Things I wish would start:
BBVA
The Republic
5C

Even though I know we have lots of buildings in the construction pipeline, I feel like we've had a dry period as far as announcements for new buildings. Not sure what that signals. Maybe just a natural pause coming out of the pandemic if we're lucky. I do get the sense that multiple parcels are on hold at the moment -- I'm thinking about the Railyard, the second WeWork parcel across from the Fairmont, the one at 3rd and San Jacinto that might get folded into the Convention Center expansion. And of course the mother of them all, the Post Office block. Dunno. It's a weird time.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
So Symphony Square and Hanover Brazos are both UC.
Travis #1 is active but not sure if that truly counts as UC. ATX, what's your criteria?
River Street, 84 East, and 90 Rainey are all scheduled to start within the year.

The Linden seems doable within the year, probably within the next 6 months.

Citizen M hotel near One America Center could start this year.

Things I wish would start:
BBVA
The Republic
5C

Even though I know we have lots of buildings in the construction pipeline, I feel like we've had a dry period as far as announcements for new buildings. Not sure what that signals. Maybe just a natural pause coming out of the pandemic if we're lucky. I do get the sense that multiple parcels are on hold at the moment -- I'm thinking about the Railyard, the second WeWork parcel across from the Fairmont, the one at 3rd and San Jacinto that might get folded into the Convention Center expansion. And of course the mother of them all, the Post Office block. Dunno. It's a weird time.
"U/C" means cement has been poured. That could be for either for a column or a diaphragm wall. None of those would be U/C yet. But Hanover Brazos looked like it could be real soon based on the last site prep photo.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 11:02 PM
Meh

I'm really hoping The Republic happens in the form we saw. I've noticed that Block 185 is changing the dynamics of the skyline so that much of it between Block 185 and The Austonian is starting to look a little dull. Of course, I love the W Hotel & Residences, but we need another peak in that part of the skyline. If not, we'll have a weird valley there. And it's not like Block 185 is as tall as The Independent and The Austonian, but it's an attention grabbing building, and that middle part of the skyline is looking a little sleepy now.

If you're a member of the group, you can see this photo that really shows what I'm talking about.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AustinDrones/

Photo link.
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...83956864958153

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 5:32 AM

I totally agree with you Kevin but I would also add that the Indeed Tower should also be included in the "attention grabbing" building caliber.

I too am part of the group as of rn and hope to contribute when I'm FINALLY in ATX. My move to Austin is looking to be in August but I will be in town on Memorial Day Weekend for my friends bachelor party!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I think the last big announcement we had was the SOM tower right? I wonder when we'll see more info/renderings on that.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 5:23 PM

Bump. Since the last discussion, the likely candidates for the next 300'+ projects to get underway - The Linden, Hanover Brazos, Symphony Square, East Tower (with Demo at least) - actually did.

The next big ones are more difficult to predict IMO. The 332' St. Austin project in WC is a good candidate. But after that, it gets difficult to predict. The Travis has been a "starting soon" candidate way too long for me to stay hopeful. Riverside Residences still hasn't received site plan approval since the zoning change was approved. 9092 Rainey seems to be under going Rev. 3 which may delay it further. Another 300 foot WC project - Union on 24th - seems to be on track. To me it looks like the next couple of large projects to start will be in WC.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 8:19 PM

Would love to have another 1000 footer, at least just in case the current one goes sideways...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Would love to have another 1000 footer, at least just in case the current one goes sideways...
Do not speak such things into the universe.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 10:04 PM

What breaks ground next? Citizen M? The Travis?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 10:15 PM

Citizen M for sure. Their right of way closures around the site for construction start next week.
Out of the big projects, I think River Street Residences is more likely than the Travis. River Street is only a foot shorter than 44 East but ~ twice as wide when viewed by those coming into downtown from the south. It will have a huge presence considering how 44 East is standing out now.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 10:48 PM

The Republic is supposed to start in December 2021 right? What else do y'all think will start before the end of this year?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Citizen M for sure. Their right of way closures around the site for construction start next week.
Out of the big projects, I think River Street Residences is more likely than the Travis. River Street is only a foot shorter than 44 East but ~ twice as wide when viewed by those coming into downtown from the south. It will have a huge presence considering how 44 East is standing out now.
As soon as I hit enter I wondered about River Street.

I'm essentially building out the rest of my 2021 hit list, and I'd say River Street is on it. I think Travis and the Modern are good bets -- probably at least one of them breaks ground. And the Republic if we're lucky . . .but I'm almost positive that's going to flex into early 2022.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 1:20 PM

I'm kind of feeling we are overdue for a new round of proposals on sites that are not currently in play.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I'm kind of feeling we are overdue for a new round of proposals on sites that are not currently in play.
Yes indeed. Or movement on sites that have been sitting quiet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin