HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
^Stats like those make you hair stand up straight.

NYC empties out for the year and still records a population of 8.8 million and goes into a year where WFH is normal.

That's amazing!
9,000,000 by mid-decade.

I bet we would have been already there had it not been for COVID, Trump rhetoric effect on immigrant communities, and the elimination of the unlimited SALT tax deduction.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 12:39 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

I wonder if some of those Afghan folks will relocate in NYC. There's like 60,000 of them too that have to be evacuated or are on the list to come to America. I'd imagine aside from Virginia, some will relocate to the tri-state.

More the merrier in Queens, which has a nice Afghan community.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^

I wonder if some of those Afghan folks will relocate in NYC. There's like 60,000 of them too that have to be evacuated or are on the list to come to America. I'd imagine aside from Virginia, some will relocate to the tri-state.

More the merrier in Queens, which has a nice Afghan community.
Very interested in this actually. It's a travesty that they may have worked for the US Government as interpreters and now left behind while the country falls. Off topic but do you have a good link to the evacuation plans of Afghan Nationals? I didn't realize it was as high as 60,000!

I found one article about the Afghan nationals being evacuated. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...the-us-reports. 221 Afghans, including 57 children and 15 babies. Only 270 more flights to go. A big chunk will settle in the Northeast, especially NYC.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:36 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
We've ALWAYS known Brooklyn was the 4th biggest city...

Welcome back...

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:37 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

@C

It was via the media (on tv). Yeah its a lot of people. In a way I wouldn't mind if they came to NYC. Those immigrants add a lot to the communities. Up in the Bronx you have a healthy Yemen population. Always good when they set up shop, adding even more to the melting pot.

Yeah its the folks that helped and their families.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:05 AM

Some takeaways:

The Asian population in Queens just barely missed plurality status. Queens will probably soon have an Asian near-majority or even majority population.

The citywide Asian population will probably be larger than the citywide Black population by the next Census.

The Asian population on Staten Island nearly doubled. Given SI is the slowest growing borough with the smallest population, SI will likely become a very Asian borough, very fast.

The Black population, while declining like basically every other major U.S. city proper, is nonetheless declining far slower than in other cities. Places like Chicago, Detroit, DC, Atlanta, SF have a collapsing Black population; in NYC the Black decline is quite modest (perhaps because it's a heavily immigrant population).

There were major Black population gains in the Bronx concourse neighborhoods, which are heavily West African. It's clear that the West Bronx has a very West African future. There were also major Black gains in far eastern Brooklyn, around Canarsie. This is a heavily West Indian area now. Meanwhile the traditional Black neighborhoods, like Harlem, Central Brooklyn and SE Queens, have significant losses.

The White population is stable overall, but shows strong growth in traditionally Orthodox areas, indicating that the reports of Orthodox Jewish migration to cheaper suburbs is exaggerated. Also, Western Queens, Upper Manhattan, and Northern Brooklyn (all gentrifying areas) show major White gains. NE Queens shows the largest White losses.

The Hispanic population is basically stable, and few changes on the surface (but I bet it's becoming more Mexican, Central American and South American, and less Puerto Rican, Cuban and Dominican).

Last edited by Crawford; Aug 16, 2021 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

NYC empties out for the year and still records a population of 8.8 million and goes into a year where WFH is normal.

That's amazing!

The city was never emptied out.

This is really the key…

Quote:

Yes sir.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:25 AM
New Yorker for life

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/...e-million.html

Despite Everything, New York City Is Still a Very Popular Place to Live

By Benjamin Hart
August 12, 2021

Quote:
There are now almost 9 million stories in the Naked City.

New Census numbers released on Thursday show that NYC’s population rose from 8.18 million to 8.80 million over the last decade. That’s a gain of 8 percent — far more than many expected, and among the most of any major metropolis in America. This is, on balance, good news for a city that, until recently, was in a tedious faux debate with itself about whether the entire place was “over.” (Answer: no.)

Now that we’ve determined more people than ever want to live here, we can begin a different debate: Is it too many? Did the last few people in this Ample Hills line really have to relocate to Brooklyn? Food for thought.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Some takeaways:

The Asian population in Queens just barely missed plurality status. Queens will probably soon have an Asian near-majority or even majority population.

The citywide Asian population will probably be larger than the citywide Black population by the next Census.

The Asian population on Staten Island nearly doubled. Given SI is the slowest growing borough with the smallest population, SI will likely become a very Asian borough, very fast.

The Black population, while declining like basically every other major U.S. city proper, is nonetheless declining far slower than in other cities. Places like Chicago, Detroit, DC, Atlanta, SF have a collapsing Black population; in NYC the Black decline is quite modest (perhaps because it's a heavily immigrant population).

There were major Black population gains in the Bronx concourse neighborhoods, which are heavily West African. It's clear that the West Bronx has a very West African future. There were also major Black gains in far eastern Brooklyn, around Canarsie. This is a heavily West Indian area now. Meanwhile the traditional Black neighborhoods, like Harlem, Central Brooklyn and SE Queens, have significant losses.

The White population is stable overall, but shows strong growth in traditionally Orthodox areas, indicating that the reports of Orthodox Jewish migration to cheaper suburbs is exaggerated. Also, Western Queens, Upper Manhattan, and Northern Brooklyn (all gentrifying areas) show major White gains. NE Queens shows the largest White losses.

The Hispanic population is basically stable, and few changes on the surface (but I bet it's becoming more Mexican, Central American and South American, and less Puerto Rican, Cuban and Dominican).

Nice analysis - neighborhoods change.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Some takeaways:

I'm a little surprised that the Asian population wasn't already larger than the black population.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:01 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.welcome2thebronx.com/202...e-country/amp/

Bronx Population Reaches Record High; Would be 7th Largest City in the Country

Ed García Conde
August 14, 2021

Quote:
According to the latest data released on the 2020 Census, The Bronx continues to grow and has achieved a population record set in 1970 when 1,471,701 were recorded living in the borough.

Today, according to the 2020 Census, The Bronx has a record-high population of 1,472,654 who call our diverse borough home.

This represents a 6.3 percent increase from the 2010 Census when the population was 1,385,108 (an increase by 87,546 residents.

Back then, if The Bronx were a city of its own, it would have been the 9th largest city but with the population growth since 2010, the borough and birthplace of Hip Hop and Salsa would now be the 7th largest city in the United States after Philadelphia.
Quote:
The population growth over the past decade was seen across the entire borough but in terms of numbers, the Port Morris-Mott Haven area along with Morrisania, and Williamsbridge-Olinville each saw an increase of about 5,000.

In the Port Morris-Mott Haven area, this increase was helped by real estate developers turning their eyes on the area and the influx of hundreds of units of luxury housing with thousands currently under construction. During the same period, Morrisania saw a significant increase of affordable housing helping drive the increase in that area.

In terms of percent change, Morrisania was the fastest growing neighborhood in The Bronx with an increase of 22 percent, followed by Crotona Park East with an increase of 15 percent. Both of these neighborhoods have seen an explosion of new affordable housing developments in the past decade.

Long removed from the 70’s Bronx……

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/bronx-1970s

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:01 PM

Quote:

That's amazing!
NYC didn't empty out. Only a few parts of Manhattan.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
9,000,000 by mid-decade.

I bet we would have been already there had it not been for COVID, Trump rhetoric effect on immigrant communities, and the elimination of the unlimited SALT tax deduction.
Some of the census tracts in my area grew by over 100%. My census tract grew by less than 40%, but there is so much construction in progress now that it will probably see that type of growth again this decade.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'm curious what the population of Bayonne NJ will be in a few years. There are some massive projects in the works, we are talking "several" 1000 units.

Likewise with some major 5000+ unit projects in Jersey City and the surrounding areas.

Hudson County has really skyrocketed. I think folks are fixated on NYC but on the Jersey side, a ton is happening. I would like to see more in Essex County and along some of the commuter lines in Somerset/Middlesex (some stuff is occurring but not on the magnitude of Hudson County).

Newark is the place to keep an eye on. The amount of permits in the pipeline/active is increasing.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 4:22 PM

Very interesting to see the Asian breakdown for NYC. I suspect the Bangladeshi population has sky rocketed and has a shot at overtaking Korean's as being the 3rd largest group after Chinese and Indian. In fact, I bet a large proportion of the Bronx population increase was fueled by immigration from Bangladesh.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 4:26 PM

Yeah, there are two Bronx neighborhoods that have gotten really Bangladeshi in recent years.

First, the SE Bronx, around Parckhester/Soundview is really notably Bangladeshi. Any of those 6 train stations around the Parkchester development are very Bangladeshi. Then there's a second concentration, further north, around Bedford Park/Norwood, around the last few stations of the D train, near the upper reaches of the Grand Concourse.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm curious what the population of Bayonne NJ will be in a few years. There are some massive projects in the works, we are talking "several" 1000 units.

Likewise with some major 5000+ unit projects in Jersey City and the surrounding areas.

Hudson County has really skyrocketed. I think folks are fixated on NYC but on the Jersey side, a ton is happening. I would like to see more in Essex County and along some of the commuter lines in Somerset/Middlesex (some stuff is occurring but not on the magnitude of Hudson County).

Newark is the place to keep an eye on. The amount of permits in the pipeline/active is increasing.
Union, Hudson, and Essex counties will go gangbusters as an affordable option close to NYC. Any trans-Hudson transit improvements will only aid in growth.

I would ass Begern County to the list, but too many NIMBYs for any real growth.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 4:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Again people, we're not talking politics here. Stay away from it.

Staten Island will be over the half million mark before long...

https://www.silive.com/news/2021/08/...20data%20shows.

Staten Island’s population shows strong growth in 2020 census; how close to 500,000 did we get?

Aug 12, 2021

Quote:
The borough’s population grew by 5.7% over the last decade, according to data released by the U.S. Census Bureau following the 2020 Census count.

The population data -- in addition to troves of ethnic, racial, and age data -- comes from compiling forms filled out last year by tens of millions of Americans. The numbers reflect countless decisions made over the past 10 years by individuals to have children, move to another part of the country, or to come to the U.S. from elsewhere.

Staten Island had the highest self-response rate in New York City at 46.8%; New York state’s response rate to the 2020 Census was 61.9%.

The borough’s population as of 2020 is 495,747 people compared to 468,730 residents in 2010, a population increase of 29,864 people, the data shows.

Staten Island’s population increase was slightly less than that of the state of New York, which saw an increase of 6.9% or 1,034,962 people, for a total of 20,201,249 residents.

The borough is mostly comprised of adults aged 18 and older – it ranks 51 out of 62 counties for percent of residents aged 18 and older, with 78.5% of the borough falling into that category.

The adult population on Staten Island also saw a strong increase of 8.3% compared to 2010 -- from 359,529 to 389,393 people -- accounting for all of the borough’s growth.

https://www.tomrichmond.com/king-of-...er/25/08/2020/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 5:27 PM

I have noticed a massive increase in the number of Muslim residents in my part of Astoria. We’d gladly welcome Afghan refugees.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:

May have to change that sign soon. Brooklyn is just 10,315 people away from being third largest. If trends continue might happen next year; amazing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions