HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 2:03 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Hopefully it will help reinvigorate the high-end retail department stores in New York City.
Barney's New York is a "fun" place to shop, but I am very excited for Nordstrom!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Barney's New York is a "fun" place to shop, but I am very excited for Nordstrom!
Well I know in Detroit we used to have Hudson's Department Store. That was bought by Marshall Fields from Chicago in 2001, which in turn was sold to Macy's in 2006. (Neither Hudson's nor Marshall Fields exist anymore.) Another major Detroit department store Crowley's closed in 1999. And of course JCpenney has been on the ropes for years now, which is in multiple major malls right now. It's a disaster for shoppers and malls alike. Newer department stores need to hit some homeruns here, Walmart and Amazon shouldn't be allowed to take 100% of the clothing market.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
NO, they just haven't filed any new plans, which may not be complete. The building isn't even in ground yet, there will be years of new filings.

Maybe Barnett just wants to surprise you with 150 floors of Nordstrom shopping.
lol

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 5:10 PM

YIMBY throwing out a tease...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314
Everyone here will be thrilled! Cannot give specifics yet but hopefully shortly.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 10:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Bergdorf Goodman
Is that like Marshalls or Century 21? (which is where I do most of shopping as well it addition to Conway)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 11:21 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Is that like Marshalls or Century 21? (which is where I do most of shopping as well it addition to Conway)
Here 'ya go: Bergdorf Goodman.

I expect the Nordstrom Dept. Store in the Tower to be just as awesome, considering the neighborhood they are in (and trust me, they ARE in a wealthy neighborhood)!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 1:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I have to say, although this tower is going to be grand, I'm kind of excited for the new Nordstorm department store too.
This tower will probably be known to most as the home of the Nordstrom.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 1:41 PM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 1:59 PM
BANNED

Excellent update, ILNY. How deep do these rock tendons typically go?

Also, at this stage of construction, Vornado should negotiate a tunnel to Nordstrom to use as another selling point for 220 CPS. Of course, Extell would probably tell them to pound sand.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 4:24 PM

That got my attention! Not that we can draw much from it considering how developers market their buildings based on dubious floor counts, but still curious how close to the truth that is.

Moving In, Slowly, to ‘Billionaires’ Row
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/29/re...ents.html?_r=0
Quote:
I do have a few, particularly those who purchased in the $50 million range, that are such fans of the developer they are considering his next building,” said Ms. Field, referring to 225 West 57th Street, a condominium with at least 100 stories that will feature New York City’s first full-line Nordstrom department store. That building is not set to open until 2018, “so they are going to love this building and enjoy it,” she said, “but when there is a newer, shinier, prettier gal, they may decide to cash out and go for the next one.”

Last edited by Blaze23; Jun 27, 2014 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 6:11 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Don't read too much into it. This is not going to be 100 floors. It's just the developer cheating, same with TWT and One57. 432 PA has 85 (88) real floors, but is being marketed as an 96-story tower.

Last edited by hunser; Jun 27, 2014 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 10:00 PM

When I see the foundations of the Art Student's League building exposed to such a depth, it reminds me of that building that started to tip over because of excavation next door. Anyone remember which building that was? I have photos of it in Picasa, somewhere.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 10:39 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Hopefully we wont run into any obstacles.

Video Link

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 12:43 AM
DENNAB

Sure... 100 "stories"

AKA 80 something stories with a bunch of floors missing

Not saying this building won't be impressive though

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 3:36 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

The water tunnels are far deeper than this foundation will be

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 5:14 AM

How do they remove the excavators when it becomes too steep to drive out? I'm curious how they remove the final 1/4 of the pit.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 7:50 AM

They don't.

Anyone who has read Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel knows, that's how these big buildings get their heat

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 1:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
It's just the developer cheating, same with TWT and One57. 432 PA has 85 (88) real floors, but is being marketed as an 96-story tower.
It's not really cheating. These towers with extra high ceiling heights are marketed that way because they are basically comparable to other or typical apartment buildings, and indeed some office buildings. (If the original WTC had 110 stories at less than 1,400 ft, why not have a building that rises higher have 100 or more).

It's also a game played in today's office market, where the typical tower in New York now has higher ceilings compared to towers of yesterday. The GE Building, were it built today, would be much taller with it's 70 stories, which is more than some of the new taller towers being built in Manhattan. (3 WTC, 1 Vanderbilt, etc.)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 7:12 PM
DENNAB

Yea floor count is pretty meaningless these days, but non skyscraper nerds still think floors equal the height of a building so it's better to market it at 100 or so.

I still say this building will be between 1420-1440 feet if we're lucky

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Yea floor count is pretty meaningless these days, but non skyscraper nerds still think floors equal the height of a building so it's better to market it at 100 or so.

I still say this building will be between 1420-1440 feet if we're lucky
I say you're crazy. At least 1550 ft., based on NY YIMBY's assurances that we will all be thrilled. And a great design.

NY YIMBY has been a solid source of info, with pretty much a perfect track record.

In YIMBY we trust.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive