HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 5:01 PM

The City and region have typically spent less than 2% of the transportation budget on bike infrastructure. That small investment has resulted in a tripling of bike riders over the past 10 years. Imagine the positive change we'd see if the City and region devoted 10% of transportation funds toward bike projects... I'm guessing we'd see more than 10% of all trips being made by bike - which would be a huge benefit for everyone. A bike is relatively inexpensive, so the barrier to mobility would be small and the operating costs of using a bike are also minimal - less of a financial drain on households and healthier for everyone.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
The City and region have typically spent less than 2% of the transportation budget on bike infrastructure. That small investment has resulted in a tripling of bike riders over the past 10 years. Imagine the positive change we'd see if the City and region devoted 10% of transportation funds toward bike projects... I'm guessing we'd see more than 10% of all trips being made by bike - which would be a huge benefit for everyone. A bike is relatively inexpensive, so the barrier to mobility would be small and the operating costs of using a bike are also minimal - less of a financial drain on households and healthier for everyone.
That's what I'm saying... that's isn't a hippy drum circle pontification, this is return on investment, plain and simple.

Why can't anyone at the city or Metro see this?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 9:23 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Well, a couple of silver linings:
  • We have the existing Springwater Trail Corridor, which is essentially a bike freeway connecting downtown to SE Division, Sellwood, Johnson Creek, and outer SE.
  • NP Greenway group has been diligently working on their proposal for a path to North Portland via Swan Island.
  • There is a proposal for an I-84 bike path, which would link up with the existing I-205 bikeway. They're calling it the "Sullivan's Gulch" Train, more info here: http://www.sullivansgulchtrail.org/
  • Oh, and apparently they're working on a new bike path between Milwaukie and Oregon City. Didn't know that. http://www.oregonmetro.gov/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=1925
  • Metro and Portland Parks are usually the ones that study, develop, or maintain the off-street paths, which they call "MUPS."

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 4:04 AM

^ The "Trolley Trail" between Milwaukie and Gladstone follows the old interurban ROW that 'mostly' still exists. Part of the old ROW will be used for the Milwaukie MAX line alongside McLoughlin before the ROW veers off of the boulevard. Trimet will build the first segment of the Trolley Trail from Milwaukie to the proposed Park Street Park & Ride next to the proposed MAX tracks while the other sections are being built by Metro, Milwaukie, Gladstone and Clackamas County.

Another 'Rail to Trail' project is the Red Line, another old interurban line that follows Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway and will eventually connect several Tualitan trails to the Terwilliger Trails and the Willamette near Johns Landing. This new trail is undergoing planning, but has yet to secure funding much like the Sullivan Gulch Trail and the Willamette Shoreline (which may become a streetcar extension instead).

Wow, I'm full of 'useless' information.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 4:13 AM

^ You're telling me you just happened to know all that stuff?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 4:04 AM

A couple other "bike highway possibilities"... using the Willamette Shore Line right-of-way from Lake Oswego to South Waterfront and from Milwaukie to Central Eastside along the Portland-Milwaukie light rail project..

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
A couple other "bike highway possibilities"... using the Willamette Shore Line right-of-way from Lake Oswego to South Waterfront and from Milwaukie to Central Eastside along the Portland-Milwaukie light rail project..
I assume the plan would be to then connect it to the Eastbank Esplanade and widen the Esplanade somehow.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 7:52 AM

Bike Thread

We need more to talk about instead of all the doom and gloom!

First post in the New bike thread!!! woo

Blog________

Here is a bike blog for fun http://bikeportland.org/

Video________

Great video on bike rush hour in Portland!

Streetfilms: Bike Rush Hour on Portland’s Hawthorne Bridge

http://www.streetsblog.org/2009/04/2...-rush-hour-on- portlands-hawthorne-bridge/

Thank you! Cant wait to see what everyone posts in the New Bike Thread

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:12 PM

What's the scoop on Broadway getting a bike lane?

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:20 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Adams promises to sacrifice a lane of Broadway traffic for cyclists

Posted by Joseph Rose. The Oregonian April 30, 2009 13:30PM

On Tuesday night, hometown rock band The Decemberists appeared on "The Colbert Report" and gave a national TV shout-out to Portland as a "big biking town." (Watch the video above).

On Thursday, Portland Mayor Sam Adams made it a little a bigger, promising to remove one of three automobile lanes on Southwest Broadway for a dedicated "cycletrack" near Portland State University.

The 7-foot-wide bikeway would cut through the heart of the university campus between Clay and Jackson streets. Parking spaces on the west side of the street would be moved several feet to the left, away from the sidewalk, creating a barrier of parked cars between cyclists and auto traffic. There would also be a 3-foot painted "shy zone" between parking and the bikeway, allowing people to get out of cars without disrupting bike traffic.

If it works to alleviate conflicts between motorists and cyclists, city transportation officials said separated bikeways could pop up on other busy streets.

"Part of the intent here," said Rob Burchfield, the Portland Bureau of Transportation's head traffic engineer, "is to demonstrate how something like this would work."

Burchfield is confident the experiment will show that cycletracks, common in European cities, improve traffic safety and flow.

Adams, whose list of "First 100 Days" promises included a downtown cycletrack, announced his plans at a PSU sustainability conference.

As transportation commissioner, Adams has the authority to push the project forward on his own, his office said. What's more, much of the cost, expected to be about $80,000, will come from savings in this year's transportation budget.

Initially, the exclusive bikeway was targeted for the North Park Blocks. But the Portland Fire Bureau opposed the plan, saying there wouldn't be enough room for emergency vehicles.

Broadway might be a better location anyway, said Roger Geller, the Bureau of Transportation's bicycle coordinator. "The current condition for bike commuters on Broadway is substandard," he said. "There's narrow parking, a narrow travel way, a narrow bike lane."

Geller said the cycletrack would provide "more space and comfort" for both motorists and cyclists approaching Portland State, one of the city's most popular bike destinations.

Another plus: Transportation officials said the targeted stretch of Broadway is under capacity and includes no major intersections.

In North America, cycletracks are novel but hardly new. New York City has one in the heart of Manhattan, and planners are incorporating the concept into making a large part of Times Square car-free. Chicago, meanwhile, is eyeing an elevated cycletrack through a heavy-trafficked part of the city.

In Portland, the $5.4 million Northeast Cully Boulevard improvement project, set to begin construction soon, will have a paved cycletrack from Killingsworth to Prescott streets resembling those in Montreal.

But the Broadway cycletrack, slated for completion in August, would be the city's first because it will require considerably less engineering and cost. Just, Burchfield said, "some new paint and moving a few signs."

-- Joseph Rose; josephrose@news.oregonian.com

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting...crifice_a.html

image from PBOT

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:28 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

This is older, but also a cycle track proposal for NE Cully:

http://bikeportland.org/2008/11/20/p...roposed-cully/

image hosted by bikeportland, by PBOT(?)

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:57 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Also, the North Park Blocks cycle track:

http://bikeportland.org/2009/03/23/c...h-park-blocks/

photo from neighborhoodnotes.com

apparently this one was canceled, and they are doing the PSU one instead.

Last edited by zilfondel; May 1, 2009 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 9:08 PM
Bombshell Vintage

I love these cycle tracks! I'm excited to see this go in on Broadway. Then we'll see what happens on Cully. Can't wait!

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 7:11 PM

I wish the Broadway track could go the length of downtown...maybe someday soon.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 7:24 PM

This is incredibly good news.

I commute to work on my bike every day (and have done so for the past 2 years), and my ride home takes me up Broadway from Washington all the way past I-405 where I transition onto Barbur.

I have lost track of the number of times I have had close calls on the Broadway bike lane between Jefferson and the 405 overpass. The parking spaces around PSU are heavily used, and I have been cut off, turned into, and nearly run over far too many times for my liking. The fact that there is very heavy bus traffic also makes for a rather treacherous ride since the busses have to turn into the bike lane in order to get to the stops, which either means that I need to merge into a lane of traffic or pull some sprints (who knew? Intervals training on my commute!) to get ahead of the bus before they reach their stop.

The new setup should improve things greatly, and I hope it works well enough to reconfigure some of the other heavy bike corridors in town.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 7:26 PM

Also-- what are the chances of seeing something like this on MLK and Grand? Assuming that the streetcar construction will tear up those streets anyways, wouldn't that be a perfect time to install some bike lanes over there?

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 9:29 PM
Bombshell Vintage

^^^ Indeed. MLK and Grand desperately need bike lanes.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 10:21 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I believe they gave up trying to put bike lanes on MLK/Grand during the streetcar planning process because it was too hard.

Bikeportland had an article about it a few months ago, you could dig it up...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 11:50 AM

Just got this off the PortlandOnline site... don't know if it's been posted here:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...ex.cfm?c=44674

Quote:
Key elements of the 2009 bicycle plan update

We are focusing on creating conditions that allow average Portlanders to feel as safe and comfortable riding bicycles for their daily needs as they do today when they hop into their cars. To achieve that, we expect to:
  • Strengthen city policies in support of bicycling
  • Expand the network of planned bikeways from 650 to 926 miles
  • Develop new designs for safe, comfortable attractive bikeways that can carry more bicyclists
  • Emphasize construction of “low-stress” bikeways in the strategic implementation plan
  • Provide more and better bicycle parking that does not clutter the sidewalks
  • Strengthen and expand our educational and encouragement programs like Safer Routes to Schools, SmartTrips and Sunday Parkways
  • Continue to better integrate enforcement into transportation to reinforce safer roadway conditions for all users
  • Monitor our efforts through various evaluation methods so we know what works and what we need to adjust

The May open houses are over, but you can still visit our VIRTUAL OPEN HOUSE.

What’s next?
  • Draft plan document incorporating open house feedback released for public comment in late July
  • Planning Commission hearing tentatively scheduled for the evening of Tuesday, August 25, 2009
  • City Council hearing tentatively scheduled for the evening of Wednesday, October 21,2009
  • Policy recommendations folded into upcoming Transportation System Plan update
It looks like the city has really fast tracked bike improvements this year.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 12:11 PM

This image makes it look like they are planning a bike expressway along I-84. Pink is an off-road bike path... bolded lines are proposed.

Check out all the info here: http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...44674&a=244372

Last edited by JordanL; Jun 18, 2009 at 12:26 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure