HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 7:25 AM

Phoenix Tree Planting this Saturday

Pretty badass...they need volunteers.

Neighborhood to receive trees

PHOENIX - Mayor Phil Gordon, Valley Forward, local residents and Arizona State University students will plant 40 evergreen elm trees in a downtown Phoenix neighborhood on Saturday.

The planting will take place at Fourth, Fifth and Sixth streets south of Roosevelt Street.

The group is looking for volun- teers, spokeswoman Patty Johnson said.

Volunteers can register to participate at mayor.rsvp@phoenix.gov or can come and help out on Saturday, she said.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 1:58 PM

I just signed up.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 11:38 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Nice, I'd be there if I didn't have work. We desperately need more trees downtown. That neighborhood also needs to do something with the planters between the sidewalks and streets. 5th St in the Evans Churchill hood could be really cool, but the grass in the planters is constantly dead. Who's responsibility for maintenance is that? Is that technically city land or does the individual property owner whos land is behind the strip supposed to keep that up?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 11:59 PM
BANNED

My real job sounds better so I'll go to that.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Nice, I'd be there if I didn't have work. We desperately need more trees downtown. That neighborhood also needs to do something with the planters between the sidewalks and streets. 5th St in the Evans Churchill hood could be really cool, but the grass in the planters is constantly dead. Who's responsibility for maintenance is that? Is that technically city land or does the individual property owner whos land is behind the strip supposed to keep that up?

it is the property owner's responsibility.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 12:54 AM

Another article on the event...

Chinese elms to be planted downtown
Phoenix Business Journal

The greening of Phoenix will start Saturday as Mayor Phil Gordon and Valley Forward partner to plant 40 trees downtown.

The planting of the Chinese evergreen elms is part of an effort to green up Phoenix and reduce the city’s carbon emissions, also marking Valley Forward’s 40th anniversary. They will be planted on Fourth through Sixth streets south of Roosevelt Avenue between 7:30 a.m. and noon.

The trees were donated by Salt River Project and Enterprise Rent-A-Car. They will bring the total number of trees planted in the area since last fall to 120.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 1:16 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Cool. If I was in Phoenix I would help out. Trees are great investments and add pride and beauty.
Do flowering trees do well in your climate, such as Dogwoods, Flowering Pears, Redbuds?
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 2:09 AM

Wait, they were donated by SRP?? Didn't they do some sort of promotion last year during Diamondback games? Something like, each run scored and SRP would donate a tree. So, after almost 6 months they finally got around to donating 40?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 3:39 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Wait, they were donated by SRP?? Didn't they do some sort of promotion last year during Diamondback games? Something like, each run scored and SRP would donate a tree. So, after almost 6 months they finally got around to donating 40?
They ended up a donating a ton of trees, I think it was 10 per run. But they were in a fire damaged rural area, so it didn't really help Phoenix. I'd love to see a similar promotion for urban forestry.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest