HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 7:45 PM

Twilight of the Industrial Age

The original thread with comments: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=128954

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 9:37 PM

I used to live in 2 of the buildings featured here.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:52 PM
Closed account

I'd LOVE to live in this bldg

I fell in love w/ it when I was 14 y/o Grade 9 student at Cathedral... we used to have outdoor gym classes at Woodlands Park.

Despite the shady hood, I'd buy up a loft in that bldg in a second!! It's gorgeous. I may be the ONLY resident, but that's ok by me. I can blast my music that way! hahaha

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 5:36 AM
Cambridgite

Are you sure this isn't supposed to be in the Philidelphia or Wilmington thread?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 8:24 AM
Hammer'd

That particular stretch of Sherman, North of Barton is one of the worst in the city in terms of concentrated depression. Most of it however is in that shot, the rest of the street North of there is empty fields, railway or active industrial.

Funny thing is that if you took that picture 5 years ago, I'm pretty sure non of that was abandoned. I used to work across the street and I don't remember it being so bad. I'm very certain the fire in that building happened within the last 2 or 3 years.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 4:05 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

This is a great gritastic thread. Thanks for sharing Flar!

Flickr®

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 10:58 AM

My uncle lives a couple houses from here on Gertrude!

Great thread, although i would have liked to see more pics of the actual factories... I've always wanted to take night shots from the elevated section of Burlington street, just a little scared of setting up the tripod there!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 1:10 PM
Hammer'd

It's pretty hard to take pictures of the actual steel mills without getting questioned, especially since US Steel took over Stelco. If you step foot anywhere North of Burlington St., you're trespassing. It's all either Dofasco, US Steel or Federal land. I've had problems with the Port Auth. when taking pictures before.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 9:33 PM
Closed account

americans are so paranoid!! hahaha
Maybe they should spend more time in their suburban, gated subdivisions and less time worrying about urban lovers taking pictures.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos