HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 9:21 PM

I drove by within the past seven days and it didn't look like there was any action yet.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 4:19 AM

Harbour West Towns on Barton Street West

From Jason Thorne's FB

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 5:02 AM

I'm really happy they're finally starting these. Even though the site plan is weird, they are going to look stellar when they're done. The similar ones on Plains road in Aldershot look really awesome, steps above what surrounds them.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 10:48 AM

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 9:25 PM

Some recent photos of the site. I actually really love how these are turning out. The render was a little deceiving as it made the parking lot area look WAY bigger than it is in real life. These are also substantially closer to the street than they initially appeared. Seems to work well with the surrounding area a lot!

I also want to note that the windows and doors they've installed have DARK GREEN frames and I think it's a really spectacular touch, and I'll explain why after the photos.

Here are some photos of area buildings that utilize the brick/stone/dark green palette. I think the use of the green window frames in the new development is a really lovely nod to the industrial look of the area.

When I started to look around, I saw green everywhere. There's even a forest green quonset hut about a block from these.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 11:15 PM

Nice!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 11:09 PM

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 11:49 PM

I'm kind of disappointed with how this is turning out compared to their projects in Burlington. They left out a lot of details from the rendering, and that faux sealed window on the east side of the grey building is just strange.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 12:18 AM

Those dormers are brutal. They are out of scale, and look pointless. Making them wider or shorter would have improved the look, but the building would have been much improved if they had been left off completely.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I'm kind of disappointed with how this is turning out compared to their projects in Burlington. They left out a lot of details from the rendering, and that faux sealed window on the east side of the grey building is just strange.
Yeah there's definitely some strange differences happening here, but this was also the case with Village West in Burlington. Renders showed windows that were eventually moved or omitted, differences in the masonry detailing... etc. It seems to be a bit more so with this development. The entire sides appear blank when there were windows shown in both renders and plans, as well as a curiously blocked out window on the second floor of each facade. I'm also not sure how some buyers would feel about the green window/door frames when elevations showed black... I like it but some people will loathe the colour. I wish more of an effort was made to disguise or relocate the exhaust vents. They really throw off the facade for me.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 3:53 AM

For me, I am very happy with the level of investment. Will be interesting to see how it finishes up, and a great leading example of early gentrification of a neighbourhood. Hope they are well rewarded and it becomes infectious.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 4:06 AM

I guess they are going for a faux rustic thing where this is supposed to look like a converted mill/barn and some warehouses. Right now this is by itself but soon will just be another development over there. Also I love how the neighbour is selling

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 9:02 PM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 10:59 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

A bit much open space, but at least they're not doing the classic Ottawa cheap out of a brick front and then siding everywhere else.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 11:42 PM

i like this project ... the faux filled in brick window is a little tacky though...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 12:05 AM

Notice the most easterly brick building in the back? That first row (from east to west) is slightly lower than the rest of the block. It does something very strange to my brain...

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; Apr 9, 2017 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 12:11 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Notice the most easterly brick building in the back - that first row (from east to west) is slightly lower than the rest of the block. It does something very strange to my brain...
What the hell? That looks really weird. We might need another update on that, just to see how it integrates with the other buildings...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 1:53 PM

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 2:31 PM

Am I the only one that throws up in my mouth a little when I see a new build with fake dormers?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
Those dormers are brutal. They are out of scale, and look pointless. Making them wider or shorter would have improved the look, but the building would have been much improved if they had been left off completely.
You're not alone, Bacon Poutine! Those stupid pointless dormers are still the only thing I see when I look at those pictures.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton