HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Sorry. They're real estate type guys mostly. "Businessmen". What I meant was they act likes lawyers, deal with lawyers, know what to do to skirt the laws.

The couple lawyers that I've dealt with on a few construction type projects, do things like not paying their bills. It's not worth the hassle for us to go through the courts to re-coup the costs. They know it. We don't deal with those companies and/or lawyers anymore.

Anyways.. I'll stop thumping this topic for now.
If that happens, I would like to think word would spread pretty fast and those lawyers would run out of clients in fairly short order.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 2:46 PM

It feels like it has been forever since we've heard anything about the office tower component of this complex. I wonder if the City has made any progress with it, even in terms of coming up with an actual plan for the building?

I would hate to see it demolished as it seems well suited to some sort of redevelopment. But at the rate things are going I am starting to wonder.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 2:56 PM

What should've, or maybe should still, happen is the Police move in to the tower and use it for their office space. And leave the warehouse portion for all their goods and jail cells and such. Then maybe they can even park all their personal vehicles in their instead of finding parkade space elsewhere. It will cost money to renovate and retrofit the recently renovated warehouse part (and tower too). but in the end it just might be the most cost effective and acceptable outcome for the whole thing.

Where did all the lawsuits end up? I've lost track of that at this point. civil court guilty verdicts?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 3:23 PM

I think the WPS HQ tower is a three part challenge, the cost to renovate the space, the relatively small floor plates, and the legitimate security and perception concerns regarding possible tenants.

With the last of the three it likely means moving something along the lines of the Property and Development office from their currently leased space into the building. Another good choice would be 311 but the limited floor plate size could be a factor there.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It feels like it has been forever since we've heard anything about the office tower component of this complex. I wonder if the City has made any progress with it, even in terms of coming up with an actual plan for the building?

I would hate to see it demolished as it seems well suited to some sort of redevelopment. But at the rate things are going I am starting to wonder.
It won't be demolished as there are too many electrical/mechanical systems tied together. Unfortunately the City did not realize that until after they took title to the building.

Verne Reimer Architecture Incorporated was awarded a tendered contract in late September 2022 to do a study on rehabilitating the tower with the intent of some Winnipeg Departments moving in.

I don't know when the due date for the report is and I would not be surprised if its kept confidential when its complete.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I think the WPS HQ tower is a three part challenge, the cost to renovate the space, the relatively small floor plates, and the legitimate security and perception concerns regarding possible tenants.

With the last of the three it likely means moving something along the lines of the Property and Development office from their currently leased space into the building. Another good choice would be 311 but the limited floor plate size could be a factor there.
311 renewed its space at City Place a year or so ago so I don't think that they will be moving soon.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 4:56 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...uits-1.6779433

Winnipeg poised to settle some police HQ fraud, deficiency lawsuits for $21.5M to $28M

Proposed deal would end claims against dozens of people and companies, including Caspian Construction

Bartley Kives · CBC News · Posted: Mar 15, 2023 10:33 AM CDT | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

The City of Winnipeg is poised to settle with most of the defendants in its lawsuits over the construction of its downtown police headquarters for $21.5 million to $28 million, depending on how long it takes for money to be paid back.

City council's executive policy committee will meet at noon on Wednesday to consider a deal to settle fraud and deficiencies lawsuits against dozens of people and companies involved in the procurement and construction of the Winnipeg police headquarters on Graham Avenue.

The proposed settlement does not include former Winnipeg chief administrative officer Phil Sheegl and several other defendants in a legal action that was severed from the city's original lawsuit.

The settlement would end legal action against police HQ contractor Caspian Construction and its owner Armik Babakhanians.

Also, the Police don't want to park in the parkade they requested. How ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Also, the Police don't want to park in the parkade they requested. How ridiculous.
When council debated that, Mayes argued something to the effect of, "If we fight this union grievance, we're going to get sued and there's a good chance we lose, so we'll end up paying for the parkade and whatever other costs are incurred by litigation. If we offer the parkade, and the police vote to reject the offer, we've addressed the grievance and spent $0".

I guess the later happened.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 5:13 PM

Perfect.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 5:20 PM

Quote:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...uits-1.6779433

Winnipeg poised to settle some police HQ fraud, deficiency lawsuits for $21.5M to $28M

Proposed deal would end claims against dozens of people and companies, including Caspian Construction

Bartley Kives · CBC News · Posted: Mar 15, 2023 10:33 AM CDT | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

The City of Winnipeg is poised to settle with most of the defendants in its lawsuits over the construction of its downtown police headquarters for $21.5 million to $28 million, depending on how long it takes for money to be paid back.

City council's executive policy committee will meet at noon on Wednesday to consider a deal to settle fraud and deficiencies lawsuits against dozens of people and companies involved in the procurement and construction of the Winnipeg police headquarters on Graham Avenue.

The proposed settlement does not include former Winnipeg chief administrative officer Phil Sheegl and several other defendants in a legal action that was severed from the city's original lawsuit.

The settlement would end legal action against police HQ contractor Caspian Construction and its owner Armik Babakhanians.

Hopefully the city sees this money and it doesn't get lost in endless appeals, AND Caspian is never allowed to bid on a city contract again.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 6:15 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
If we offer the parkade, and the police vote to reject the offer, we've addressed the grievance and spent $0".

I guess the later happened.
The way I read it was that the City's offer was the secure lower level of the Library parkade only if the Police can guarantee that all 250 or so spots would be purchased at $200+ per month...anything less and the City no longer had to make the offer. The City would be losing approx $100k per year for this arrangement in lost premium parking fees to the public.

My guess is the Police were expecting something for free or at least much cheaper. When they were faced with having to pay $200+ per month it proved to be to much for all those making $100k+ per year. They could not secure enough interest to fill all of the requires spots.

Maybe they could just police the area making it safer for all citizens. If the police are scared for their safety it doesn't say much for the service they are providing.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 9:40 PM

^^^
Exactly. I don't want to come across as anti-police but really, if we give you a 3rd of a billion dollars every year, and you can't control safety in a few block radius around your downtown headquarters, or deal with the zombies walking around assaulting people, why are you surprised when people start to have a negative view of the WPS?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 9:58 PM

It's not being anti-police. We are allowed to question absolutely everything. The literal police are scared to walk the streets immediately outside police HQ. That's a problem.

Then, they don't want to pay for their parking. They could always ride the bus. But probably live out of the City, so that's not an option.

Being respectful to their original plight. It is in the over night hour they are afraid to walk outside for fear of being targeted. So are any parkades actually open overnight if they did want to pay for parking somewhere? The skywalk I closed, so how would they get there without going outside? the whole thing is just a bit ridiculous.

My recent suggestion is they could move offices and sch into the old Canada Post tower and convert a portion of the lower level warehouse into parking. We tax payers would be on the hook of course.

Or. Do their job and police the streets.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 10:45 PM

I believe the lower level is already parking for the downtown district police cars and the police service garage area. I would not be surprised if the "white shirts" also have their parking in the lower level.

Maybe even the specialty units like the bomb squad, checkstop/accident response vans and the tactical response vehicle have spots in the basement as that sort of keeps them central to the city for response times.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 1:40 PM

Quote:
It's not being anti-police. We are allowed to question absolutely everything. The literal police are scared to walk the streets immediately outside police HQ. That's a problem.

Then, they don't want to pay for their parking. They could always ride the bus. But probably live out of the City, so that's not an option.

Being respectful to their original plight. It is in the over night hour they are afraid to walk outside for fear of being targeted. So are any parkades actually open overnight if they did want to pay for parking somewhere? The skywalk I closed, so how would they get there without going outside? the whole thing is just a bit ridiculous.

My recent suggestion is they could move offices and sch into the old Canada Post tower and convert a portion of the lower level warehouse into parking. We tax payers would be on the hook of course.

Or. Do their job and police the streets.
Yeah, it is not a great look for the police, that's for sure.

That being said, I could understand the desire to have secure parking without necessarily taking away from the Millennium Library's supply. But where do you put it? Having a giant new parkade on Graham, probably one of the only streets in downtown Winnipeg with some positive momentum, would be a real buzzkill. And if not there, then where? I'm not sure that there are any ideal solutions here. It's yet another shortcoming of Katz's boondoggle.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 1:52 PM
What could go wrong?

Well, they will be building a ten storey, 750 stall parkade half a block north of the Police Headquarters that I'm sure would be receptive to securing 250 pre-leased parking spots.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 1:53 PM

^ Is that building going to have any frontage along Graham Ave.? If so, that could work, the police could even have a direct skywalk connection to it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it is not a great look for the police, that's for sure.

That being said, I could understand the desire to have secure parking without necessarily taking away from the Millennium Library's supply. But where do you put it? Having a giant new parkade on Graham, probably one of the only streets in downtown Winnipeg with some positive momentum, would be a real buzzkill. And if not there, then where? I'm not sure that there are any ideal solutions here. It's yet another shortcoming of Katz's boondoggle.
Ultimately, the issue has been laid to rest as the officers appear unwilling to pay for parking. Clearly, they don't want it that badly.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 2:45 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
^ Is that building going to have any frontage along Graham Ave.? If so, that could work, the police could even have a direct skywalk connection to it.
No, the SkyCity site is in between it and the Police HQ 300 ft away.

In regards to the SkyCity site, I heard it was sold to a certain local Italian owner and apparently there are no plans for it other than surface parking.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Ultimately, the issue has been laid to rest as the officers appear unwilling to pay for parking. Clearly, they don't want it that badly.
I figured that in the long term they'd want to secure access to parking for staff, as well as possibly some stalls for the office tower, if and when someone ever starts to occupy it. But as Biff has pointed out, the new parkade on Smith won't be in a position for a direct connection to the Police HQ anyway, so that might not be the answer either.

It could have worked out differently had SkyCity been built and then the Smith parkade would have been a short, secure skywalk passage away from the Police. I'm not sure what other options they really have.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan