HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 9:27 PM

As an addendum to my post above, the names of the two Indian pitchers are Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel. Singh won, and Patel was runner-up in the "Million Dollar Arm" competition in India, a reality show that tried to find potential pitching talent.

They both pitched for the Pirates Gulf Coast League affiliate last year.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
First off, it was not built with the NFL in mind. And secondly, no, its nowhere near "suitable". It was so when it opened in 1983 but not now. The stadium has nowhere near the revenue making capabilities that modern day ballparks have.
Revenue making capabilities? You know what makes money? Sold out stadiums. The newly renovated BC Place would be fine for a team that was winning and attracting fans. But baseball isn't coming here anyway.

The reason Montreal moved is because they were drawing 7000 people to a game.

You're believing the same hype that politicians do when they're told XX team needs a new home at $1b+ of taxpayer expense or they will be "forced to leave".

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Revenue making capabilities? You know what makes money? Sold out stadiums. The newly renovated BC Place would be fine for a team that was winning and attracting fans. But baseball isn't coming here anyway.

The reason Montreal moved is because they were drawing 7000 people to a game.

You're believing the same hype that politicians do when they're told XX team needs a new home at $1b+ of taxpayer expense or they will be "forced to leave".
Not really, There was no coroprate support of the Expos. If your luxury boxes are full, you profit a whole lot more than having a sold out stadium with poor corporate support.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 9:36 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
umm.......no shit. Hence me mentioning Kerfoot. His plan for the Whitecaps stadium is all but dead with the BC Place reno.
It is not dead; it simply has not been permitted. The Whitecaps do not care for BC Place (even with its renovations) and retain every desire to build a purpose-built soccer stadium on the waterfront. Thus the obvious point was that if the government ever permitted a stadium to be built in this area, it will be a purpose-built soccer stadium as per the land owner's desire.

Get it, sport?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
It is not dead; it simply has not been permitted. The Whitecaps do not care for BC Place (even with its renovations) and retain every desire to build a purpose-built soccer stadium on the waterfront. Thus the obvious point was that if the government ever permitted a stadium to be built in this area, it will be a purpose-built soccer stadium as per the land owner's desire.

Get it, sport?
I wonder how long the 'Caps would be willing to stay in BC Place. I've read that the 'Caps will be at BC Place until at least 2016. What if the government just says NO to the 'Caps' stadium? Then what do they do? Look elsewhere in Vancouver? Cause it doesn't really make sense to build out in Surrey. Would they go back to Burnaby and build a new stadium there?

On top of that. If the 'Caps leave BC Place, that would mean the only sport franchise to call BC Place home would be...the BC Lions.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:41 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I wonder how long the 'Caps would be willing to stay in BC Place. I've read that the 'Caps will be at BC Place until at least 2016. What if the government just says NO to the 'Caps' stadium? Then what do they do? Look elsewhere in Vancouver? Cause it doesn't really make sense to build out in Surrey. Would they go back to Burnaby and build a new stadium there?

On top of that. If the 'Caps leave BC Place, that would mean the only sport franchise to call BC Place home would be...the BC Lions.
If Waterfront Stadium gets nixed, then they'll most likely stay and BC Place with the Leo's. Why would they go elsewhere? It works out for the Caps and BC Place. Its an extra 15+ events/year.

The only other obvious choice would be to build a permanent Empire Field, and that's not likely to happen.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 7:18 PM
loafing in lotusland

I'd put them across the river from Vancouver, in Portland.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
If Waterfront Stadium gets nixed, then they'll most likely stay and BC Place with the Leo's. Why would they go elsewhere? It works out for the Caps and BC Place. Its an extra 15+ events/year.

The only other obvious choice would be to build a permanent Empire Field, and that's not likely to happen.
Wouldn't the 'Caps consider another place for a stadium in or near the downtown core? I can't see them playing at BC Place long term. 5 years, maybe 7 years, but they'll probably be frustrated (if they're not already) with the current progress (or lack thereof) with the stadium.

To be frank. I don't understand the politicians in this town. Kerfoot would be on the hook for the ENTIRE stadium project, nothing coming taxpayers, and the city rejects this deal?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 2:22 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I certainly don't expect to see the organization come out and state they are no longer pursuing a stadium, but I don't think they are anymore. No inside info, just a hunch.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 8:08 PM

They most certainly are still pursuing a new stadium, its just that the project has been pushed back for a couple of years while the issues get settled or an alternative site is found (which the Caps are dead set against at this point).

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 8:50 AM

If MLB expansion is coming in Vancouver, I would prefer to build the stadium near Airport (next to BCIT Aerospace Campus) or East Richmond. ummm....i think if they want to build the stadium near skytrains station, it would be better to build it in Alderbridge, Garden City, No 4 Road, and Westminster Highway in Richmond because it is near Lansdowne Station. I know that land is right from Canada Defense, but it is never used.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post
Two things:

Vancouver can not support an MLB team. We couldn't even hold onto a AAA minor-league franchise. With no revenue sharing or salary cap in place, how is Vancouver going to compete for players, who can command up to $25 million US per year to play the game. Toronto--with all of its corporate clout and muscle--is barely holding on to the Blue Jays due to the economics of MLB.

Second: Jerico Beach for a stadium?!? Are you kidding me?!? Do I really have to go into the myriad ways in which that is just a ridiculous idea?
Vancouver and BC can definitely support a major league team. Our province produces the best baseball players by far in this country. I can go into a myriad of reasons why we could support MLB. We lost our AAA team because our park is too small. If we built a proper park, which we could do at coal harbour, it would be the best ball park in North America, and we would be one of the strongest franchises in MLB. Baseball needs Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 9:37 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Wow you really believe that?
Can't believe we don't have billionaires lining up to build up a stadium and purchase a team for us.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 12:22 AM

If things are done right, I think Vancouver would thrive as a MLB city. Here's my list of reasons why it would work.

1. The baseball park - Historic Gastown would be a perfect match for baseball, which are both deep in history. With the water and the mountains as a backdrop, the park itself would be the most picturesque park in baseball. That in itself would draw fans out as well as the cool vibe of Gastown. Just going to the game itself would be a cool experience. If the Blue Jays weren't playing in the sterile environment they are in, attendance figures would be much higher. Baseball is much more of a social event than other sports, so the Gastown location and the stadium itself would cater to that.

2. Local talent - BC has the ability to produce MVP quality baseball players and could easily have a team roster with multiple local players. This would make a huge difference in drawing interest from fans. Something the Grizzlies could not do.

3. International talent - South Korea and Japan supply high caliber players to MLB and would be sure to attract some interest from our large Asian population. Baseball is fairly new in China, but is growing at a rapid rate, just like everything in China. It won't be long before China has players in MLB. If MLB wants to tap a mega market like China, Vancouver is the best place to do it.

4. Population - There would be a sizable population on the doorstep of Gastown Park. DT Vancouver has 90 000 people who live in the DT peninsula, making it the most densely populated 2 square miles outside of New York. As well as the dense surrounding neighborhoods - Kits, Mt. Pleasant, Commercial Drive, etc. A lot will come just for the social aspect, scenery and atmosphere.
Other U.S. cities don't even come close to matching that kind of population base so close to the stadium.

5. Stadium financing - A 20 000 seat stadium could be built to accommodate a triple A team, and then have it expandable to major league standards when the time is right, making building and financing the stadium much easier.

6. Solid ownership - Not sure who would be interested in bringing MLB to Vancouver, maybe Aquilini? Once we've established ourselves as the best franchise in Minor League Baseball, somebody would step up.

Now onto naming the team...

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 8:12 AM
Big City Enthusiast

I would think Vancouver should shoot for 40,000 from the start. If you're going to do it, then do it right the first time (and not this expansion crap, anymore).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 8:20 AM
Big City Enthusiast

one question though, could BC Place be configured for baseball?

If it could, WOW - just think of how much cheaper that would be and seating would definitely be in line with MLB expectations.

In a perfect world, I really wish Vancouver could get the NBA back first (with Alquini as the owner) in GM Place, co-mingling with the Canucks and Vancouver being the NBA gateway to China (that TO is to Europe). THEN, if the stadium could be fitted for it and if Alquini formed a major league conglomerate of sorts - go get a MLB team (again, to become Western Canada's/Asia's MLB team/connector).

I totally agree Vancouver has the population but there would really need to be some consideration about the stadium (particularly since MLB coinsides with CFL season). If there is a way to easily do it in BC Place - omg, it is as good as a done deal imo. But get the NBA first, since it is most likely the easiest.

CFL, NHL, MLS, NBA, and MLB; a nice resume for Vancouver for major league teams.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 12:34 PM

Good grief, the rose-coloured goggles in this thread. Even the Canucks have had attendance issues in the past ("$0.25 and a payphone to move this team"), and that was with a shiny new downtown arena. It's nuts to think that anyone would be willing to risk the kind of money required to bring an MLB team here, let alone an MLB AND an NBA team. Vancouver simply does not have the population for that, and that fact should be obvious considering Toronto is a small market in both leagues, even with the Leafs having an extended playoff drought. And Montreal doesn't have a team in either league.

I think people are getting a somewhat deceived by the fact that the Lions and Canucks are both championship-contending teams right now and are reaping the benefits in attendance, and that's leading people to believe we're a much bigger sports market than we really are long-term. If those teams stop being successful on the ice and field, or the Canadian dollar tanks again, it's a totally different story. It just doesn't make sense to get anyone's hopes up for an MLB team here.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 2:05 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibleairwaves View Post

It's nuts to think that anyone would be willing to risk the kind of money required to bring an MLB team here... Vancouver simply does not have the population for that...
Really?

Let's have a look at the facts: Vancouver has a larger metro population than Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleavland, Kansas City and Milwaukee. Moreover, Vancouver is statistically tied with Denver and projected to overtake Baltimore and St. Petersburg in a few years.

So, in terms of metro population, Vancouver is already (or inevitably) superior to eight cities that currently have MLB. Some of those cities currently have MLB, NHL and NBA, and at least one of those cities (i.e., Denver, whose population is statistically identical to Vancouver's) currently has MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS and NFL too!

Thus, as you ought to be able to see, your assertion is unequivocally contradicted by the facts.

Last edited by Prometheus; Dec 19, 2011 at 4:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 5:20 PM

^Yes, in terms of gross population Vancouver would not be at the bottom of the list; we get it. I think the above poster was implying that we don't have the same demographics as those cities (ie. baseball fans).

Sitting around at a baseball stadium is near the top of the list of things to do in most of those cities you listed, but would be so far down the list for so many Vancouverites that I can't see this city supporting a full 81-game home season.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 5:59 PM
scared of rain

The weird thing about baseball though, is that you don't actually need people to go to the game to keep above water. The Florida Marlins Kansas City Royals and the Oakland A’s average something like 19000 a game. They just keep their payroll low and live off the TV rights.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation