HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 9:38 PM

Here's a zoomed in version.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 10:20 PM
Rundberg & I35

NORELCO TOWER!

That's a good looking tower that will have a huge presence for people walking down Congress and the 5th/6th St corridor.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 11:43 PM
Meh

Yep. The Frost Bank Tower was labeled the nose hair trimmer, so I guess this one is the clipper/razor.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 11:46 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
BBVA is my favorite of the Ryan towers. This looks like a Chinese supertall but squished down and stuffed with parking levels. This could be the new Frost, aka "tall design on short building."

Crazy that Austin has so much in the pipeline that I consider 658' short without thinking now!

You can see 405 Colorado massed behind 5C.
We're going to have three buildings under construction at once with a total of 166 floors. I don't think that's happened in Texas since the 80s.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 11:53 PM

This is the smoothest, least textured building (I believe) we have downtown. No sharp edges, shiny, elegant. I really like it, especially the top. Still not a fan of the notches. They are awesome for the tenants, but from an aesthetic point of view, they interrupt the smooth flow from bottom to top and imo, and takes away some of the overall sleekness. Its a small issue, but I seem to always find something negative to say even on an otherwise amazing rendering. Sorry. It might just be the reflection, but does the parking portion go all the way up to the first notch? There seems to be a distinct line there. I'm going to admit that this would be my favorite building downtown if built exactly like the rendering.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 12:05 AM

Love the tapered corners, that's going to create some really cool reflections. Hoping the glass stays at dark like this.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 1:15 AM

The nice rounded corners remind me of the original version of the Fairmont. If built, I hope this doesn't get VE'ed with square corners.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 1:27 AM
クラブトクヨ

That’s beautiful! I like it.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:33 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Arrow

Very sleek, but I still think it's oriented the wrong way. Should be facing south like the majority of our buildings. Looks like that one kid in the class who thinks of himself as the class clown who turns his desk facing the back of the class room when the teacher walks in. Other than that one complaint, it's a pretty bad ass looking tower.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 3:16 AM

It looks so smooth, like one of those spa rocks but molded into a tower. I love it. Pretty crazy to see a dense office district these days, one that didn’t exist in even the first half of the last decade. 3rd and Colorado was the first downtown office high-rise since Frost right?

Now we’ve had Google Tower and 5th and Colorado delivered. 6 X Guad (mixed-use), Block 185, Indeed Block 71, Parsley Energy, and 405 Colorado all U/C

BBVA and Tower 5c in the pipeline among some more speculative ones, like The Republic and whatever is going on with Lincoln and Waller. I’m not calling it WeWork because that company is in shambles. I think when the dust settles they’ll have little involvement.

Anyway, that stretch along Colorado is DENSE pure-play Class A office. No more silicon Hills... live and stay downtown. Vibrant business community now too. It’s the 9-5 jobs at Greenwater that activate that area the most. It’s flooded during lunch and then when people get off work. I remember the days (back in the day.. 2012 haha) when most people you saw downtown were maybe walking around 2nd or living in Market district. Now that whole gap is filled. Daytime was dead. Not so much anymore.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 5:14 AM

Depending on what is at street level this could be an overall negative. It'd be a shame to loose all the bars and restaurants for a boring office building that none of us will ever work in. Fingers crossed the first floor adds to the street life rather than take like the many Dallas skyscrapers do.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Very sleek, but I still think it's oriented the wrong way. Should be facing south like the majority of our buildings. Looks like that one kid in the class who thinks of himself as the class clown who turns his desk facing the back of the class room when the teacher walks in.
I actually don’t mind it oriented this way. The skyline when viewed from the north will have a more distinct look. Makes a greater impression overall that way with it being more towards the center of downtown and it’s size.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 6:27 AM

I hate to even ask the question cause I might not like the answer, but do we have any certainty that this will rise? It seems like on-spec office space might be the first thing to contract in a recession, and as far as I can remember there wasn't an announced anchor tenant, right?

It's gorgeous and I'd love to see this one deliver to market. Does anyone have any tea leaves to read on its future?

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 12:26 PM

Whaaaat the hell? The curves on that bish make it sexy as hell! I love the top and the curved corners.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreditch View Post
I hate to even ask the question cause I might not like the answer, but do we have any certainty that this will rise?
The developer plans to start construction on this in January 2021, and confirmed that yesterday, so I'm confident in this one.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 3:15 PM

Love. I hope that crown survives. It will be a landmark shape.....especialy against all the sharp angle buildings we have going up. I'm not hating on the sharp angles... we've just been living in that look for a while.... so this is very welcome! Plus is will be great to have a tower with a unique identity and not just "tall" (boxes).

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 3:45 PM

A hair clipper is very fitting for this time we're in now.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 4:52 PM
クラブトクヨ

Ha! True!

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 6:08 PM

Yep, I love it too. Such a major departure from anything else going up right now (think of it as the polar opposite of 6X’s boxy aesthetic). I see a lot of SF’s Salesforce Tower in it, too — though this one (if the rendering is accurate) will look much more like it’s made out of chrome, or a smooth metal.

I’m also curious about the funding for this one, and how precarious (or not) it might be. Ryan sounds pretty confident, but I’d say the times call for an equal dose of healthy skepticism about pretty much anything. But man, I hope it goes up as is. It’s a beaut.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 6:46 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
I actually don’t mind it oriented this way. The skyline when viewed from the north will have a more distinct look. Makes a greater impression overall that way with it being more towards the center of downtown and it’s size.
I studied the rendering for a bit earlier and have changed my mind. Considering the curved angles at the top are at different heights from one another, from the south, it will have a distinct angled rounded curve from the east facing side to the west. In fact regardless of what direction this tower is viewed, it's going to look impressive. I think the architects hit a home run and I agree that this will be a signature tower for the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin