HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 5:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCowboy View Post
Great Article from Architectural Record:

"A Controversial Tower at Ground Zero"
By Joann Gonchar, AIA

http://archrecord.construction.com/p...ade-Center.asp

Nice diagram of the spire. This will play the biggest role on how the tower defines the skyline of lower Manhattan.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 5:15 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 6:49 AM

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
1) Floor 74.

2) The base can't be clad with glass yet, because the glass company canceled, and they need to find a new company.

3) Tower 4 still needs to go higher to get to the setback.

4) Tower 2 will be built to street level until someone rents space in the building.
you are right except for the height. they are now at 80th floor 991'-0

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
1) Floor 74.

2) The base can't be clad with glass yet, because the glass company canceled, and they need to find a new company.

3) Tower 4 still needs to go higher to get to the setback.

4) Tower 2 will be built to street level until someone rents space in the building.

They are on more than 74, there in 80, there goal is to make 1000 feet before 10 anniversary.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 12:56 PM
Frigidus Maximus

What's the Big Controversy about?

The tired old spire vs. roof height meme? That's only been going on since 1929 or so.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 12:58 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Look at the presence of 4 WTC!

Is there a soul so dead at the PA that it does not long to see the whole center completed right now? I can't believe their attitude when it comes to putting off completion of the center.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Damn, the Goldman Sachs building looks good in that pic!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 3:49 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ you think so? while thats definitely a striking angle of it, maybe the best, i still think its a pretty bland looking infill office building. soon these wtc structures will dwarf it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 4:28 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:

By Joann Gonchar, AIA

"There is no denying that One World Trade Center (WTC), the 104-story tower now rising at the northern end of the Ground Zero site, is a tremendously ambitious commercial real estate venture..."

Although the article title suggests otherwise, it says pretty much nothing about any controversy.

Interesting description of the new base, however:

"However, after discovering that tempering caused the panels to bow, interfering with the laminating process, the project team devised another solution. The alternate, which sources describe as glass fins projecting from the facade at various angles, is now in the bidding phase but has yet to be finalized."

Lots of construction and structural details I really haven't seen anywhere else, including this and other detailed drawings:
The drawing is from SOM but I got it off of Architecture Record's website, same link as above.
Well, clearly this building isn't actually going to be 1,776' tall.
Main Lobby is at Elv. 311'2
North Entrance is at 307'10"
Beacon is at 2087'2, 1776' above main lobby floor, but 1779'4 above north entrance.
PLUS, if you look at the top of the diagram, there's an 8' section above the beacon, making it 1787'4" tall.

1787 is actually a much better number, when you think about it. 1776 was when we declared war on a country that's now an ally. How the hell is that really relevant to this building? 1787, on the other hand, was the year the US Constitution was written and adopted. Much more relevant.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 4:54 PM

1776 is when we declared independence, or freedom. sounds relevant

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 4:56 PM
Basket Case

Also everyone knows 1776, but I'm sure not nearly as many would know the significance of 1787 without it being explained to them.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 5:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Well, clearly this building isn't actually going to be 1,776' tall.
Main Lobby is at Elv. 311'2
North Entrance is at 307'10"
Beacon is at 2087'2, 1776' above main lobby floor, but 1779'4 above north entrance.
PLUS, if you look at the top of the diagram, there's an 8' section above the beacon, making it 1787'4" tall..
I've noticed that as well, which is why the parapet height isn't exactly 1,368 ft (from the north entrance). How they'll justify the height of 1,776 ft remains to be seen, but it hasn't been built yet, so it could end up being just that. Maybe the radome only goes to 1,776 ft, its not clear to me.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 5:35 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Maybe the radome only goes to 1,776 ft, its not clear to me.
I can't agree, the diagram is pretty explicit. You can even use the section breakouts on the far left and add them up starting from the roof. Having spent the last week staring at such architectural drawings for the Empire State Building model I'm making, this is second nature for me here. The beacon is at 1776, and there's a bracket signifying 8 more feet of building. The only headscratcher for me is the element that goes above the extra 8'. Looks like a lightning rod, which is probably why it's not marked. Such things are not generally "counted" in "official" building heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXguyinOKC View Post
1776 is when we declared independence, or freedom. sounds relevant
How? Who are we declaring independence from with this building? War is an act of destruction. A constitution is part of building a country, to make it a better nation, and in this case, replace the failed Articles of Confederation. A newer, better, replacement. See any connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimumPx View Post
Also everyone knows 1776, but I'm sure not nearly as many would know the significance of 1787 without it being explained to them.
No they won't know, which is a sad state of affairs, but since they always describe the significance of the 1,776 figure, it should be pretty easy to cut and paste a new descriptor in the training manual for the tour guides.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 6:55 PM

Cool

Quote:

By Joann Gonchar, AIA

"There is no denying that One World Trade Center (WTC), the 104-story tower now rising at the northern end of the Ground Zero site, is a tremendously ambitious commercial real estate venture..."

Although the article title suggests otherwise, it says pretty much nothing about any controversy.

Interesting description of the new base, however:

"However, after discovering that tempering caused the panels to bow, interfering with the laminating process, the project team devised another solution. The alternate, which sources describe as glass fins projecting from the facade at various angles, is now in the bidding phase but has yet to be finalized."

Lots of construction and structural details I really haven't seen anywhere else, including this and other detailed drawings:
The drawing is from SOM but I got it off of Architecture Record's website, same link as above.
Wow the antenna/spire is going to be huge! It is a mini-skyscraper in its own right! If you recall the old Twin Towers, the North Tower had the antenna and the roof was used for communications/satellites. It was off-limits to the general public. The old South Tower roof was where they had the old public outdoor observation deck. The main reason the new 1 WTC will not have the outdoor deck is because of the antenna and it wouldnt be feasible because of the equipment on the roof. I hope they could find a way around this in the future perhaps, and add an outdoor one down the road, if I visit one day

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 7:16 PM

The best location for an outdoor observation deck might be on top of Tower 3, think about it... WTC 1 has the spire and the lights taking up space, so no room for too many people, plus safety concerns. Tower 2 has no roof in the conventional sense and Tower 4 is the shortest of the bunch. Tower 3 would be perfect, central to the entire World Trade Center complex, surrounded by all the other buildings, you would truly feel a part of the whole experience. This could be an alternative addition to the indoor observation deck in Tower 1. Now if they just build Tower 3 to it's full planned height.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 7:17 PM
Sleep is for quitters

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 7:23 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Wow the antenna/spire is going to be huge! It is a mini-skyscraper in its own right! If you recall the old Twin Towers, the North Tower had the antenna and the roof was used for communications/satellites. It was off-limits to the general public. The old South Tower roof was where they had the old public outdoor observation deck. The main reason the new 1 WTC will not have the outdoor deck is because of the antenna and it wouldnt be feasible because of the equipment on the roof. I hope they could find a way around this in the future perhaps, and add an outdoor one down the road, if I visit one day
I guess they COULD have had an outdoor observation deck on 2 WTC, and it would have been interesting watching people slide down the slope

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac78130 View Post
WTC Vid
The WTC stuff they have been showing on Discovery has really been awesome. It's wonderful to see all the behind the scenes stuff that goes on in building the center and memorial.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallFan View Post
The best location for an outdoor observation deck might be on top of Tower 3, think about it... WTC 1 has the spire and the lights taking up space, so no room for too many people, plus safety concerns. Tower 2 has no roof in the conventional sense and Tower 4 is the shortest of the bunch. Tower 3 would be perfect, central to the entire World Trade Center complex, surrounded by all the other buildings, you would truly feel a part of the whole experience. This could be an alternative addition to the indoor observation deck in Tower 1. Now if they just build Tower 3 to it's full planned height.

Good points. at least Tower 1 will have an indoor that should offer people some great views. Hopefully it will become as big of a tourist stop as the old "Top of the World" deck was! Especially with the 9/11 memorial a few feet away and all....I still think that they should build another tower identical to WTC 1 right beside it as a tribute...I like the WTC 1 design I find it inspirational. Not crazy about the other Towers designs though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive