HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 6:41 PM

Why wouldn't they upgrade the existing rail right-of-way on the CN line that Metra uses to get there? Add some dedicated tracks and grade-separate the level junctions with the other Class 1 tracks.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 7:19 PM
TL;DR

There are several options. The schedule assumes a 10 minute travel time, which requires an average speed of 90mph. You can't do that in an urban area without full grade separation and wide curves; some routings would be easier to upgrade than others.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 9:24 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
There are several options. The schedule assumes a 10 minute travel time, which requires an average speed of 90mph. You can't do that in an urban area without full grade separation and wide curves; some routings would be easier to upgrade than others.
I've never understood why they can't just use the digging stuff they used for the Deep Tunnel and build an underground HSR link between the Loop and O'Hare, then rising to the surface pointed toward Milwaukee. The Deep Tunnel was relatively cheap, and while a train version of it would need more ventilation and some tracks, it seems like based on the cost of the Deep Tunnel, it wouldn't be any more expensive than tearing up urban fabric and planning for weather.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 10:15 PM
TL;DR

There's also the need for emergency exits and dewatering. Ultimately it will be much more economical to upgrade existing rights-of-way, especially since we have so many of them. We're also fortunate (ish) that many rail corridors run through industrial areas where expansion will not impact residences.

A lot of the cost of subways is tied up in stations, it's true, but remember that an HSR line would have far lower usage than an urban subway line, so the cost of tunnelling per new rider is similar.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 3:31 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Well I would think that if upgraded tracks were in order then it would be an obvious solution for the downtown to airport express service to use those same upgraded tracks for a truly fast airport express service.

I'm thinking any future airport express service would still be used as an addition to such HSR through routes to O'Hare. Even though this would duplicate and pilfer service from the other in such a scenario.

For airport express service to be worthwhile you need it at least every half hour (if not 15or 20 minutes). The HSR Trains will not be having those type of headways for much of the day I'm sure.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Nov 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 8:36 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Well I would that if upgraded tracks were in order then it would be an obvious solution for the downtown to airport express service to use those same upgraded tracks for a truly fast airport express service.

I'm thinking any future airport express service would still be used as an addition to such HSR through routes to O'Hare. Even though this would duplicate and pilfer service from the other in such a scenario.

For airport express service to be worthwhile you need it at least every half hour (if not 15or 20 minutes). The HSR Trains will not be having those type of headways for much of the day I'm sure.
Triple tracking the at grade and above grade sections of the blue line should allow express train services, and trains approaching 60 mph could reach O'Hare in less than a half hour. I don't think triple tracking the below grade sections would be worth the extra expense to gain a few more minutes

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 4:15 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Triple tracking the at grade and above grade sections of the blue line should allow express train services, and trains approaching 60 mph could reach O'Hare in less than a half hour. I don't think triple tracking the below grade sections would be worth the extra expense to gain a few more minutes
Others would know far better then I but I don't think the Blue Line tracks even with extensive upgrades will never be a near ideal to run express airport service on. The mere idea of it was a boneheaded legacy of monumental proportions only exceeded by the parking meter boondoggle.

And if one did end up upgrading current freight/Metra track to HSR anyway why wouldn't one just use that same track to run a separate airport express service on as well?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 12:03 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

The Michigan dailies had a rather detailed article on the major change scheduled for the financial structure of the Michigan Services. For years, Michigan has subsidized the less heavily traveled Blue Water and Pere Marquette services, but Amtrak funded the Wolverine's losses. But, because of a deal struck in Congress five years ago that just went into effect for this fiscal year - I'm guessing because the Northeast services felt their money was going to subsidize services outside their region - Michigan will now have to subsidize the Wolverine, themselves. This means going from a total subsidy for the Michigan Services of $8 million in the previous fiscal year, to $25 million, this fiscal year.

The official line is that this is because Amtrak has sunk a lot of capital into services and line, and they've become more popular, but they certainly aren't popular enough yet, obviously. But, what is done is done. Now, $25 million isn't that much money in the grand scheme of things, but with the political environment we're in both nationally and at the state level in Michigan, I could totally see the state legislators very soon saying "eff it" and simply denying funding for the subsidies. With them in pretty open revolt against Snyder after he forced through the Medicaid expansion, I'm really nervous about the future of the Michigan Services.

Speaking of the services, after a pretty significant delay, my region's redone Amtrak station will finally start prep work by the end of the year. What I'm most excited about for this project is that since it sits at a rail intersection, they've designed it so that a platform can be set up along the CSX tracks on the south side of the station for the possibility of regional rail service to Detroit or Grand Rapids if anyone can ever pull that off.

Quote:
East Lansing Amtrak station project to start this year

By Lindsay VanHulle | Lansing State Journal

October 5, 2013

EAST LANSING — Train travelers through East Lansing, take note: The region’s aging Amtrak station is coming down.

The station likely will be torn down before the end of the year. By early 2015, a new transportation station is expected to open in its place at the roughly 9-acre site near Harrison and Trowbridge roads that will make it easier for passengers to get in and out of the city by train, bus or taxi.

A $10.5 million project to upgrade the station, first announced a year ago, is moving forward after the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Transit Administration released $6.3 million in grant money to help fund the effort. The grant was held up while project coordinators, led by the Capital Area Transportation Authority, finished environmental documents and an appraisal.

CATA hasn’t set a start date, but said the existing station is expected to be demolished before the new year. Construction could start in the spring. The building’s design is about half finished, said Debbie Alexander, CATA’s assistant executive director. She initially thought the project could be completed this year, but it was postponed due to a delay in releasing grant funds.

I've seen a prelim site plan, and it's pretty underwhelming. Because of where the station is located, unless your an MSU student, it's basically going to be a giant park-and-ride, since it's only directly on a university-based bus line (as opposed to the Lansing CATA hub). But it'll be better than the embarrassment of a thing that passes for a station, now (i.e. literally an old, redone storage building for the university).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 12:00 PM

A project to wrap up the year for the Michigan Services:

Quote:

Amtrak passengers board the train in East Lansing on Sept. 9, 2013. Amtrak and the state of Michigan plan to invest millions of dollars over the coming years to improve service on the state's three passenger train lines, resulting in quicker trips and more amenities for travelers. Greg DeRuiter | Lansing State Journal/AP

Amtrak to start 3rd phase of track improvements

Associated Press

October 9, 2013

JACKSON — Amtrak is getting ready to start the final of three Michigan train track improvement phases for the 2013 construction season.

Work is scheduled to begin Monday between Jackson and Kalamazoo. It’s expected to cause some delays and modified weekday schedules. Work will largely take place Mondays through Thursdays, with tracks open for all trains on regular schedules on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

The overall 30-mile project this year is to upgrade tracks and bring more reliable service.

The Michigan Department of Transportation is leading a three-state effort to improve the 300-mile corridor from Pontiac and Detroit across Michigan, through northwest Indiana and to Chicago. Train speeds will increase to up to 110 miles per hour in more places.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 12:18 AM
TL;DR

Illinois just started the final phase of upgrades for 2013 too. IDOT's been coy for awhile, but now they're saying we will see 110mph service between Pontiac and Alton by 2015, after track upgrades and a few sidings are built. That will significantly cut the travel times, although another huge chunk of time savings won't come until IDOT makes the reroute onto the Rock Island through Chicagoland.

This may be one of the most lo-fi renders I've ever seen...
East Lansing Amtrak

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 8:05 AM

That was a quick mock-up/placeholder of the East Lansing station before they had even hired an architect; it's why I hadn't even bothered posting it in the past.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 2:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

Thank god. I was beginning to lose faith in humanity with that rendering.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 7:38 AM
TL;DR

The huge Dan Ryan bridge spans will be installed for the Englewood Flyover Oct. 14-Nov. 5.

Good to see more progress on this one. Most of the bridge segments are already in place (box girders!) and retaining wall work is coming along. Seems like only another 6 months of work.

August video (not mine)

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Thank god. I was beginning to lose faith in humanity with that rendering.
You want to know the crazy thing? For as much as that placeholder rendering looks like some non-descript suburban office building, it'd actually be an improvment over what current serves as the station:

Shadowlink1014

This thing was literally built as a storage shack for Michigan State University, and it serves as a station for 66,000 passengers per year. They didn't even bother tacking on a canopies for either the train platform or the bus depot.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The huge Dan Ryan bridge spans will be installed for the Englewood Flyover Oct. 14-Nov. 5.

Good to see more progress on this one. Most of the bridge segments are already in place (box girders!) and retaining wall work is coming along. Seems like only another 6 months of work.

August video (not mine)
The same user posted a new one last week:

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
You want to know the crazy thing? For as much as that placeholder rendering looks like some non-descript suburban office building, it'd actually be an improvment over what current serves as the station:

This thing was literally built as a storage shack for Michigan State University, and it serves as a station for 66,000 passengers per year. They didn't even bother tacking on a canopies for either the train platform or the bus depot.
Is there a reason why the Grand Trunk Western Depot in Lansing was never used for Amtrak?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan.jam View Post
Is there a reason why the Grand Trunk Western Depot in Lansing was never used for Amtrak?
I can only imagine because they deemed it too much to fix back up. Amtrak started out on crumbs when it was created, so they seem to have literally gone with the least amount of enclosed square footage as possible. And, a year after Amtrak took the depot out of service, it had been converted to a restaurant...which, itself, eventually went belly up.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 9:28 AM
TL;DR

I'm guessing they haven't considered re-using the depot in recent years because it's not convenient to MSU. The recent renovation looks great, but it would now be difficult to reuse as a station, with limited land available for parking or bus transfers.

LMich, you also mentioned the MSU site is also well-suited for rail transfers in the future. Pity the site is not better-integrated into local transit.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 2:23 PM

The current station and the GTW depot are literally right off the freeway. You could have literally run an express CATA bus from campus up Trowbridge, which is basically a freeway ramp, up the Olds Freeway and to the GTW depot, downtown. And, people not coming from the university would have had a giant parking lot at the time for long-term parking. But, again, that would have meant them buying the property and fixing up the depot, and if they ever had the money, the depot had already been turned into a restaurant.

And, yeah, it's nearly impossible to use it for a station, now. It was renovated by the local power and water utility as their conference room and meeting space for the surrounding neighborhood association.

BTW, I think it'd probably be more accurate to say that the central problem with the current location is its pedestrian unfriendliness. Transit-wise, it's served pretty well by the local bus service, and served by automobile almost directly off the freeway. The only other location along the line that would have been better would have been...the GTW depot.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 10:03 AM

Regarding the HSR alignment mentioned above between Union Station and ORD, would it use the HSR portal/alignment at K Station, or must that be used for a future West Loop Transportation Center (ie., working with a Clinton alignment) ?

What I'm really wondering is the possibility of a secondary station at near north, because taxi and other street traffic could make road access to, and around, Union Station a bit of a cluster*k.

Since we're talking about loads of people with luggage and other valuables, there realistically will be a massive amount of kiss 'n fly or other vehicular greeters for riders on the ORD HSR route. Having a spacious area with many surface routes in and out could be extremely beneficial. Something along the Kinzie corridor could work extremely well, since there is much undeveloped land there. If the City could today nab a couple of empty blocks between Kinzie and Carroll, it could prove very prescient. Depending on the exact location, maybe a weather-protected connection to the Blue Line would be possible too. Also, it could synergize with the real estate and culinary boom currently following Fulton and Randolph westwards.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation