HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:44 PM

I thought there were still some grants and financial aid and stuff, but I could be wrong.

In any case, they basically need to reconstruct the whole facade, including the neo-gothic pilasters, so I bet that'd exceed the city's financial contribution. Though it wasn't the most complicated or detailed facade--mainly it was just the massing and symmetry. When/if it is restored, they really ought to get rid of all the brick around the entryway and install some nicer windows.

Also, it's recessed from the street, but the entrance to the wine bar on the first floor is really nice, and the interior is fantastic.

(Yes, I'm a nerd and I like this building, a lot. Want to see it fixed.)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
If you're talking about the incentives (tax breaks etc.) tied only to Barrington St., in place through HRMbyDesign, but developed through the process that was used to create the heritage conservation district, I think that program is over now... my impression is that staff is recommending it not be renewed.
WTF? why would they not recommend renewing? Such typical HRM idiocy.

I feel like we waiting 20 effing years for this stupid fund, and then when it finally comes, it's in place for like 4 years, and what developments are going to happen in a short timeframe like that?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
WTF? why would they not recommend renewing? Such typical HRM idiocy.

I feel like we waiting 20 effing years for this stupid fund, and then when it finally comes, it's in place for like 4 years, and what developments are going to happen in a short timeframe like that?
They claim it was only intended to jump start activity on Barrington. I say, extend it until there are new districts that could use it. If not for heritage reasons, than for compensating for the artificially lowered prices for building in the 'burbs.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 1:51 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
They claim it was only intended to jump start activity on Barrington.
This seems like a pedantic, bureaucratic perspective from HRM staff; don't continue until the problem is solved, just make sure that arbitrary conditions set years ago are technically satisfied.

There's still a good argument to be made that the street needs this program. NFB is a prime example. The impact this program has had is also pretty impressive, given its budget in the millions of dollars rather than the tens or hundreds of millions. It seems obviously worth it to keep going until Barrington is a really great street and a prime location for businesses, tourism, etc. The city should view the heritage buildings there as an enormous asset that should be capitalized on. Of course, I am probably preaching to the choir here.

All that aside, has there been any progress on 1592 Barrington, Espace, or (if we want to go a little farther afield) Keith Hall?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:55 AM

I'm not in favor of that building being redeveloped anytime soon, Venus Envy and the Wine bar next to it are two of the largest community draws to the area and having to evict them before adequate new space is available is a huge mistake

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 6:48 PM

Wrong thread...

Last edited by kph06; Mar 16, 2014 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 6:54 PM

Off to a blistering pace.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 12:05 AM

Starfish halted work on this for the winter months. Should resume soon though.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This seems like a pedantic, bureaucratic perspective from HRM staff; don't continue until the problem is solved, just make sure that arbitrary conditions set years ago are technically satisfied.

There's still a good argument to be made that the street needs this program. NFB is a prime example. The impact this program has had is also pretty impressive, given its budget in the millions of dollars rather than the tens or hundreds of millions. It seems obviously worth it to keep going until Barrington is a really great street and a prime location for businesses, tourism, etc. The city should view the heritage buildings there as an enormous asset that should be capitalized on. Of course, I am probably preaching to the choir here.

All that aside, has there been any progress on 1592 Barrington, Espace, or (if we want to go a little farther afield) Keith Hall?
So shocked and surprised that HRM staff would take a dumb technocratic view of something concerning downtown!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 12:55 AM
opinionated so and so

Program has not been renewed or NOT renewed but my expectation is that the remaining money in the reserve will be held over for 2 years until a new HCD program that would then include Barrington South, Schmidtville and Historic Properties would get launched.

The Barrington program was not well designed to start with... it needs an overhaul to make it simpler... I'd prefer to go with rebates on the tax lift after renovation myself but I am not sure the Charter allows that.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 1:05 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
The Barrington program was not well designed to start with... it needs an overhaul to make it simpler... I'd prefer to go with rebates on the tax lift after renovation myself but I am not sure the Charter allows that.
I seem to recall that the original program was discussed for years before it was implemented, and that a number of projects were delayed as a result since developers didn't want to build if they could wait a year or two and then get extra rebates. It's hard to say but I can imagine uncertainty over possible future funding being worse than no funding at all.

We could see a repeat of this if projects like NFB are put on hold until a similar program is put in place again. NFB is the sort of building that looks awful and will continue to drag down the whole street while it's in its current state.

The Keith/Green Lantern building is another one where it seems like there's a lot of talk but nothing ever happens. For a while people were saying it was held up by insurance claims after Hurricane Juan, but that was over a decade ago.

Quote:
my expectation is that the remaining money in the reserve will be held over for 2 years until a new HCD program that would then include Barrington South, Schmidtville and Historic Properties would get launched.
This would be nice but it would also need to be adequately funded to make a difference to all of these areas without starving projects along Barrington. I think the Falkland/Maynard area should become a historic district too.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I seem to recall that the original program was discussed for years before it was implemented, and that a number of projects were delayed as a result since developers didn't want to build if they could wait a year or two and then get extra rebates. It's hard to say but I can imagine uncertainty over possible future funding being worse than no funding at all.

We could see a repeat of this if projects like NFB are put on hold until a similar program is put in place again. NFB is the sort of building that looks awful and will continue to drag down the whole street while it's in its current state.

The Keith/Green Lantern building is another one where it seems like there's a lot of talk but nothing ever happens. For a while people were saying it was held up by insurance claims after Hurricane Juan, but that was over a decade ago.

This would be nice but it would also need to be adequately funded to make a difference to all of these areas without starving projects along Barrington. I think the Falkland/Maynard area should become a historic district too.
This is one of the worst things about HRM. Things are "talked about", or plans or resolutions passed, and then no action taken for years and years, with no clue about the impact such carrot dangling + inaction has on development / planning. I mean, that's something Staff should be tracking as they're the ones required to ensure institutional continuity through different sets of Councillors, but it's obviously not happening in this case.

This needs to be decided before existing fund expires. Otherwise, we'll see more developments gathering dust on shelves waiting another decade for HRM investment that never comes. Meanwhile, HRM spills tens of millions more on over-budget overpasses, big box retail parks, and road networks in the suburbs.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:08 PM
armchairitect

looks Like Construction has restarted now that the hole has unfrozen. It appears they have put some gravel down and are prepping to pour the floor Slabs.

Also means time for another Construction Progress Tumblelog. Follow the progress at http://cdplus.tumblr.com/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 5:39 PM
armchairitect

Basement floor was poured Today; from http://cdplus.tumblr.com/

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 1:01 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
This is one of the worst things about HRM. Things are "talked about", or plans or resolutions passed, and then no action taken for years and years, with no clue about the impact such carrot dangling + inaction has on development / planning. I mean, that's something Staff should be tracking as they're the ones required to ensure institutional continuity through different sets of Councillors, but it's obviously not happening in this case.

This needs to be decided before existing fund expires. Otherwise, we'll see more developments gathering dust on shelves waiting another decade for HRM investment that never comes. Meanwhile, HRM spills tens of millions more on over-budget overpasses, big box retail parks, and road networks in the suburbs.
Just to be clear - the report is coming to council in 4-6 weeks. This isn't that.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 3:14 PM

Starting above grade work today.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 12:11 PM
armchairitect

They adjusted the lines on Barrington last night, and Added Concrete barriers. will make photos a bit more of a pain, since I cant press up to the fence now.

Via http://cdplus.tumblr.com/

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 4:47 PM

Man, the Venus Envy building looks horrible.

Almost looks like someone peel off its face, leaving stucco underneath. Ugly.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 1:47 PM

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 2:18 PM

This one is going to be done in no time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth