HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 5:38 PM

If only that concept was applied to everything in the world...

But anyway, it's coming along beautifully.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 8:24 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one and only View Post
its going to be a long time before Burj Dubai looses its title of tallest everything lol
You know what's awesome about that? I feel like this tower could be the Empire State Building of the 21st Century. It reached unimaginable heights at the time of completion (like the ESB), was built on a whim and completed during an economic downturn (like the ESB), was part of an historic building boom in the life of its city (like the ESB), and will undoubtedly be the tallest building in the world for many years to come (the ESB was the tallest building in the world for an unprecedented-by-comparison 41 years). Let's see if it also becomes an enduring world landmark and a symbol of the city it belongs to now and far into the future (like the ESB).

It even makes you wonder if Dubai will be the New York of the 21st Century. Ahhh well...only time will tell.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 1:21 PM

^^ Does that mean Burj Dubai will stand empty for a few decades before turning a profit?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 1:59 PM
Dubai

29/October/2009

Burj Dubai from the beach

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 2:08 PM
Dubai

29/October/2009

Burj Dubai , reflection and Teddy

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 3:08 PM
Dubai

29/October/2009

Burj Dubai

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 5:36 PM
Dubai

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 5:48 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Man, I love those last pictures! You can really tell that it's the tallest thing ever made by man in these shots. I loved them so much that I decided to do a comparison of the BD next to the ESB. Okay, so it's not the best comparison, but I tried. I got the heights from the Diagram section.

But even if it's wrong just look at it! Can you imagine this in NY or Chicago (and please dont reply if you're gonna say things like, "something this ugly would never be built in blah blah! Dubai sucks! American skyscrapers!")? It would dwarf everything! I've never seen the ESB upclose so I still don't have a true sense of how tall the BD is but maybe I'll add something like the Space Needle so I can really understand it's true height. Comparing numbers is just not the same as comparing pictures.

Thanks Imre for the picture!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
You seem to have a gross misunderstanding of the difference between the natural rivers and harbors in Chicago, New York and San Francisco and the artificial decorative pond outside of Burj Dubai. . . the assumption that the use of these harbor/river systems is "waning" is absolutely false. . . and I still don't understand how you'd apply these features - as you suggest - to these other cities. . .

For perspective, a comparison of the Burj Dubai pond to the water features outside the Bellagio resort in Las Vegas would be more apt. . .

. . .
Agreed, I was in Dubai a month ago and actually got a chance to check out those 'ponds' around the Dubai mall. It was stagnant, full of green algae and garbage. Kinda gross actually. I shudder to think about how much chlorine they will have to dump into these things every day to keep them looking.... natural.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 11:30 AM
Dubai

30/October/2009

Burj Dubai

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 4:21 PM
Dubai

Burj Dubai from the Al Khail Road

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
You seem to have a gross misunderstanding of the difference between the natural rivers and harbors in Chicago, New York and San Francisco and the artificial decorative pond outside of Burj Dubai. . . the assumption that the use of these harbor/river systems is "waning" is absolutely false. . . and I still don't understand how you'd apply these features - as you suggest - to these other cities. . .

For perspective, a comparison of the Burj Dubai pond to the water features outside the Bellagio resort in Las Vegas would be more apt. . .

. . .

Woah. Okay, I think it is safe to say there is a huge difference between saying "This style of architecture and landscaping looks nice and we can incorporate some ideas into other contexts like Chicago" and "these two settings are fundamentally identical!"

I never suggested anything remotely indicating that the Chicago River and Dubai's enormous wishing pool are the same kind of water feature. I said it looked nice the way the bridges and walkways were on the same level as the water, and that other cities ought to consider doing more to integrate the water features with the fabric of the city. Specifically, I mentioned putting walkways in other cities closer to the water. However you want to take it, the idea of putting walkways closer to rivers isn't a controversial statement and doesn't convey any conceptual misunderstanding. Rather than attacking what you perceive to be my core understanding of what a river is, explain to me why you think water features like the Chicago River are totally un-approachable by bridges and walkways. Do you think there's too high a risk of floods? Do you think the Chicago River is gross and foul-smelling and nobody would want to be near it?

Here's a question I'll ask: do they still send barges down the Chicago River? Everything I read says no, but if somebody who lives in Chicago would say "yeah it's still a major shipping channel," I'll cede to that knowledge. However, I think it's pretty safe to say that the Chicago River is anything but "natural" at this point since not only has it been walled in by concrete, its flow has been completely reversed. It's a human-controlled waterway that may as well be an artificially-dug canal at this point, because it's natural function is gone. I don't see any good reason why it has to be walled off below 8 feet of concrete.

There are lots of other controlled or artificial waterways in other U.S. cities that could embrace the same principle. I know that in Denver, there are parks surrounding Cherry Creek and the Platte River with sidewalks that are on the level of the water. If the river floods, the sidewalk is submerged temporarily, later it dries, and there's no harm done.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Man, I love those last pictures! You can really tell that it's the tallest thing ever made by man in these shots. I loved them so much that I decided to do a comparison of the BD next to the ESB. Okay, so it's not the best comparison, but I tried. I got the heights from the Diagram section.

But even if it's wrong just look at it! Can you imagine this in NY or Chicago (and please dont reply if you're gonna say things like, "something this ugly would never be built in blah blah! Dubai sucks! American skyscrapers!")? It would dwarf everything! I've never seen the ESB upclose so I still don't have a true sense of how tall the BD is but maybe I'll add something like the Space Needle so I can really understand it's true height. Comparing numbers is just not the same as comparing pictures.

In 100 years I'd anticipate skyscrapers like this all over NYC and Chicago. Maybe in 50, 30....

I'm actually sort of surprised that U.S. cities have stuck to relatively few supertall skyscrapers when you consider economic capabilities those cities have. You'd think guys like Donald Trump would be seething to build the next Burj Dubai.

I honestly don't see what Burj detractors are talking about saying it's ugly. It looks fine to me, the worst thing about it being that it is so monolithic with no companion skyscrapers that most cities have. I'd only hope that if something like it went up in the U.S., that they'd step down the scale to keep it in proportion; nobody should build a skyscraper that is more than 20% taller than the next tallest skyscraper in a city.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 9:19 PM
Mile High City

I think I can see this building all the way from Denver.

Those last few shots and vids from the far off horizon really are spectacular.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 9:35 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzuti View Post
Rather than attacking what you perceive to be my core understanding of what a river is, explain to me why you think water features like the Chicago River are totally un-approachable by bridges and walkways. Do you think there's too high a risk of floods? Do you think the Chicago River is gross and foul-smelling and nobody would want to be near it?

Here's a question I'll ask: do they still send barges down the Chicago River? Everything I read says no, but if somebody who lives in Chicago would say "yeah it's still a major shipping channel," I'll cede to that knowledge. However, I think it's pretty safe to say that the Chicago River is anything but "natural" at this point since not only has it been walled in by concrete, its flow has been completely reversed. It's a human-controlled waterway that may as well be an artificially-dug canal at this point, because it's natural function is gone. I don't see any good reason why it has to be walled off below 8 feet of concrete.

There are lots of other controlled or artificial waterways in other U.S. cities that could embrace the same principle. I know that in Denver, there are parks surrounding Cherry Creek and the Platte River with sidewalks that are on the level of the water. If the river floods, the sidewalk is submerged temporarily, later it dries, and there's no harm done.
Well the Chicago River is accessible at Michigan Ave and South Wacker (one place I can think of) for dinner cruises, architecture boat tours, etc and there are many restaurants and apartments directly on it, so your notion of a 'gross' river is kind of outdated. No the city doesn't use it much for industrial purposes, like most American cities Chicago commerce based now. The River isn't disgusting but it is in a very urban setting so no, I wouldn't want to get in it. There is also a nice lake...

Anyways this is besides the point. Burj looks good. very shiny.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 12:13 AM
Vamotabbe Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post

That's what I call a real Skyscraper.

Just look at it, that height isn't even normal anymore.

ESB is TRULY nothing compared with Burj.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Skyline View Post
That's what I call a real Skyscraper.

Just look at it, that height isn't even normal anymore.

ESB is TRULY nothing compared with Burj.
Maybe in terms of height, but ESB is still superior in terms of overall architectural quality. Not saying I don't like Burj's architecture, I just happen to like ESB more. Both buildings were monolithic as of the time of their construction, so maybe 75 years down the road Burj will be to people of the future what the ESB is today.

Personally I'm thinking within the next few years somebody in T.O. is gonna grow a pair of nuts and decide to try to beat this thing to become #1 again.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 3:55 AM
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
You know what's awesome about that? I feel like this tower could be the Empire State Building of the 21st Century. It reached unimaginable heights at the time of completion (like the ESB), was built on a whim and completed during an economic downturn (like the ESB), was part of an historic building boom in the life of its city (like the ESB), and will undoubtedly be the tallest building in the world for many years to come (the ESB was the tallest building in the world for an unprecedented-by-comparison 41 years). Let's see if it also becomes an enduring world landmark and a symbol of the city it belongs to now and far into the future (like the ESB).

It even makes you wonder if Dubai will be the New York of the 21st Century. Ahhh well...only time will tell.
This is one of the best posts I've seen on this forum.

I've been avoiding this forum for a long while now because of all the negativity regarding the Burj. It seemed every time I would come here someone would post crap because they couldn't get over the WTS isn't in North America.

I've noticed in the last months the posts here are much more positive. There will always be some naysyaers on any forum but I think I will come here and post more often now.

I like it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzuti View Post
Woah. Okay, I think it is safe to say there is a huge difference between saying "This style of architecture and landscaping looks nice and we can incorporate some ideas into other contexts like Chicago" and "these two settings are fundamentally identical!"
I sent you a PM. . .

. . .

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 5:24 AM
Just add water

Last edited by Desert Diver; Nov 1, 2009 at 7:02 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive