HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 6:05 PM

Had no idea Canada plays seven exhibition games before the WC. That kinda sounds ludicrous. If I were one of those top guys making millions I would have my reservations about flying into TO Aug. 4th for camp, playing seven games in TO, WPG and Australia then playing in China starting Aug. 31st and lasting to Sep. 15th if you make the final. All for a tournament almost no one cares about.

That's a major commitment during your off-season. Be away from your family for six weeks.

And seven exhibition games? I know the coach needs to figure out lineups but damn that's playing with fire when it comes to injuries. Kyle Wiltjer now picked up a twisted ankle. Wasn't too bad but anytime you go up for a rebound and you're coming down in the vicinity of other guys' feet there's always the chance of an ankle injury. Just gotta hope it's not a ligament tear.

A half comparison I can make is that Rafa and Bianca just won the Canadian Open (Masters series event). Pulled in $1mil and $500k. They both just pulled out of next week's tournament to rest and prepare for the US Open.

Both got big pay days so money is not an issue. This allows both to rest their bodies for upcoming commitments that carry way more prestige and pay way more money than the tournaments they are skipping. Tournaments that the average person does not care about.

Last edited by megadude; Aug 13, 2019 at 9:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 12:43 AM

Canada in its golden age loses to the worldwide powerhouse Nigeria with a sparse lineup. Such a waste of talent.

Its not much better in the US as far as showing up for their country.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 12:28 PM

Welcome to the world of sports, particularly Canadian sports where the soccer team loses to Haiti a couple months ago and to Martinique a few years ago. Or where the junior hockey teamloses to Kazakhstan 20 years ago or the senior team losing to Switzerland two zip in the olympics (one of many losses, ties, or close games with them).

US lost to Puerto Rico in 2004 in the olympics. This is sports.

Canada seems to underperform on the international stage a little too often in every sport but such is sports where you have diminishing returns so the higher number of pros on a team doesn’t translate to equal amount of success or winning margin.

It was an exhibition game but I wouldn’t be surprised if they lose to Senegal in the tournament.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Had no idea Canada plays seven exhibition games before the WC. That kinda sounds ludicrous. If I were one of those top guys making millions I would have my reservations about flying into TO Aug. 4th for camp, playing seven games in TO, WPG and Australia then playing in China starting Aug. 31st and lasting to Sep. 15th if you make the final. All for a tournament almost no one cares about.

That's a major commitment during your off-season. Be away from your family for six weeks.
Agreed. These kids have huge contracts at stake. Wiggins 27mill/yr, TThompson 18mill/yr. RJ going into rookie year. I dont blame them.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 11:41 PM

I wish it was like hockey where the highest paid players always show up for Canada.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 12:11 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
I wish it was like hockey where the highest paid players always show up for Canada.
It won't change till the basketball culture in this country mirrors the hockey culture. Our best hockey players want to play for Canada; they consider it a huge honour. They face the exact same issues as NBA players: risk of injury, time commitment, etc. yet they're all lined up wanting to get selected to Team Canada.

The argument that NBA players might get injured and it's a big time commitment looks really lame when our hockey players make the exact same commitment.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It won't change till the basketball culture in this country mirrors the hockey culture. Our best hockey players want to play for Canada; they consider it a huge honour. They face the exact same issues as NBA players: risk of injury, time commitment, etc. yet they're all lined up wanting to get selected to Team Canada.

The argument that NBA players might get injured and it's a big time commitment looks really lame when our hockey players make the exact same commitment.
Exactly.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 12:54 AM

Hockey is Canada's sport. The chances of ball mirroring hockey any decade soon is slim to none. The tradition and legacy of basketball is behind those of hockey, baseball, football, curling and some other winter sports.

It will become more ingrained as it is becoming more popular but that will take decades.

Olympics is a different thing to the FIBA WC as that holds some weight. Will be interesting to see if more guys will sacrifice their time for that and if Basketball Canada will welcome with open arms the guys who skipped out this time. At this point they basically have no choice considering how depleted the pool is now.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:00 AM

I'm willing to bet that he could have played by next week since he's a tough Canadian kid. And I'm also willing to bet his agent said nah, not a good idea.

Must be unpatriotic.

Quote:
Report: Olynyk (knee) to miss FIBA World Cup

Kelly Olynyk's knee injury means he will be unable to compete for Canada at the FIBA World Cup, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The Canadian suffered the injury in the team's opening exhibition game when he slipped and fell hard on his knee.

Wojnarowski noted that although Olynyk will miss the FIBA World Cup, it is expected that he will be ready to go for the start of the NBA season in October.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:04 AM

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that he could have played by next week since he's a tough Canadian kid. And I'm also willing to bet his agent said nah, not a good idea.

Must be unpatriotic.
Yup heard this news today and thought of this thread lol.
And see? You can get injured and still make it back for the regular season no problem.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 10:53 PM

Another nice Canada Australia comparison. Their top nba players making millions are sitting outfor a country that doesn’t have a strong basketball tradition yet.

Not sure who there guys are for Spain that are missing.

Quote:
Ben Simmons – the Philadelphia 76er star and Australia’s best player – isn’t playing this summer and is catching heat for it at home. Australia – who Canada plays in its first game of the tournament – is also without Thon Maker and Dante Exum. Spain is without some of its top names.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 7:32 PM

Canada beats the AUS team on their soil. Pretty big win and hopefully confidence boost as they will meet again in the World Cup.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 7:41 PM

Minus NBA stars, Canada routs Australia in FIBA friendly
Kevin Pangos leads the way with 18 points
The Associated Press August 16, 2019

Canada never trailed and outscored Australia 23-13 in the final quarter for a 90-70 win over the home side in a FIBA World Cup warmup basketball game Friday.

The Canadians led 51-36 early in the third quarter but Australia rallied to draw level before the visitors dominated the final period for an easy win. The teams meet again on Saturday night at the same stadium in Perth.

"It's nice to see our guys play pretty good team basketball since we haven't been together very long," head coach Nick Nurse said after the victory.

Australia plays Canada in their first game of the World Cup on Sept. 1 in China.

Canada goes into the World Cup without most of their NBA stars. Miami Heat's Kelly Olynyk became the latest big-name player to pull out after sustaining a knee injury. He joined Andrew Wiggins, Jamal Murray, R.J. Barrett, Tristan Thompson, Dwight Powell, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Chris Boucher and Nickeil Alexander-Walker as other top Canadian NBA players to miss the World Cup.

Kevin Pangos of Newmarket, Ont., scored 18 points for Canada, which is being coached by Toronto Raptors coach Nick Nurse, who led the team to the NBA championship this season. Andrew Nembhard of Aurora, Ont., added 12 points and was among five players to hit double figures for Canada.

"A group like this, when we're playing hard like that, it makes up for a lot of mistakes," Pangos said. "That's what Coach [Nurse] has been preaching a lot. Play hard and aggressive. Play with confidence. I think we did a good job of that tonight. There's definitely room for growth and that's a positive."

Sacramento Kings point guard Cory Joseph of Toronto was not in the lineup for Canada.

Patty Mills led Australia with 20 points.

Canada stays in Australia to face New Zealand in a pair of exhibition games Aug. 20-21 before wrapping up its pre-tournament schedule against the United States on Aug. 26

Australia hosts the Americans in Melbourne on Aug. 22 and Aug. 24.

"Chemistry is an elusive thing," Nurse said. "I'm happy we've been able to get some. Most of these guys have played [together] in some form or window or national team basketball together, so there is some more history than just the 10 days, but I'm new so I'm still trying to learn them and they're trying to learn me a little bit so it was nice to have a good chemistry at both ends."

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Their top nba players making millions are sitting outfor a country that doesn’t have a strong basketball tradition yet.
Not sure what that means. I remember watching Australia in 1976 and wondering if Canada could beat them. That's when Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union were powerhouses and Canada (under the legend Jack Donohue) finished fourth. Australia also had the top scorer at those Olympics, a guy by the name of Ed Palubinskas, a name you don't easily forget.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 8:01 PM

Blast from the past. Road to the 1976 Olympics. Canada plays the Soviet Union at MLG, the same Soviet team that controversially beat the US Olympic team in 1972 to win the gold.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 8:27 PM

Canada vs Australia (Full Game, Australian Broadcast) via CBC
or here

Man, I'm old, I remember the Australian commentators Andrew Gaze and Shane Heal from when they played They just predicted: "I have some significant fears for what's going to happen to Canada tonight" "16+ for Australia" "They have the edge at every position"

Where's Nelson from the Simpsons when you need him? Found him!

Last edited by elly63; Aug 16, 2019 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Not sure what that means. I remember watching Australia in 1976 and wondering if Canada could beat them. That's when Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union were powerhouses and Canada (under the legend Jack Donohue) finished fourth. Australia also had the top scorer at those Olympics, a guy by the name of Ed Palubinskas, a name you don't easily forget.
It means their top players are also sitting out. And nobody thinks basketball when talking about Australian team sports. They think afl, rugby and cricket. If basketball was a major part of their sporting landscape then the top players would quite possibly be more inclined to show up.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 11:16 PM

I deleted a post here earlier so I might as well use up the space. I know I should have posted my prediction for the second Australian game because it seemed to come to fruition.

Watching the first game it seemed like Canada exceeded their potential and Australia didn't come close to their potential. That's not to say Australia is better but that's how the game played out. I was also going to post that for the second game Khem Birch would be the best Canadian player because he couldn't make a shot in the first game, he had to get better. Melvin Ejim didn't play in the first game and Pangos who was Canada's best player didn't play in the second game. I wonder if Nurse is resting and checking out players because Pangos is by far Canada's steadiest player and he and Melvin Ejim would likely be starters for all the games going forward.

Last edited by elly63; Aug 17, 2019 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 2:27 PM

Canada loses to Australia in second FIBA World Cup tuneup
Canadian Press August 17, 2019

PERTH, Australia — Canada’s men’s basketball team dropped an 81-73 decision to Australia in the second World Cup tuneup meeting between the two teams Saturday.

Orlando Magic forward Khem Birch scored 18 points to lead the Canadians, while Oshae Brissett had 14 points and Kaza Kajami-Keane scored 11. Melvin Ejim had nine points and a team-high seven rebounds.

Jock Landale led the Australian Boomers with 13 points while Jonah Bolden had 12.

The Canadians trounced Australia 90-70 in the opening game of the exhibition series on Friday.

The Canadians led by as many as nine points in the third quarter Saturday, but trailed 60-59 heading into the fourth. Then they went ice cold, going 2-for-10 from the field in the early minutes as Australia went up by nine.

Canada pulled to within three with 3:30 to play on six straight points from Birch, but that was as close as the Canadians would come down the stretch.

Barcelona guard Kevin Pangos sat out Saturday’s game.

Canada tips off the World Cup against Australia on Sept. 1 in China.

Canada goes into the World Cup without most of their NBA stars. Miami Heat’s Kelly Olynyk became the latest big-name player to pull out after sustaining a knee injury. He joined Andrew Wiggins, Jamal Murray, R.J. Barrett, Tristan Thompson, Dwight Powell, and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander as other top Canadian NBA players to miss the World Cup.

Sacramento Kings point guard Cory Joseph isn’t in Australia, but could rejoin the team for the World Cup.

The Canadians will play New Zealand in a pair of exhibition games on Tuesday and Wednesday before wrapping up its pre-tournament schedule against the United States on Aug. 26

The Australian Boomers host the Americans in a pair of games next week.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 9:06 PM

Just love watching this scrappy little team. They start the game with a 10 point run, proceed to go ice cold and blow the lead, and I'm expecting Nurse to call a timeout to right the ship. He didn't call a timeout and they then proceeded to go on a 20 point run.

I just finished watching the first quarter, they have a 19 point lead and Aaron Best, who it says below, scored 20 hasn't even appeared yet.

Canada's basketball team routs New Zealand in FIBA friendly
Aaron Best scores 20 points in Australia
The Canadian Press August 20, 2019

Aaron Best scored 20 points while Andrew Nembhard added 17 as Canada's men's basketball team trounced the New Zealand Tall Blacks 122-88 in a pre-FIBA World Cup exhibition game Tuesday.

Six Canadians scored in double figures. Oshae Brissett had 16 points and seven rebounds, Owen Klassen chipped in 12 points, Kevin Pangos had 10 points, six rebounds and six assists, and Duane Notice finished with 10 points.

The Canadians split a pair of friendlies last week with Australia, a team they'll face in their opening round of the World Cup on Sept. 1.

"Coach preaches every day, making the right passes, playing as a team," Nembhard said. "We're working on us every day out here. We're trying to get better every day and improve on what we did the day before."

Canada set a blistering pace, opening with a 10-0 run and scoring seven three-pointers in the first quarter to take a 35-17 lead into the second. They had a 20-0 first-half run, and led 61-37 at halftime. Canada took a 92-63 lead into the fourth quarter.

"It was a great team effort," Best said. "Guys were sharing the ball, we were getting up and down and getting after it on defence. We stuck to the game plan and we were able to come up with a win."

Best shot 5-for-9 from the floor on Tuesday, including 4-for-8 from beyond the arc and 6-for-7 from the free-throw line.

"Any time you play sports, the highest honour is to be able to represent your country and I'm blessed to be able to do it so far from home in beautiful Australia," Best said. "I'm just soaking it all up."

Kaza Kajami-Keane had eight points before leaving the game with an apparent ankle injury in the second quarter.

Tai Webster led the Tall Blacks with 19 points.

Canada opened its pre-World Cup camp with three players with significant NBA experience but are down to just Orlando's Khem Birch. Miami Heat's Kelly Olynyk pulled out earlier this month after injuring his knee in an exhibition game with Nigeria. Sacramento Kings point guard Cory Joseph played in Canada's two exhibition games against Nigeria but didn't travel to Australia. He could rejoin the team for the World Cup.

The Canadians wrap up their pre-tournament schedule against the United States on Aug. 26.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada