2100 Market Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 12:30 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
If this gets built to the designs posted on the first page, it may end up being one of my favorite projects. The design is completely unique to Philadelphia and the height/location will have a massive impact on the skyline. I wouldn't want too many abstract buildings going up, but the one will make for a beautiful contrast with the surrounding landscape.
While this is still very early in this site's development cycle, I have to believe that we are going to see some daring architecture here. There are only two ways to achieve this block's potential:

1. A two-phase project that replaces the firehouse in the first phase, or
2. A project that capitalizes on the air rights above the firehouse.

Any project that goes the route of (2) will require some daring structural engineering (cantilevering) which in turn demands daring architecture. And Brandywine has proven they can do daring quite well.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
While this is still very early in this site's development cycle, I have to believe that we are going to see some daring architecture here. There are only two ways to achieve this block's potential:

1. A two-phase project that replaces the firehouse in the first phase, or
2. A project that capitalizes on the air rights above the firehouse.

Any project that goes the route of (2) will require some daring structural engineering (cantilevering) which in turn demands daring architecture. And Brandywine has proven they can do daring quite well.
You see the city willing to abandon the firehouse? Where would it go? The two-way nature of Market Street is an appealing feature for them. As to the second, does the existing spec render entail capitalizing on the firehouse's air rights? I think it's a pretty good start.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 2:15 AM

^ The only way the City leaves that firehouse is if a new one is built in advance on a vacant Market Street parcel nearby, at Brandywine's expense.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 2:21 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^ The only way the City leaves that firehouse is if a new one is built in advance on a vacant Market Street parcel nearby, at Brandywine's expense.
I can't see that in the cards. A new firehouse is easily 2-3 million dollars. Brandywine won't subsidize that kind of cost unless the land is worth equal to that and they need that land to build on with will have a healthy ROI.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 2:25 AM

^ I'm not expecting it either. There'd have to be a very compelling need for Brandywine to eliminate that gap between their parcels on that block.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 4:52 PM
Midrise

I don't think Brandywine plans to use the entire block for new construction, considering that they've just completed a total renovation of the corner building and they're actively marketing space in the building 2 doors west, next to the firestation. See October streetview:

https://goo.gl/maps/GaWa6dzuVTL2

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 5:32 PM

Pardon my stupid question, but is that questionable memorial to that building collapse a few years ago actually being built? The renderings to this make it look like 2100 Market is being built on the spot where that park was going to be. Personally, I'd rather this building than that park.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Pardon my stupid question, but is that questionable memorial to that building collapse a few years ago actually being built? The renderings to this make it look like 2100 Market is being built on the spot where that park was going to be. Personally, I'd rather this building than that park.
park is being built. It's a closed case.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
I don't think Brandywine plans to use the entire block for new construction, considering that they've just completed a total renovation of the corner building and they're actively marketing space in the building 2 doors west, next to the firestation. See October streetview:

https://goo.gl/maps/GaWa6dzuVTL2
Quote:
This building would sit in between the firehouse and the park which is being built on a small sliver on the corner of 22nd and Market.

The lowrises to the east of the firehouse will eventually be demolished for a 12-15 story building after this "First Phase" is complete.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
This building would sit in between the firehouse and the park which is being built on a small sliver on the corner of 22nd and Market.

The lowrises to the east of the firehouse will eventually be demolished for a 12-15 story building after this "First Phase" is complete.
The 500 foot tall office tower is the first phase, right? The mid-rise east of the firehouse would be phase two? That's music to my ears, thanks for sharing Summers.

Not to get knit picky but the term, "2100 Market" is not entirely accurate. Maybe that's what makes the placement of this tower confusing to some. It's really mid-block, closer to 22nd Street. But I suppose 2100 Market is easier than 2100 block of Market.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 4:43 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Not to get knit picky but the term, "2100 Market" is not entirely accurate. Maybe that's what makes the placement of this tower confusing to some. It's really mid-block, closer to 22nd Street. But I suppose 2100 Market is easier than 2100 block of Market.
I suppose you could say 2116, which is the eastern-most lot of those being consolidated for that phase, but they might ultimately use any even number 2116 thru 2136 (2120 looks and sounds nice, but I wouldn't take bets on it.)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 2:40 AM

Update from Building Philly

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:51 PM

^^^So, is this building a "go"?

Or is this just SLS-style preliminary demo/site prep and we'll be staring at a hole for the next 24months?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
^^^So, is this building a "go"?

Or is this just SLS-style preliminary demo/site prep and we'll be staring at a hole for the next 24months?
Temporary parking lot for 2 years unfortunately. Building hasn't even gone through CDR and approval process. 2019 groundbreaking.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 8:52 PM

Really? I wouldn't have thought that they would release renderings for a building that far in advance. I remember first hearing about this around Fall 2015. That's up to 4 years from groundbreaking. Why bother letting it be known?

Also, congratulations on 10,000 posts, summersm343!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Really? I wouldn't have thought that they would release renderings for a building that far in advance. I remember first hearing about this around Fall 2015. That's up to 4 years from groundbreaking. Why bother letting it be known?

Also, congratulations on 10,000 posts, summersm343!
The renderings weren't "released." Brandywine said they eventually plan on building a tower here and that's pretty much all they said.

The renderings were leaked by people on this forum. They're just preliminary renderings.

And thanks!!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 12:39 AM

Changing the name of the thread to 2120 Market for now to be clear on the location.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:51 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfar View Post
i suppose you could say 2116, which is the eastern-most lot of those being consolidated for that phase, but they might ultimately use any even number 2116 thru 2136 (2120 looks and sounds nice, but i wouldn't take bets on it.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
changing the name of the thread to 2120 market for now to be clear on the location.
+1.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 4:41 AM

1/13/2017

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:16 AM

2/23/2017

Site cleared.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals