HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:47 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
2031 N Milwaukee Ave is the project I am referencing. I heard the developer talking about the balloon frame aspect at one of those community meetings... but we should see here shortly if that comes to be on the construction site.
The John Pennycuff Apts.

I love this project. A perfect slice of urbanism

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:38 PM

Anyone know anything about the projects on Sheridan by the L station, just south of Irving Park?

I thought there were 3 projects proposed projects on 3 of the corners - but there hasn't been any activity. Being so close to Wrigley I thought these would be layups.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
Anyone know anything about the projects on Sheridan by the L station, just south of Irving Park?

I thought there were 3 projects proposed projects on 3 of the corners - but there hasn't been any activity. Being so close to Wrigley I thought these would be layups.
I think the one on the NW corner of Sheridan and Dakin is not happening at all. There was interior demo and reno going on. I don't think anyone has purchased the NE corner and the SE corner, where the Ace Hardware store is located seems stalled. The owner of the hardware store owns the building and is the one behind this project. I am in the store a lot, but have quit asking him about timeline (he seems frustrated). Most of the tenant restaurants are gone. It is just the hardware store and the panaderia.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
I think the one on the NW corner of Sheridan and Dakin is not happening at all. There was interior demo and reno going on. I don't think anyone has purchased the NE corner and the SE corner, where the Ace Hardware store is located seems stalled. The owner of the hardware store owns the building and is the one behind this project. I am in the store a lot, but have quit asking him about timeline (he seems frustrated). Most of the tenant restaurants are gone. It is just the hardware store and the panaderia.
NW corner ? 1000-1008 W Dakin ? Loved that place.

The hardware store - back in the days (from 1004 Dakin)

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:56 PM
The City

^ Ahhhh, a pic from 1991

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 8:07 PM

I can't wait for "The People Under the Stairs" to finally come out

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 6:04 PM
1st Ward

I think this thread might be the right spot for this article. Apologies if its already been posted!

Massive Near South Side neighborhood plan about to be unveiled
Multibillion-dollar plans will call for covering the Metra Electric rail tracks west of Soldier Field and building a huge mix of residential, office and retail space.
Source: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...ut-be-unveiled
Quote:
Even as city officials weigh other proposed mega-development deals in and near downtown, a Wisconsin developer who played a key role in building Ford Field in Detroit and rebuilding Lambeau Field in Green Bay is pitching another: A multibillion-dollar plan to deck over Metra Electric rail tracks west of Soldier Field to build a mix of residential, office and retail space.

Several sources close to the matter say a partnership headed by Wisconsin executive Bob Dunn has briefed City Hall and other officials on plans, set to be officially unveiled next month, to build over 34 acres of Metra Electric tracks and storage facilities just west of South Lake Shore Drive, from McFetridge Drive south to roughly 20th Street.

Air rights to build over the tracks were acquired more than 20 years ago by developer Gerald Fogelson, who built the huge Central Station residential complex just to the north, south and east of Roosevelt Road and Michigan Avenue. Fogelson had hoped to develop the adjacent air-rights property himself as a sort of Central Station 2.0, and as late as 2015 was looking for a partner, describing then a $3 billion long-term plan with 3,000 apartments and 500 hotel rooms.

The local alderman, Pat Dowell, 3rd, said she plans to present the proposal at a public meeting on March 13, adding that, while she wants to hear what local residents have to say before proceeding, the plans are “very impressive” and Dunn is “among the best developers I’ve worked with.”

Dowell also confirmed that, unlike other pending megaprojects including the Lincoln Yards plan along the North Branch of the Chicago River and the 78 at Roosevelt and Clark Street, Landmark is not seeking a city tax-increment financing subsidy.

That means, with the decking itself very expensive, the project is likely to be quite large, though the total size and the breakdown among retail, residential and commercial space is not yet known, and likely not final.

One business source familiar with the latest proposal says it offers the possibility of better connecting McCormick Place, at the south end of the Landmark property to downtown Chicago.

Developers also are talking about some sort rail link from this property to downtown, a link that could extend to McCormick Place or farther south. It’s not clear whether that involves reconstructing Metra’s dilapidated 18th Street station and getting the commuter rail agency to add more frequent service, or constructing a new line in available Metra right-of-way. Some sort of bus connection also may be in the works, turning the 18th Street station into a transit center for the mid-South Side lakefront.

Fogelson and Dunn also may strike a deal with a deep-pocketed third firm to finance the Chicago project, which could take well over a decade to complete.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 6:41 PM
The City

Yay, another plan

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 6:43 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
I can't wait for "The People Under the Stairs" to finally come out
The movie sucked. The hip hop group was much better.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 7:23 PM

If they aren't asking for TIF money, they can probably get moving much faster than the other 2 big projects.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 8:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
If they aren't asking for TIF money, they can probably get moving much faster than the other 2 big projects.
All of these huge developments show how valuable something like the Chicago Connector plan could be. It travels through this proposal, the 78, Lincoln Yards and the Tribune's River District.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 8:45 PM

They should TIF them all to build just that!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 9:39 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
They should TIF them all to build just that!
Hear Hear!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 10:38 PM

I had totally forgotten that the track-capping project was still a thing. The folks in Central Station losing their views are gonna shit.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 11:26 PM

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/2/21...tracks-gateway

Man can you guys imagine a time if and when all these mega developments come to fruition. Their sizes alone are like complete neighborhoods, and total up to the size of a mid size city.

Lincoln yards - 70+ acres
River District - 30+ acres
The 78 - 62+acres
Michael Reese hospital - 50+acres
Riverline - 15 acres
And now this 35 acres

Rough calculation close to 300 acres of raw developments! I mean seriously is there any city in the country that can potentially claim this?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 12:15 AM

There was a new construction permit issued for the vacant lot at Warren & Ashland right across the street from Union Park for a new 7 story, 63 unit (studio and 1 bedrooms) for mostly affordable housing (and some market rate I think) and only 7 parking spaces. About a block SE of this was where a permit was issued 8 days ago for a new 5 story, 32 unit building on another vacant lot (right south of the Pipefitters building)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...!4d-87.6665711

From the DPD Twitter in June 2018 (https://twitter.com/chicagodpd/statu...63206133813248)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There was a new construction permit issued for the vacant lot at Warren & Ashland right across the street from Union Park for a new 7 story, 63 unit (studio and 1 bedrooms) for mostly affordable housing (and some market rate I think) and only 7 parking spaces. About a block SE of this was where a permit was issued 8 days ago for a new 5 story, 32 unit building on another vacant lot (right south of the Pipefitters building)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...!4d-87.6665711

From the DPD Twitter in June 2018 (https://twitter.com/chicagodpd/statu...63206133813248)

Nice hood.
P1020960 by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

P1020933 by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

P1890684 by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 1:17 AM

Here's another one just a few blocks south. The building at the NW corner of Ashland & Adams got a demo permit yesterday:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/13...!4d-87.6663178

There is a pending permit to build a new 4 story, 89 unit building with 117 parking spaces. Based on the height and number of units, I'd guess it would mean that the big parking lot behind (north of) the building along Ashland would be part of the plans..

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 5:46 PM

Great to see the Ashland corridor starting to heat up.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Nice hood.
P1020960 by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

P1020933 by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

P1890684 by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr
So, Harry, I've never posted a compliment to you for all the awesome pics you post, but I have got to say that I think you deserve more credit than anyone for the success of the Chicago forums... I know there is much more engagement here than other cities, and I believe it's due to posters such as yourself that are constantly keeping tabs of our ongoing built environment...

It was this post that finally motivated me to give you kudos as the most deserved contributor among us because you obviously have an incredibly organized database to search and illustrate and contribute to someone else's post at the drop of a hat...

and I like your dog...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development