HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 4:50 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2012 in DALIAN, China

With a typhoon approaching Hong Kong and threatening the long weekend, I decided to take drastic action by flying out for a short trip. Armed with plenty of Asia Miles, I explored what location was small enough yet interesting for a 2.5-3 day trip. With most of the region under the summer monsoon, there wasn't much choice to begin with. In the end, I settled for Dalian, which was forecasted to have a sunny weekend.

This Air China plane will take me to Dalian today.

Dalian was originally built by Russia as the ice-free alternative to the Vladivostok port. The Russians leased the Dalian peninsula from China in 1898, only to lose it to Japan in the Russo-Japanese war in 1904-5. Today, Dalian is a laid-back city, surrounded by water on 3 sides, with immense natural beauty.

Zhongshan Square is Dalian's transportation centre, where 10 roads converge. Built in 1899 by the Russians, it was originally named "Nicholas Square".

The Dalian Hotel was built in 1909 as part of the Japanese-owned Yamato Hotel chain. It was restored in 1997 and continues to be a hotel today.

Inside, the lobby still is elegant, but was not particularly impressive. The cafe was a beautiful enclosed courtyard though.

Historic photographs and captions are hung in the lobby to respect the significance of this address.

Dalian is a city of squares. Minzhu Square is to the northeast of Zhongshan Square, but it isn't a pedestrian spot, but more a spacious tram stop, bordered by buildings like this historic one.

I head west along Changjiang Road towards the modern Hotel Nikko.

All the roads lead to some square eventually. Time to explore the side streets ...

Youhao Square is just west of Zhongshan Square, famous for its crystal ball in the centre. Heading north, Russian Street is within walking distance.

The full set : http://www.globalphotos.org/dalian.htm

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 5:23 PM

Great to see Dalian on here again. I definitely recognize a lot of locales in your shots. When were you there? Monsoon season sounds like late summer so I had probably already left. I didn't find Dalian as interesting as other Chinese cities. The history is unique but much of old Dalian has been torn down and replaced with lackluster hi-rises. Like you said, not really a pedestrian city. Thanks for the tour.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 5:53 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
Great to see Dalian on here again. I definitely recognize a lot of locales in your shots. When were you there? Monsoon season sounds like late summer so I had probably already left. I didn't find Dalian as interesting as other Chinese cities. The history is unique but much of old Dalian has been torn down and replaced with lackluster hi-rises. Like you said, not really a pedestrian city. Thanks for the tour.
I visited around July 1 last year.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 8:12 PM
Editor

Really interesting photo tour. Pictures from little know Chinese cities always are a treat.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 9:35 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 5:53 PM
Hong Kong

Dalian's trams date from the Japanese colonial era and continue to run across the city centre today from west to east. In addition to these historic relics, newer vehicles have also been brought to service.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 6:48 AM
Hong Kong

The Russians were interested in Dalian as an ice-free port on the Pacific, and leased the peninsula from China in 1898. Russian Street was Dalian's first avenue. Today, the 430m-long street is lined with a number of historic European-style buildings.

Russian Street emerges after crossing the rail tracks.

Many of these buildings have been transformed into various commercial uses from hotels to restaurants and souvenir shops.

Not all buildings are in good shape though. This grand building at the end of the street needs a good renovation.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 6:03 PM
Hong Kong

Dalian Sightseeing Tower is perched on a hill overlooking the city. At a height of 190m, it opened in 1987 and costed a mere USD$10 million to build. I had a bit of difficulty finding the entrance after getting off the bus. Visitors can opt to take a cable car ride up instead.

Despite its great location above everyone else, smog would ruin the visit. Here are some views to the north and east, looking towards the city centre.

Dalian is supposedly bound by the sea on 3 sides. None of that can be seen today.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 6:41 PM
Babylon falling

Very interesting pics. It really is a shame that this city does not embrace its ocean front location more than it does. Did you get any pics of areas near the water?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 5:08 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Very interesting pics. It really is a shame that this city does not embrace its ocean front location more than it does. Did you get any pics of areas near the water?
Binhai Road is a winding coastal road that offers serenity in the middle of the city. I start my tour at Tiger Beach, although I wasn't interested in venturing into the beach or the theme park.

There are grandiose plans to make this a waterfront tourist zone. I need some imagination to picture the final product.

Despite being right next to the sea, smog is a big problem in Dalian.

The road winds its way along the hills, opening up to sea views along the way. It'll be a great place to jog if the air cleared up.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 4:48 PM
Hong Kong

Previously known as Port Arthur, Lushun was a major military base for the Russians, and further expanded by the Japanese following the Russo-Japanese War in the early 20th century. The Japan-Russia Prison was built by the Russians in 1902 and expanded by the Japanese in 1907. With a capacity of some 2000 prisoners, the site was transformed into a museum in 1971.

Medical facilities within the prison were lacking at best. Prisoners were expected to fend for themselves.

The execution room where prisoners would be hung, then buried in a small basket as the example in the display case.

Remnants of various weapons from past wars are on display. There was also a souvenir counter that sold historic photo postcards.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 8:16 AM
Hong Kong

Lushun Museum is housed in beautifully-restored historic buildings and has an extensive collection of bronzes and porcelain. There are even a few mummies unearthed in Xinjiang on display.

Built in 1951, this monument celebrates the friendship between China and the Soviet Union.

Further down the street, this tower celebrates Soviet victories and was built just before the area was returned back to Chinese rule.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos