HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 12:56 AM

Today's Spec article: http://www.thespec.com/news-story/60...n-development/

Quote:
Darko Vranich, of King West Crossing Ltd., says the crucifix-shaped structure on King Street West was too far gone and "for today's standards it was very poorly designed." After a proposal fell through — from siblings who used to live in the building — to refurbish the property into offices, he could see no other option.

"They tried hard to save the building. I waited. I waited. But I could not wait any longer," Vranich says.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 1:30 AM

very speculative query: is this project's enlarged scale the first fruits of the future Queen Street LRT stop?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:21 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
So this may end up being a much bigger deal? May very well be due to the LRT stop.
Quote:
With the building levelled, Vranich says he is moving forward with massive plans for a $250-million project that includes a 22- to 24-storey apartment building for 500 to 600 tenants. He owns 1.6 hectares of land at the site near Queen Street North and he wants to see four to six buildings constructed at the site.

That's a much larger proposal than he talked about a year ago in a Spectator interview. At that time he said he was looking at a $100-million project that involved fewer buildings.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 1:40 AM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like this is moving forward, going to the design review panel next week.

https://www.hamilton.ca/develop-prop...n-review-panel

King & Queen Development Residential Development - Site A
200 Market Street & 55 Queen Street North

Student Residence and Hotel - Site B
354 King Street West

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 9:37 PM

Joey Coleman on twitter reporting 2 25-storey towers being proposed here now....based on his Twitter discussion, there might be two more 25-storey towers on the next block north between Market and Napier. Not entirely sure though

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 11:30 AM

This is a pretty large site, hope that they can convince last few remaining houses on North East of block to sell so that can have a cohesive design.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
This is a pretty large site, hope that they can convince last few remaining houses on North East of block to sell so that can have a cohesive design.

I actually feel this is a great site to see a project that transitions down to a low/mid-rise form next to those homes and helps create a seamless street wall that goes from low rise single homes to stacked podium towns, then perhaps a mid-rise component mid-block towards Queen with high rise towers at Queen. Add retail along Queen and King and suddenly all the folks who live in these adjacent blocks in Strathcona have a new extension to their neighbourhood with retail within walking distance, and a much more pleasant tree-lined walk towards downtown instead of parking lot purgatory.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 3:25 AM

^^^ agree that stepping down and or varaince in some heights would work well in this transition block. Hope it plays out soon

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
^^^ agree that stepping down and or varaince in some heights would work well in this transition block. Hope it plays out soon

My bad re: your original post....I've lived seconds from this site for years and somehow just glossed over those 2 homes on the NE corner of the block that you pointed out. I thought you were referring to the homes further west on Market.

Yea, those 2 corner homes...super weird. Would def make sense to try to purchase them and urbanize the entire block with street fronting retail/residential on King/Queen/Market

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:28 PM

So the official site plan application is in. Heights are the following:

On the block bound by King, Queen and Market, they are proposing a ten storey, 112 unit hotel including a two storey podium, and a ten storey, 168 unit apartment complex including a two storey podium.

On the block bound by Queen, Market, and Naiper, they are proposing a fifteen storey mixed use building including a three storey commercial bldg (Building B) and a 12 storey, 140 unit mid-rise apartment bldg (Building A).

So I think they're pitching 5 buildings overall for the two blocks, but I can't tell for sure until we get a clear look at the site plan.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
So the official site plan application is in. Heights are the following:

On the block bound by King, Queen and Market, they are proposing a ten storey, 112 unit hotel including a two storey podium, and a ten storey, 168 unit apartment complex including a two storey podium.

On the block bound by Queen, Market, and Naiper, they are proposing a fifteen storey mixed use building including a three storey commercial bldg (Building B) and a 12 storey, 140 unit mid-rise apartment bldg (Building A).

So I think they're pitching 5 buildings overall for the two blocks, but I can't tell for sure until we get a clear look at the site plan.

Certainly lower heights than I would have liked for a site right at an LRT stop, but if they design the site properly, I hope the podiums have street-facing retail along King and portions of Queen.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 1:08 AM

Interesting placement for a hotel, dont get me wrong, applaude the additional rooms in downtown, but getting a bit far from the centre. Also was hoping for a bit more density at King and Queen. Maybe Thorne will tell them to build taller.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:20 PM

Sorry for veering from the main purpose for this thread but what does the City require of developers when their developments necessitate the removal of trees, and does it matter how mature they are? These sites around Queen and Market have a bunch of trees including a handful that are quite mature which will presumably have to be removed for the sake of these developments.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Sorry for veering from the main purpose for this thread but what does the City require of developers when their developments necessitate the removal of trees, and does it matter how mature they are? These sites around Queen and Market have a bunch of trees including a handful that are quite mature which will presumably have to be removed for the sake of these developments.
Not sure what exactly is required by the City but the DRT does comment on existing vegetation and can implore the developer to preserve trees and whatnot.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 8:14 PM

not sure how up to date this is, but its pretty much the same as the large printed render they have hanging up in their office.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
not sure how up to date this is, but its pretty much the same as the large printed render they have hanging up in their office.
Is this the only render? Is there a site plan yet? This is across from Platinum condos right? This will be a nice little density corner following these two builds.

The little restaurant is really nice, despite being a single floor. I'm curious if that will be up for redevelopment with 2 of the 4 corners being high density like this.

Also along LRT route, and this guy loves his hotels eh

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:47 PM

More height and less boxy would’ve been nice

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 7:43 PM
Forever forward.

Coming to committee of adjustment this Thursday.

H/T Joey Coleman's twitter.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
Coming to committee of adjustment this Thursday.

H/T Joey Coleman's twitter.
There are two proposals here. 354 King St W and 200 Market St.
Should the title of this thread change to 354 King St W ?

354 King St W is actually 3 developments in one, a 10 story hotel, 6 story apartment complex with 6 attached townhouses.

Also, is there a thread for 200 Market St yet?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:42 AM

Is something wrong with the forum ? Or has no one posted anything in days ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton