HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 8:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Sorry for intruding but shouldn't the priority be a connecting highway between the 102 and the 101, somewhere in the vicinity of Wellington or Beaverbank?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sorry for intruding but shouldn't the priority be a connecting highway between the 102 and the 101, somewhere in the vicinity of Wellington or Beaverbank?
The most logical connection should be at Lower Sackville but room or the lack of it will limit options. If the City keeps growing at the recent pace there will be even fewer options.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 9:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
The most logical connection should be at Lower Sackville but room or the lack of it will limit options. If the City keeps growing at the recent pace there will be even fewer options.
Maybe extend the 118 northwestwards across the lake that's there, and then have it link up with the 101 near Upper Sackville?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I have never understood why this has not been pursued. The comments about having such a connection in the Sackville vicinity make little sense to me as you are almost in Bedford at that point anyway where the highways meet. Having such a connection somewhere between Truro and Shubenacadie would allow travelers to get to the 101 and the Annapolis Valley without having to go all the way south to Bedford or traverse unimproved and curvy country roads that are the only present-day connection.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 3:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I have never understood why this has not been pursued. The comments about having such a connection in the Sackville vicinity make little sense to me as you are almost in Bedford at that point anyway where the highways meet. Having such a connection somewhere between Truro and Shubenacadie would allow travelers to get to the 101 and the Annapolis Valley without having to go all the way south to Bedford or traverse unimproved and curvy country roads that are the only present-day connection.
Shubenacadie to Windsor would be good.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 3:19 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
I’ve mused about an N.S.-114 for that but apparently the demand isn’t quite there.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 3:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I’ve mused about an N.S.-114 for that but apparently the demand isn’t quite there.
Even a super-2 would probably be sufficient. At least for a good while.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 3:42 PM

Such a highway from the Shubenacadie area to Windsor (failing a Truro connection to Windsor) would really improve commercial transport. Everything that comes into NS from the western provinces (most everything, therefore) would no longer need to travel all they down to Bedford and then retrace many miles to get to Windsor and points beyond in the Valley.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 5:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Such a highway from the Shubenacadie area to Windsor (failing a Truro connection to Windsor) would really improve commercial transport. Everything that comes into NS from the western provinces (most everything, therefore) would no longer need to travel all they down to Bedford and then retrace many miles to get to Windsor and points beyond in the Valley.
Though I would think that a lot of stuff from points west that is bound for the Valley and the SW is going to need to first make a stop in the Halifax area anyway.

But there are agricultural products from the Valley and sea products from Digby and Yarmouth that could probably bypass the Halifax area on their way to other provinces.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 6:07 PM

Quote:
My thoughts as well.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Agreed that NS should move exit numbers to distance-based rather than sequential. However, NS is not alone with sequential exit numbering. The New York Thruway uses sequential exit numbering; as does the New Jersey Turnpike. Believe Vermont and New Hampshire also use sequential numbering statewide.
Actually, Nova Scotia is getting close to alone. My understanding is there are now just two provinces (NS and NL) using sequential highway exit numbers. (PEI and the territories don't have numbered exits.) I believe Saskatchewan was the last to make the change, in 2018, although I'm not sure if older highway signage has all been converted yet.

In the US, the Federal Highway Administration decreed in 2009 that federally-funded highway exits should have mileage-based numbers, but there's no deadline for conversions. Only three states and the District of Columbia still have sequential numbers exclusively. Another six, including New York, have a mixture.

This has long been a pet peeve of mine. I know Nova Scotians are supposed to hate change but, for pete's sake, why we continue to build new highways and new highway interchanges and slap As and Bs and Es and Ws on them and think that's not confusing is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
The best example of the poor exit numbering strategy is "EXIT 0" from Bi Hi to Joseph Howe.
I've thought an "exit zero" was a bit bizarre as well. But the American highway code does specify that an exit at the beginning of a highway should be designated "0".

Last edited by ns_kid; Apr 1, 2023 at 10:52 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Driving from Truro (and points west) to the Annapolis Valley means a 132 kilometre trek via Sackville on highway 102 and 101. You could, as an alternative, take winding highway 14 at Shubenacadie (105 km) or the very rural route 236 (95 km). They'd all take you about the same length of time.

I was always a bit surprised that trucking interests at least might not have lobbied in favour of routing a highway over the old Dominion Atlantic Railway right-of-way between Truro and Windsor after CP abandoned the line. The DAR ran in a pretty straight line, about 92 km, via Brooklyn, Kennetcook and South Maitland. As far as I know, unlike other sections of the former railbed, it has not been developed into a contiguous recreation trail system. The old railway swing bridge over the Shubenacadie River came down in the mid-80s.

It seems conceivable to me that some combination of upgrades to highway 236 and reclamation of the rail right-of-way could provide a feasible faster, safer and energy-saving link between the Valley and points west.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
I've thought an "exit zero" was a bit bizarre as well. But the American highway code does specify that an exit at the beginning of a highway should be designated "0".
The truly bizarre aspect is that the highway continues past exit 0. Is the end of the highway at Bayer's Road exit -1?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:
As I understand it the original plan (which would have been fantastic from a highway perspective) was a ring-like highway from the 103 to 101 (Margeson was to be a 100 series highway) which would intersect with the original route of the 107 in north beaverbank, and loop over to the 102 at aerotech (with future plans to extend south of the 103 and ... west? of the 102 towards Porters Lake area)

Everytime I think about the original plan, I get annoyed at what we are and will be missing.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 2:58 PM

I hope the Mayor of Halifax and counselors realizes after this fire how important having adequate road infrastructure is critical in emergencies.

Highway 113 needs to be built to connect to these neighborhoods (with new exits and connector roads) affected by the fire as well as providing a fire break to prevent future fires from spreading and causing such enormous impacts.

The fact that they are having to build emergency roads to let people return home says it all:

Quote:
Emergency exits:
The municipality is exercising its powers during the State of Local Emergency to build two permanent gravel gated emergency exits on municipal land to provide additional travel options in an emergency, such as these fires.

1. A clearing from the Haliburton Hills subdivision to connect Buckingham Drive to Highway 103. This exit is currently under construction.
2. A clearing from the Highland Park subdivision from the end of Sylvania Terrace to Hammonds Plains Road. Construction will begin when safe.
https://twitter.com/hfxgov/status/1665368322555228162

https://twitter.com/NSCCResearch/sta...13648432992258

Higher Resolution:

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 9:19 PM

Yes, I am surprised that this issue regarding inaction on the Highway 113 project has not been the subject of discussion in the media after the events of this week.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure