HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 5:18 PM

Has any work been started on this yet? Haven't had the chance to drive by in a while.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 5:50 PM
Volatile Pacivist

^ There's definitely a big hole on a lot bordering Lyle St. I saw it last night on my way over the bridge.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
^ There's definitely a big hole on a lot bordering Lyle St. I saw it last night on my way over the bridge.
That's the Boston Developments 26-storey tower on Williams Street (bordered by Lyle and Faulkner). Different project.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 6:29 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
That's the Boston Developments 26-storey tower on Williams Street (bordered by Lyle and Faulkner). Different project.
Ok then I guess it hasn't started as i didn't notice much else other than the Tim Horton's thing which also seems to be separate.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Ok then I guess it hasn't started as i didn't notice much else other than the Tim Horton's thing which also seems to be separate.
If I recall correctly (always an iffy proposition) the Boston Developments piece was originally part of the property which is the subject of this thread but was hived off and sold to Boston.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 8:01 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Nothing to note the last time I went by last week. It is pretty cool to think about how this whole area may look 3 years from now. The Tim Horton, this, and the other tower down the street. Will not look like my old hood as I remember it.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Nothing to note the last time I went by last week. It is pretty cool to think about how this whole area may look 3 years from now. The Tim Horton, this, and the other tower down the street.
And possibly three 30-storey towers behind the DoubleTree. Or as I'll always think of it, the Holiday Inn.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 11:42 PM

There is a plywood fence now enclosing the lot of the old original Tim Horton’s site ( if memory serves) and an excavator was working there today.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 1:27 PM

The lower portion of this site is now a construction site. Full block width from Faulkner to Dawson.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 4:27 PM
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The lower portion of this site is now a construction site. Full block width from Faulkner to Dawson.
So it seems like something along the lines of this building would be one half of the first phase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Another block is for sale. The listing has a rendering, I doubt it will match the final build as I think it was from the original concept for the area.

MU4 - Harbour Gardens

On this lot:

And the other half would have a similar massing:

https://ghosngroup.ca/projects/

It also appears that a small lane or extension of Williams St. will be provided to access these buildings' parkades.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 12:03 AM

The illustration of the waterfront appears to foresee a brave new world of the harbour side of the railway tracks and a new flat terrain.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
The illustration of the waterfront appears to foresee a brave new world of the harbour side of the railway tracks and a new flat terrain.
I'm just happy since it foresees elimination of the toll plaza on the Macdonald, a return of the slip lane for right turns onto Wyse from Nantucket that Austin had bulldozed out of existence, and no more AusSticks and concrete curbs on Wyse for the cyclists who remain non-existent in this future state.

I do wonder how wise it is to allow these new buildings to be located so close to the Macdonald. It would tend to rule out any future use of that corridor for a new and improved harbor crossing.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I'm just happy since it foresees elimination of the toll plaza on the Macdonald, a return of the slip lane for right turns onto Wyse from Nantucket that Austin had bulldozed out of existence, and no more AusSticks and concrete curbs on Wyse for the cyclists who remain non-existent in this future state.

At least one of those things is likely to be true (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...0toll%20booths, "Removing Toll Booths")

No toll booths, a cluster of high rises as you enter Dartmouth, active transport infrastructure (to Keith's chagrin ). It's going to feel so modern!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 3:32 PM

It's really nice to see some of these projects going ahead along the wyse road corridor. The connections to the bus/ferry plus the AT connections are going to make it a very attractive place in the years to come. Any word on when the high rise portion may get under way on this block?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 4:08 PM

Unfortunately, the intersection with Wyse and the bridge is pretty brutal for pedestrians and I fear will disconnect this area from downtown Dartmouth and even the Bridge Terminal for a while. Perhaps implementing a roundabout here at some point could improve things, allowing for more development while not adding to the already congested streets...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 4:40 PM

The intersection may be intimidating for people walking, but I will say it got better with the traffic alterations that were made in the general area (antidotal experience). Having worked at 99 wyse, I would frequently walk to Bagel Montreal Style, McDonald's and spots in DT Dartmouth. Living there may be a different story, but I don't find it all too bad walking/biking the area during my commute/lunches. I believe one of the factors that make walking undesirable in the area are the stretches of vacant land, deep setbacks and the sea of parking lots. With some infill, I think it will help make the pedestrian experience much more pleasant in the area. The car traffic always was and will be an issue, but I think a major focus should be on the pedestrian experience

PS - was a ghost reader for years, new to replying - def not an expert in these kind of area transformations

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 7:19 PM

A flyover off the Macdonald to Nantucket would improve traffic conditions dramatically yet never seems to be on the radar of anyone. It would certainly be a better use of public funds than the bike flyover boondoggle on the Halifax side.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernGreg View Post
It's really nice to see some of these projects going ahead along the wyse road corridor. The connections to the bus/ferry plus the AT connections are going to make it a very attractive place in the years to come. Any word on when the high rise portion may get under way on this block?
There really is no connection from this area to the ferry. If you do not want to walk that hilly section you need to trek steeply uphill to the poorly situated Transit terminal and hope there is a bus heading to the ferry. Going from the ferry terminal area in DT Dartmouth to the transit terminal is even worse. Once you are dumped at the Transit terminal there is typically a longish wait for a bus to get to where you want to go, making the user an inviting target for the lowlifes that tend to hang out there.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
There really is no connection from this area to the ferry. If you do not want to walk that hilly section you need to trek steeply uphill to the poorly situated Transit terminal and hope there is a bus heading to the ferry. Going from the ferry terminal area in DT Dartmouth to the transit terminal is even worse. Once you are dumped at the Transit terminal there is typically a longish wait for a bus to get to where you want to go, making the user an inviting target for the lowlifes that tend to hang out there.
I cycled steeper hills in Yorkshire and never had a problem with cars.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2023, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernGreg View Post
The intersection may be intimidating for people walking, but I will say it got better with the traffic alterations that were made in the general area (antidotal experience).
More people here need antidotal experiences to cure themselves of antiquated views.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth