HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 2:03 PM

Providence's signature art deco skyscraper may be demolished

Rhode Island Gov. Dan McKee is open to tearing down the state's tallest building.

He told the Providence Journal that demolition is an option if the historic "Superman" building can’t be renovated.

The 26-story office tower at 111 Westminster St. is on the Providence Preservation Society's endangered properties list and has been vacant since 2013...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...per/ar-AAMYj3D

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 2:21 PM
Dryer lint inspector

The loss of that building would be such an architectural loss and a particularly huge loss to Providence's history. Sell it for a buck and turn it into high end lofts.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

An absolute travesty if demolition really is the only feasible plan they can come up with.

Do better.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:27 PM

That would have to be the largest U.S. city where the tallest tower was voluntarily demolished.

I know Flint demolished its tallest tower a few years ago (it was hideous and abandoned for years), but can't think of examples in bigger metros.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Sell it for a buck and turn it into high end lofts.
Most commercial buildings make for crappy residential conversions due to the wide floor plates allowing for limited windows. But the massing of that building is such that I think you'd only need to worry about dead space in the building core on maybe the first dozen stories.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 5:00 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Most commercial buildings make for crappy residential conversions due to the wide floor plates allowing for limited windows. But the massing of that building is such that I think you'd only need to worry about dead space in the building core on maybe the first dozen stories.
it seems to me that there's enough perimeter variation even on the lower floors of the long facades of the building to make residential workable down there as well.

it's not some big bloated 60s modernist rectangular prism box-scraper. this should be very doable as a residential conversion from the technical side.

as to whether or not the local market could support such a project, i can't speak to that.

source: https://www.wbur.org/news/2013/04/07...ilding-go-dark

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 5, 2021 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 5:50 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I don't know if Providence/RI ever fully came back from the economic crash and it was it hit especially hard. There was a massive proposal behind the Superman building that was supposed to be the new tallest in Providence that became a casualty. Anyway, the area just behind Superman and to the right (Downcity) is loaded with character that I just can't see how this building isn't ripe for loft conversion.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 5:52 PM
E pluribus unum

There's some rumblings of something similar happening to Valley Center/Chase Tower in Phoenix, since Chase is moving all of its workers out of the building later this year.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 6:32 PM

It would be a travesty for this tower in Providence to be demolished. This building along with the Travellers Tower in Hartford, and the Custom House Tower in Boston were the three iconic towers that were respectfully the tallest in New Englands three largest Metropolitan areas for many years. I am truly hoping they can find some reuse for this tower in Providence, maybe some type of mixed-use.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 6:55 PM

What a terrible possibility. I agree with others that it's form makes it a good candidate for residential or mixed use.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 7:21 PM

Quote:
I don't know if Providence/RI ever fully came back from the economic crash and it was it hit especially hard. There was a massive proposal behind the Superman building that was supposed to be the new tallest in Providence that became a casualty. Anyway, the area just behind Superman and to the right (Downcity) is loaded with character that I just can't see how this building isn't ripe for loft conversion.
I would think one of the biggest issues with trying to make Downtown Providence into more of a residential neighborhood is College Hill is right across the river and a well established middle class/student residential neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 7:47 PM
Never Dell

A short walk to College Hill, work, and retail? Sign me up. (If I lived in Providence)

Downtown housing tends to attract more downtown housing.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 7:57 PM
E pluribus unum

Never noticed this before or gave it any thought, but I love how Providence's two tallest are, apparently, less than a city block from each other on the same street.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 8:05 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
I would think one of the biggest issues with trying to make Downtown Providence into more of a residential neighborhood is College Hill is right across the river and a well established middle class/student residential neighborhood.
Two very different vibes. College Hill is an younger area dominated by older Victorian/ Federal style houses and of course, the college while Downcity is more urban and more walkable with already respectable residential population and plenty of things to do.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 8:31 PM
Never Dell

Funny how "Downcity" makes it sound smaller than Downtown. Like a marketing committee thought it up.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
it seems to me that there's enough perimeter variation even on the lower floors of the long facades of the building to make residential workable down there as well.

it's not some big bloated 60s modernist rectangular prism box-scraper. this should be very doable as a residential conversion from the technical side.

as to whether or not the local market could support such a project, i can't speak to that.

source: https://www.wbur.org/news/2013/04/07...ilding-go-dark
Some of the older NYC and Chicago art-deco towers like Woolworth and Tribune apparently have been converted to residential, so I don't see why this one could not be. I don't know about the cost-of-living situation in Rhode Island, so I don't know if it is attractive to persons and businesses in the Boston area, which is probably much more expensive. I think many of the people and businesses looking for cheaper locales migrate to New Hampshire because it has no state income tax.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 9:37 PM
Posh

Quote:
It can't be any worse than the Power and Light Building in KC, which has been converted to apartments.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That would have to be the largest U.S. city where the tallest tower was voluntarily demolished.

I know Flint demolished its tallest tower a few years ago (it was hideous and abandoned for years), but can't think of examples in bigger metros.
Bethlehem's Martin Tower was imploded a few years ago. I don't know if thats big but its certainly different in that the area is doing well economically. The building had been vacant since Bethlehem Steel went belly up and was too costly to repair.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
The loss of that building would be such an architectural loss and a particularly huge loss to Providence's history. Sell it for a buck and turn it into high end lofts.
It apparently just came very close to getting sold for the ~$500k owed in back taxes to the City of Providence. Seems the owner(s) found the $ in the end.

I'd bet you anything that the people who currently own it would not agree to let it go for one dollar, also nor even for half a million of them (given that they just did).

If they decide to demolish it it's because they now think the lot is worth more without the building than it is with it. And again, in that case, I guarantee that they will be of the firm opinion that Lot Value Minus Demo Cost >> $1.

Maybe a bunch of us SSPers could get together and pool enough capital to buy that building and convert it to lofts... (I'm sure we could, and I'm also pretty sure that for some reason there will be no interest to even consider the idea. )

I've always wanted a 1920s Art Deco skyscraper. Haven't got one of those yet.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 10:22 PM

This is crummy, but effectively, this building is just a giant sculpture in the middle of downtown.

If it is inhibiting development of downtown, who I am, a non-resident of greater Providence, to say no to tearing it down?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions