HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
I wouldn’t exactly consider SA a model, no offense to SA. I’d rather see us build out like Portland. Very walkable and lively urban core.
I miss Portland...one of my favorite cities. Its like the Pittsburgh of the West Coast.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
San Antonio just doesn't get enough credit. The city's core is very walkable and feels more like an urban city in the downtown area than Austin. Even areas like the Pearl District feels very European.
True!! I agree to this statement. They're just missing some highrises but absolutely adore SA's donwtown.
That being said, I'm simply loving the infill in Austin lately and making our core a bit more dense instead of all the sprawl

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 9:39 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

People must remember that Austin is a "newer" city which is growing at an exponential rate compared to others.

S.A., Pittsburgh, Portland have been relatively large urban areas for much longer than Austin. Their urban foundations were laid generations ago. There's going to be a difference in urbanity because of this. Austin will become much more urban in the future.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
It's definitely a soapbox, but I think either developers or the city should prioritize having these spaces in developments, and ensuring they are functional. Even if they are taking a hit in rent, there's an indirect benefit to the entire area when there's "life" to an area outside of 9-5 office workers. It's huge part of what makes downtown areas in D.C., Chicago, Seattle, Boston liveable, whereas L.A., Houston, and Dallas have only just recently had any semblance of life after 5 PM on weekdays and any time on weekends.
At least a residential building helps create demand for retail. The Dallas and Houston situations are aggravated by office-heavy developments. The area won't be dead after 5 PM if people live there.

Still I agree that it's disappointing seeing a downtown project be a net negative in what it offers to those of us who won't live there. You don't see every building in NYC having huge ground floor lobbies like this.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
At least a residential building helps create demand for retail. The Dallas and Houston situations are aggravated by office-heavy developments. The area won't be dead after 5 PM if people live there.

Still I agree that it's disappointing seeing a downtown project be a net negative in what it offers to those of us who won't live there. You don't see every building in NYC having huge ground floor lobbies like this.
You're right -- Though without wanting to take the 100-year view that Chicago and NYC have towards their urban centers (since they have been bigger downtowns than Austin for at least that long), you kind of run into the issue of providing supply while pushing out the things that create demand. Put another way, at a certain point, Austin's downtown could have tons of condos and apartment buildings and lots of residents, without any remaining space to satisfy the demand they create for retail. It's unlikely, but buildings could start doing what NYC, Tokyo, and other cities with lots of development on small lots do: put their lobbies on higher floors, separate from the initial elevator banks.

Even compared to East Austin, downtown could start to lag behind. While there are obviously plenty of 5+3 apartment buildings on the eastside that have nothing, there are plenty (especially Plaza Saltillo, Corazon, the Arnold, etc.) that have lined 80% of street-facing space with bars, restaurants, and stores.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidberko View Post
True!! I agree to this statement. They're just missing some highrises but absolutely adore SA's donwtown.
That being said, I'm simply loving the infill in Austin lately and making our core a bit more dense instead of all the sprawl
I was going to say that on the other hand, San Antonio has the second worst skyline behind Phoenix for a city it's size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
People must remember that Austin is a "newer" city which is growing at an exponential rate compared to others.

S.A., Pittsburgh, Portland have been relatively large urban areas for much longer than Austin. Their urban foundations were laid generations ago. There's going to be a difference in urbanity because of this. Austin will become much more urban in the future.
Have you ever seen the older photos of Austin like anything pre-1950s? When the train used to pass in the center of Congress and there was a lot of street interaction. I think if Austin did a better job of preserving it's core rather than sending everyone out to Beecaves and surrounding areas over the decades, Austin's core would be right along with those other cities, maybe not Chicago, SF or NYC but close. Some photos I've noticed where old beautiful buildings were torn down and I wonder how much nicer it would be if they preserved those buildings like San Antonio preserved theirs.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
I was going to say that on the other hand, San Antonio has the second worst skyline behind Phoenix for a city it's size!

Have you ever seen the older photos of Austin like anything pre-1950s? When the train used to pass in the center of Congress and there was a lot of street interaction. I think if Austin did a better job of preserving it's core rather than sending everyone out to Beecaves and surrounding areas over the decades, Austin's core would be right along with those other cities, maybe not Chicago, SF or NYC but close. Some photos I've noticed where old beautiful buildings were torn down and I wonder how much nicer it would be if they preserved those buildings like San Antonio preserved theirs.
I used to drive Uber in SA and my passengers on 281 would be like, where's downtown?? Where's the tall buildings??
I'm like, we're coming up on it. Promise. Voila!
Or...
I'll be driving on Broadway and they have a 20+ story condo tower and they're like, is this downtown? Like, that's it?? LOL. It's a bit underwhelming for a city with 1.5 million people. Better views on I-10 going east but still. Oh well. They just don't build tall there for some reason. A lot of character though and I love the Pearl.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:08 AM

This design is pretty cool IMO and could become The Austonian’s twin tower. Retail is hard for a 1/4 block VMU. At least they tried with the outdoor amenities.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:17 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
san antonio?
San Antonio is great, but most of its draw is tourism. Their largest office market is outside of downtown, and I get the drift that if San Antonio did get a large infusion of residential downtown it wouldn't be in the touristy area of downtown. Locals typically don't like tourists, and that's true of just about any place. That said, they do have a large area to develop that I still consider to be their downtown boundary, and the river winds its way around downtown, so there is the potential for a mix of both.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
San Antonio is great, but most of its draw is tourism. Their largest office market is outside of downtown, and I get the drift that if San Antonio did get a large infusion of residential downtown it wouldn't be in the touristy area of downtown. Locals typically don't like tourists, and that's true of just about any place. That said, they do have a large area to develop that I still consider to be their downtown boundary, and the river winds its way around downtown, so there is the potential for a mix of both.
Maybe we need a thread where us Austinites speculate on San Antonio?

To further derail us, the stretch of the river north of downtown to the Pearl Brewery seems incredibly ripe for dense residential. I mean, it's already happening, but last time I was there it seemed close to a tipping point (and you walk just a block off it and it's industrial). I actually really like that neighborhood -- the riverwalk is an awesome amenity and there aren't nearly as many tourists there, and there are a few riverfront bars that are a lot of fun. It's definitely unique.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidberko View Post
I used to drive Uber in SA and my passengers on 281 would be like, where's downtown?? Where's the tall buildings??
I'm like, we're coming up on it. Promise. Voila!
Or...
I'll be driving on Broadway and they have a 20+ story condo tower and they're like, is this downtown? Like, that's it?? LOL. It's a bit underwhelming for a city with 1.5 million people. Better views on I-10 going east but still. Oh well. They just don't build tall there for some reason. A lot of character though and I love the Pearl.
Lol @ The Broadway being perceived as downtown

Trigger warning.... Native San Antonian here and I have to say, downtown SA is hands down 500x more charming than Austin. The layout is there, it just needs a ton of new residential conversions.

I love how they're different though! It gives this emerging metroplex some diversity in the areas. Austin is shiny brand new blue and SA is charming Meximerican old world brick.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post

Trigger warning.... Native San Antonian here and I have to say, downtown SA is hands down 500x more charming than Austin. The layout is there, it just needs a ton of new residential conversions.

I love how they're different though! It gives this emerging metroplex some diversity in the areas. Austin is shiny brand new blue and SA is charming Meximerican old world brick.
Agreed. Hands down.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 4:04 PM

Just Giving San Antonio Some Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Agreed. Hands down.
I too tend to agree but I do like (prefer) the modern vibe from Austin...very cosmopolitan but San Antonio has a down home charm plus my favorite Texas sky scraper San Antonio’s Tower Life Building:

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 4:04 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Agreed. Hands down.
Anyone who disagrees is wrong. Downtown San Antonio is the best and most intact historic downtown statewide.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Anyone who disagrees is wrong. Downtown San Antonio is the best and most intact historic downtown statewide.
I'm glad I agree because I hate being wrong all the time.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 4:32 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
But you aren’t wrong all the time.

Just most of the time. Jk jk jk.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
But you aren’t wrong all the time.

Just most of the time. Jk jk jk.
That's funny because its true.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
That's funny because its true.
Okay Karen Walker

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Lmao. Jeesh, me frickin too....

and Tyrone is right.... TOWER LIFE IS LIFE. Ahealy trivia: I used to think it was the Empire State Building as a wee kid. Jesus this thread has been deRAILED to oblivion. Sorry...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post

Oh not triggered at all. I lived in SA for probably 5 years. That's awesome you're a native! I think most people who have spent any amount of time in both cities will conclude similarly. Such a gosh darn charming city, San Antonio. They're both wonderful places in their own way. From a skyscraper nerd's standpoint though, I'm loving Austin right now

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin