HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytoony View Post

As to Columbus. I've followed this saga from the very beginning every. step. of. the. way. Their hearts are in the right place (they stood to lose their team) so I can't fault any lashing out against us. That said, their superpower seems to be for holding grudges - so don't expect it to go away. The rivalry won't ever mean as much to Austin as it will to them and that's ok. Let them stew and moan while we celebrate.

Fuck Columbus. They crossed a line. They were pretending to be citizens of Austin who didn't want the team and would email city council saying as such. They also would try to get people fired from their jobs for publicly supporting the move. All they do is bitch and whine and for what? They kept their team, they got a new stadium, and they won a championship.

The truth of the matter is they found a sense of fandom with SavetheCrew that they never had before so they have to keep the hatred alive to keep their fanbase engaged.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Fuck Columbus. They crossed a line. They were pretending to be citizens of Austin who didn't want the team and would email city council saying as such. They also would try to get people fired from their jobs for publicly supporting the move. All they do is bitch and whine and for what? They kept their team, they got a new stadium, and they won a championship.

The truth of the matter is they found a sense of fandom with SavetheCrew that they never had before so they have to keep the hatred alive to keep their fanbase engaged.
I mean, fuck them, sure, but let’s not pretend some of our more rabid fans wouldn’t have done the same in that situation. I know I spent a lot of time and effort on my useless council member (she who won’t be named). Sport and especially soccer brings out a lot of emotion in people.

Agreed on it working out for everyone and that it helped energize their fan base. I still think they’ll have trouble selling tickets but that’s their concern. We’ve got a great thing going here I’m all about focusing on us and not dropping to their level of pettiness.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 6:36 PM

Quote:
... I’m all about focusing on us and not dropping to their level of pettiness.
Weren't you the one that brought them up?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Weren't you the one that brought them up?
You big (lovable) lump, the entire recent conversation has been about Columbus and their stadium.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
You big (lovable) lump, the entire recent conversation has been about Columbus and their stadium.
Oh. I thought we were talking about Q2?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Oh. I thought we were talking about Q2?
Let's agree to disagree on Columbus and not be weird about things lol.

Yes as to Q2 as I originally said I like a smaller and more intimate stadium!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 5:07 PM

Late to the party, but went to my first home game last night, and it was a blast! Not a bad seat in the house and the energy is wild. The fan clubs keep it going the whole time. I am going to have "Alright Alright Alright" stuck in my head for days!

We took the train and everything, my friends who hadn't before said it was like living in a real city. It was a ton of fun seeing all the black and green gathering at the station (Crestview -- and Black Star Co-op was hopping too) and filling the train -- everyone was congenial and friendly because we're all on the same team. It was also funny while we were walking through my neighborhood to the station a middle-aged lady drove past and stopped and rolled down her window to ask if there was a game that night -- I mean, obviously we weren't all wearing jerseys just for a casual night out -- but her excitement was really cute. I've been to pro sports games in big cities, including Houston and Dallas, but in those cases you don't get face-to-face interaction with anyone until you show up at the tailgate. Here, the whole trip felt like a party!

Afterwards we ducked into Hopsquad to wait out the mass exodus for a bit. I will say, having more options immediately around the stadium (hello Verde Square) will help with the dispersal a lot. It's not that the breweries or the Domain are that far, but the crowd gets bottlenecked crossing Braker and on the Braker sidewalk. Also (and I hope this is part of the station redesign?) a way to cross the tracks to the east directly over to Metric would really help, in order to get to the breweries there you have to go al lthe way up Braker to Kramer and then down Metric.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 6:18 PM
Resident Moron

The hop is also the MOST crowded place post-game - its where Los Verdes hang (and Anthem is next door at Circle). But yes, once there is more development and a train station at the stadium its going to be so great.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 7:55 PM

The station will facilitate crossing the tracks to the Delta/Denton/Donnely loop.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 8:14 PM

The Kramer station is going to be closed next season and we'll have to walk from the other side of Top Golf. That'll be annoying.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The Kramer station is going to be closed next season and we'll have to walk from the other side of Top Golf. That'll be annoying.
Take the bus. The 803 drops off and boards at Burnet and Bright Verde. Cap Metro has way more bus capacity than rail capacity. There is no waiting. I've taken it 3 or 4 times now. It is flawless.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Is there yet a target completion date for the stadium rail station?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Who cares! I'd rather walk FIVE MILES to see an AustinFC game than get free tickets and a free limo ride to see the neutered Shorthorns.
Any sport at UT is BORING compared to a game at Q2, and stop and go longhorn football, accentuated with TV or radio commercial breaks every five minutes is about as boring as it can get! There's nothing like the Electricity at Q2 - nonstop ecstacy!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
IIRC it would be ready for the 2023 season so sometime in Q1.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 8:11 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinWimberley View Post
Who cares! I'd rather walk FIVE MILES to see an AustinFC game than get free tickets and a free limo ride to see the neutered Shorthorns.
Any sport at UT is BORING compared to a game at Q2, and stop and go longhorn football, accentuated with TV or radio commercial breaks every five minutes is about as boring as it can get! There's nothing like the Electricity at Q2 - nonstop ecstacy!
WOW! Upset Aggie fan are we? No need for degradation.

I will agree that the atmosphere at Q2 is electric.

Aren't they going to have the additional 1,500 seats (expansion) available for the 2022 season?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 8:25 PM

Quote:
It would be nice if they could at least do that segment of the red line trail (broad moor to Braker). I’m not sure what the hold up is, they have the money.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
WOW! Upset Aggie fan are we? No need for degradation.

I will agree that the atmosphere at Q2 is electric.

Aren't they going to have the additional 1,500 seats (expansion) available for the 2022 season?
There is no news on the expansion.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 9:15 PM

Hopefully the USMNT takes care of business tonight and beats Jamaica. The winner will face Qatar Thursday night at the Q. Will be great global exposure for the Q and Austin with the 2022 World Cup host team playing in the match.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 1:36 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
Hopefully the USMNT takes care of business tonight and beats Jamaica. The winner will face Qatar Thursday night at the Q. Will be great global exposure for the Q and Austin with the 2022 World Cup host team playing in the match.
Yep, they won 1-0 last night.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 1:52 PM

Quote:
There is no news on the expansion.
From what I've heard over the past few months is that there are already some schematic plans on the shelf for the stadium expansion, however, any sort of expansion won't happen any time soon. I'd expect at least 3-5 seasons before they pull the trigger on anything. It seems like the plan would be to focus on some other items right now, including the office tower they're wanting to build on-site. It'll also give them time to feel out the real demand of an expansion as well as lump other various modifications we don't know are needed yet. It has been mentioned that 1,500 may not be enough. Who knows, maybe in a few years talks of expansion at all will seem silly - us Austinites are still deep in the honeymoon phase of our relationship with Austin FC afterall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin