HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaRealtor2021 View Post
Also I just read that a few of the neighborhoods that were left out of the initial process are now back in and they lowered heights of the new overlay District from 16 to 6 or 4 stories what a joke!!!!! Does anybody have any more info on what areas this exactly covers now?
I think you're talking about the Sunshine Mile district from Euclid to Country Club. They had zoned it to be slightly higher but you have some old residents who are afraid of shadows complaining...so they lowered it. Which is just so crazy cause you have some of Tucson's biggest buildings out at Williams Centre and that 5151 Broadway building already along Broadway. But regardless...Sunshine Mile is going to be a HUGE failure in every way. The buildings they saved were not worth saving. They didn't provide the trolley extension to get people there from downtown. Old Steve Kozachik was the one who masterminded bigger sidewalks eliminating space for another lane of traffic or a future trolley line. He makes all the wrong decisions.

As much as we all want tall buildings its just not ever gonna happen. I've been waiting for something since 1986 when they build One South Church. Now you drive through downtown and its mixed-use, mid-rise hell of everything being 5-7 stories max.

I still think public pressure to increase every project in size is the only option.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
I think you're talking about the Sunshine Mile district from Euclid to Country Club. They had zoned it to be slightly higher but you have some old residents who are afraid of shadows complaining...so they lowered it. Which is just so crazy cause you have some of Tucson's biggest buildings out at Williams Centre and that 5151 Broadway building already along Broadway. But regardless...Sunshine Mile is going to be a HUGE failure in every way. The buildings they saved were not worth saving. They didn't provide the trolley extension to get people there from downtown. Old Steve Kozachik was the one who masterminded bigger sidewalks eliminating space for another lane of traffic or a future trolley line. He makes all the wrong decisions.

As much as we all want tall buildings its just not ever gonna happen. I've been waiting for something since 1986 when they build One South Church. Now you drive through downtown and its mixed-use, mid-rise hell of everything being 5-7 stories max.

I still think public pressure to increase every project in size is the only option.
Wow so none of the sunshine mile is going to be zoned for 16 stories now?

Steven K is a bozo I really have a lot of distain for that idiot!!!!

Since our DT footprint is so small already that was our only chance to get some mid rise height and density outside of the current DT core.

Like what does he do besides try to get everything canceled in this town even the UofA got sick of him and let his ass go

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 3:14 AM

Quote:

Yea it sounds like it’s turning into another Tucson failure!!
It would’ve been cool to have the street car run pass those bungalows repurposed for businesses like they’re currently doing and also the new development with those potential mid and low rise mix use building.

They completely dropped the ball by doing this dumb Broadway widening project it’s a complete waste of time and money for an extra lane that nobody wants!!!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 8:41 AM
Skyriser

Bigger sidewalks and bike lanes are what you want. I'm not really sure how Kozachik failed with the Sunshine Mile widening.

The Friedman and Sollet blocks' buildings would likely be illegal to build under any modern zoning code so the fact that they were saved is a good thing. Had they been demolished you would have gotten what Phoenix has seen--midcentury streetfront retail buildings being replaced by corporate crap and fast food huts as a weird side effect of urban gentrification turning the area even more suburban than it already is.

In addition, zoning for highrises without demand is generally a mistake. You get landbanking and teardowns and nothing gets developed as Phoenix has seen. Further complicating matters is that individual parcel ownership complicates things and makes it harder for high-rise lots to assemble and pencil out...

However, four stories is low and I would have probably gone to 7 or 8 to account for modern building codes that extract the most they can out of woodframe construction. People here seem to hate 5 story construction and I freaking love seeing these complexes go up in Phoenix. Schlock is good if you want to have a dynamic street scene.

My recommendation: I would push for the development environment in Tucson to be more predictable and respondent to market demand rather than force private businesses to spend money they either don't or can't spend as has been suggested. Somebody here already asked a developer about this and it's absolutely the problem. I've looked at the zoning code in Tucson and it is far from user-friendly and I can't even imagine the approvals process.

The city just does not give me the sense that it's open for business.

Still, Tucson has a great university, a decent tourism market, the Optics Valley, and is doing pretty well. I again think it's a few years off but the challenges are not insurmountable.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 4:52 PM

[QUOTE=

In addition, zoning for highrises without demand is generally a mistake. You get landbanking and teardowns and nothing gets developed as Phoenix has seen. Further complicating matters is that individual parcel ownership complicates things and makes it harder for high-rise lots to assemble and pencil out...[/QUOTE]

It's economics, for the most part. No developer or financial institution is going to risk investing millions of dollars in skyscraper or forward looking design just because some people demand it.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
It's economics, for the most part. No developer or financial institution is going to risk investing millions of dollars in skyscraper or forward looking design just because some people demand it.
Why when every other city, especially up in Phx/Tempe are building residential high-rises and hotels...but Tucson can't? THE FLIN could have very well narrowed their footprint and built the same amount of apts going up and used less of the valuable TCC land....especially with asking rents topping near $3k a month.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Bigger sidewalks and bike lanes are what you want. I'm not really sure how Kozachik failed with the Sunshine Mile widening.

The Friedman and Sollet blocks' buildings would likely be illegal to build under any modern zoning code so the fact that they were saved is a good thing. Had they been demolished you would have gotten what Phoenix has seen--midcentury streetfront retail buildings being replaced by corporate crap and fast food huts as a weird side effect of urban gentrification turning the area even more suburban than it already is.

In addition, zoning for highrises without demand is generally a mistake. You get landbanking and teardowns and nothing gets developed as Phoenix has seen. Further complicating matters is that individual parcel ownership complicates things and makes it harder for high-rise lots to assemble and pencil out...

However, four stories is low and I would have probably gone to 7 or 8 to account for modern building codes that extract the most they can out of woodframe construction. People here seem to hate 5 story construction and I freaking love seeing these complexes go up in Phoenix. Schlock is good if you want to have a dynamic street scene.

My recommendation: I would push for the development environment in Tucson to be more predictable and respondent to market demand rather than force private businesses to spend money they either don't or can't spend as has been suggested. Somebody here already asked a developer about this and it's absolutely the problem. I've looked at the zoning code in Tucson and it is far from user-friendly and I can't even imagine the approvals process.

The city just does not give me the sense that it's open for business.

Still, Tucson has a great university, a decent tourism market, the Optics Valley, and is doing pretty well. I again think it's a few years off but the challenges are not insurmountable.
1) Kozachik failed Broadway by eliminating a lane therefore eliminating the chance of the trolley expansion down that lane eastward.

2) I understand historic preservation. Saving the Chase Building and Broadway Plaza at Broadway & Country Club is 100% correct. Saving googie-style Welcome Diner (former Sambo's) was a good move. But these other buildings you speak of are insignificant to the amount of money to restore them. And if the city had some kind of architecture requirements and guidelines (like Santa Barbara and Pasadena does) you wouldn't get a mishmash of different buildings and plazas like Phx. But saving these old crumbling buildings with asbestos was a huge waste of money. I also disagree with saving the 4 bungalows and relocating them back away from the street. Not worth the money long term to save 4 houses from an era gone by when they were just houses. You can find those same 4 homes one street back in the neighborhood. There is no reason to force repurpose them. That costs incredible amounts of money to build professional kitchens and exhausts and fire codes, etc.

3) They weren't talking about 16 story buildings down Broadway. Merely 6-8 stories and there is demand for that. They just built THE MARK apartments on Broadway across from Welcome Diner that are 8 stories. The desire and need is there. They cant build housing quick enough but to prohibit that, or even office space which I mentioned is already there...is ridiculous and another form of letting people dictate the progression of a city and it biting us in our behinds a decade+ later. If there is any street to have tall buildings on its Broadway Blvd going to the city centers on the east end.

4) Yes, apparently getting buildings built or approved is a pain in the butt and that needs to stop. I gather its mainly from people like Kozachik who then rally for a few people in his Ward 6 that don't want it. It ruins everything. Tucson is a great city! I think thats why we're all on here trying to give our opinions on how to grow it and make it world-class and make it better. But I can tell you building THE FLIN downtown on TCC property did not help one bit. La Placita had the right concept. But it was old and wonky. They should have built one tall residential HSL tower and the rest should have been restaurants, retail, etc. Where on earth are convention center attendee's supposed to even eat? There is NOTHING around there but a Subway and Bruegger's Bagles all the way over on Congress & Stone. There is just no planning in our downtown. They spent $5m to lure conventions here but if there aren't services around it...these conventions wont come back.

Last edited by AZ71; Sep 26, 2021 at 8:58 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 9:25 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Why when every other city, especially up in Phx/Tempe are building residential high-rises and hotels...but Tucson can't? THE FLIN could have very well narrowed their footprint and built the same amount of apts going up and used less of the valuable TCC land....especially with asking rents topping near $3k a month.
The nature of these buildings like Flinn is that they can get near high-rise density without committing to the materials cost of concrete and steel or the artisan construction workers that can work with it. Carpenters are basically on the lowest end of the construction pay scale. Much cheaper to pay than tower crane operators and ironworkers.

Generally speaking you want these 5 story land gobblers because schlock is cheap and they put people on the ground. I can't wait to see Phoenix in 30 years with all these crap high-density buildings at the end of their service life. In the meantime, every one that goes up increases the demand for the remaining parcels in the area creating a natural build up.

The high-rises that are going up in Phoenix and Tempe are for the most part squat buildings that are built to be sold. And I'm not so sure about "every other city"--Phoenix and Tempe are seeing unusual growth rates fueled by tech backoffice demand. Tucson does not have that.

I've looked at TIA's airport connections and it almost seems with American that they're a backoffice suburb of Texas which is pretty hard to compete with.

My recommendation: Get United (the incumbent carrier in San Francisco) to schedule another flight from SFO so that a tech manager can leave in the morning, have a 2hr15m flight to Tucson, and leave in the evening. Seriously like one extra round trip a day would be a world of difference for the city and compete well against Phoenix for tech backoffice dollars. Even another flight from San Jose scheduled around this time would be useful with Southwest.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 10:26 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
1) Kozachik failed Broadway be eliminating a lane therefore eliminating the chance of the trolley expansion down that lane eastward.
They didn't eliminate a lane, they widened the street. Blank canvas my man.

I was pretty sure any streetcar extensions were to be on Speedway anyways.

Was there some contingent to extend the streetcar on Broadway or what? Most cities don't plan transit on streets this close to each other.

Quote:
2) I understand historic preservation. Saving the Chase Building and Broadway Plaza at Broadway & Country Club is 100% correct. Saving googie-style Welcome Diner (former Sambo's) was a good move. But these other buildings you speak of are insignificant to the amount of money to restore them. And if the city had some kind of architecture requirements and guidelines (like Santa Barbara and Pasadena does) you wouldn't get a mishmash of different buildings and plazas like Phx. But saving these old crumbling buildings with asbestos was a huge waste of money. I also disagree with saving the 4 bungalows and relocating them back away from the street. Not worth the money long term to save 4 houses from an era gone by when they were just houses. You can find those same 4 homes one street back in the neighborhood. There is no reason to force repurpose them. That costs incredible amounts of money to build professional kitchens and exhausts and fire codes, etc.
With historic preservation, I often defer to the Jane Jacobs approach that any old building is worth saving.

What's the alternative? Demolishing them and letting the crummy market catch up?

Having a rentable building with character is a good thing. Those buildings can't get rented any faster in Phoenix.

Those same bungalows were the guts of the Roosevelt Arts District's commercial activities and are often repurposed for the same.

The other part was rehabbing the buildings was the best way to mitigate the impact of the street widening itself.

Honestly my take is that preserving those buildings after a condemnation proceeding was incredibly forward thinking and not at all a regression.

Quote:
3) They weren't talking about 16 story buildings down Broadway. Merely 6-8 stories and there is demand for that. They just built THE MARK apartments on Broadway across from Welcome Diner that are 8 stories. The desire and need is there. They cant build housing quick enough but to prohibit that, or even office space which I mentioned is already there...is ridiculous and another form of letting people dictate the progression of a city and it biting us in our behinds a decade+ later. If there is any street to have tall buildings on its Broadway Blvd going to the city centers on the east end.
I thought I read 16 stories was contemplated and the neighborhoods relegated it to 4.

I did say that 4 was too low and 6 - 8 is respondent to market demands with modern building codes.

The Mark, however, is... downright terrible.

Unscreened garage on the perimeter, overly wide unusable setbacks with needless atrociously ugly fencing, no pedestrian entrances on its whole length on Broadway, weird stepped back massing... The thing is literally the worst modern building I've ever seen.

It seems like it tries to comprehend 2020 buildings with 1980s Tucson design standards and fails at even that. I cannot even imagine the hell the developers went through to do that, and if that was intentional everyone involved should be fired. If that went through design review and approved that committee should be straight up sent to prison.

I can't even imagine the design choices that went into this. It's like somebody took the worst of dated Scottsdale urban design and injected it with a cocktail of crack and meth. Like, I kind of get it ... it "fits" in the urban nightmare of Broadway ... in the worst possibly designed street ever. A street that makes an absolute mockery of the desert it's supposed to preserve.

James Howard Kunstler would have a field day about this "nature bandaid."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jBMP7mjmno&t=652s

Quote:
4) Yes, apparently getting buildings built or approved is a pain in the butt and that needs to stop. I gather its mainly from people like Kozachik who then rally for a few people in his Ward 6 that don't want it. It ruins everything. Tucson is a great city! I think thats why we're all on here trying to give our opinions on how to grow it and make it world-class and make it better. But I can tell you building THE FLIN downtown on TCC property did not help one bit. La Placita has the right concept. But it was old and wonky. They should have built one tall residential HSL tower and the rest should have been restaurants, retail, etc. Where on earth are convention center attendee's supposed to even eat? There is NOTHING around there but a Subway and Bruegger's Bagles all the way over on Congress & Stone. There is just no planning in our downtown. They spent $5m to lure conventions here but if there aren't services around it...they wont come back.
I don't think it's about Kozachik in particular. I definitely think he's the byproduct of his ward however because that's almost always how things happen. The problems I'm seeing are with city staff themselves and a general mentality that somehow approves crap like The Mark and everyone, including Kozachik's district thinks this is ok.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 11:58 PM

I personally feel indifferent on a few of the points made in here..For 1) I don’t see the Broadway widening project as a good use of not only funds but functionality IMO its a complete waste of money, time, business disruption, and business/ land acquisitions that they needed just to add 6 foot wide sidewalks and or wider bike lanes (not even separated bike lanes which is what the bicycle community asked for) and adding a third lane is asinine we are trying to get people out of their cars and use public transportation not make it more comfortable for cars heading into downtown.
2) I should’ve been more in-depth earlier I think saving the bungalows was a great idea even though they are like ever other bungalow in the area, really expensive to move and rehab but it’s a unique idea. The Friedman and Sollet blocks was a great idea that they got right forsure! These three plans gives you a sense of place/place making.
3) I’ll be honest I don’t know a lot about city codes but I do know where there’s a will there’s a way and when a developer see’s money they will work around it.
Unfortunately Tucson is historically known for being not open for business & not business friendly we have chipped away at that some with our former mayor Rothschild but we still have work to do.
4)If we were going to have any street car extension it needed to be down Broadway first it makes sense that is exactly the whole point of the Rio Nuevo tax district all the way from downtown to the park place mall. The whole point I thought of the sunshine mile was to add more businesses and higher density residential to generate taxes for the district overall???? I think it’s pretty clear we don’t have very much available land to begin with I was never mistaken they were going to have 16 story buildings from downtowns core all the way down to the east side but having buildings above eight stories makes sense on Broadway just adjacent to DT’s core.
5) As far as new builds are concerned they’re all ugly and stale, I think we can all agree on that but it is what it is I’d rather have something than nothing and as long as we continue to let Steve and the few old timers/ NIMBY’S we are not going to see much progress.

Last edited by ZonaRealtor2021; Sep 26, 2021 at 7:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
The nature of these buildings like Flinn is that they can get near high-rise density without committing to the materials cost of concrete and steel or the artisan construction workers that can work with it. Carpenters are basically on the lowest end of the construction pay scale. Much cheaper to pay than tower crane operators and ironworkers.

Generally speaking you want these 5 story land gobblers because schlock is cheap and they put people on the ground. I can't wait to see Phoenix in 30 years with all these crap high-density buildings at the end of their service life. In the meantime, every one that goes up increases the demand for the remaining parcels in the area creating a natural build up.

The high-rises that are going up in Phoenix and Tempe are for the most part squat buildings that are built to be sold. And I'm not so sure about "every other city"--Phoenix and Tempe are seeing unusual growth rates fueled by tech backoffice demand. Tucson does not have that.

I've looked at TIA's airport connections and it almost seems with American that they're a backoffice suburb of Texas which is pretty hard to compete with.

My recommendation: Get United (the incumbent carrier in San Francisco) to schedule another flight from SFO so that a tech manager can leave in the morning, have a 2hr15m flight to Tucson, and leave in the evening. Seriously like one extra round trip a day would be a world of difference for the city and compete well against Phoenix for tech backoffice dollars. Even another flight from San Jose scheduled around this time would be useful with Southwest.
We did have one on SW into Oakland to start up in March of this year and before the first flight they canceled the whole route.

Also Alaska Airlines canceled the direct nonstop flight from San Jose to Tucson as well.

It’s unfortunate that Tucsonans would rather drive & waste their time to head up to sky harbor to save $50 -$100 bucks & when you think about it you really don’t save much whether you do the shuttles or drive plus the airport parking fee’s & gas.

Our airport catchment population is around 1.3 million if I remember the article correctly and it should be able to sustain more flights then we currently do. I believe TIA says they lose around 1 million passengers a year to sky harbor.

Not sure how we can change that?? We are still the largest metro without a direct flight to the New York City metropolitan area!!! it’s so sad.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 10:06 AM

Little love burger & Depot plaza update

I just read today in the Star that Scott Steitler is developing a second boutique hotel on the Depot Plaza block, maybe this is what Fletcher was talking about when he said Marriott was committed to a DT location on the Buckmaster show??

Also he talks about developing little love burger ( in the former Diablo Burger location) which is the precursor to the 12,000 square-foot love burger project that is currently under construction in the Corbett block development to come online next summer.

He’s playing off how Café Poca Costa’ s and Little Poca Cosa was done…

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 2:47 PM

"Not sure how we can change that?? We are still the largest metro without a direct flight to the New York City metropolitan area!!! it’s so sad."

Economics, again. JetBlue, United, and Continental all tried nonstop flights to New York. United also had nonstop flights to Dulles Airport, and American nonstop to their Charlotte hub. The bottom line is, airlines are looking for a steady load of high fare paying business travelers to sustain the flights. Tucson can't provide those types of passengers, so even if flight is 100% filled with deeply discounted travelers, that's not viable, to the airline bean counters.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
I just read today in the Star that Scott Steitler is developing a second boutique hotel on the Depot Plaza block, maybe this is what Fletcher was talking about when he said Marriott was committed to a DT location on the Buckmaster show??
Isn't that where they were originally going to put the Moxy before they moved it several times and it dropped off the radar?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
Isn't that where they were originally going to put the Moxy before they moved it several times and it dropped off the radar?
I thought they determined they couldn't build a hotel on top of that empty land because its the top of the parking structure. So thats why they proposed that weird Moxy Hotel combo building on top of the Rialto that quickly got cancelled too. I think that land will always be empty or the yearly ice rink or something. Should probably just turn it into a park instead of the gravel lot it is.

Last edited by AZ71; Sep 26, 2021 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 9:26 PM

Quote:
They didn't eliminate a lane, they widened the street. Blank canvas my man.

I was pretty sure any streetcar extensions were to be on Speedway anyways.

Was there some contingent to extend the streetcar on Broadway or what? Most cities don't plan transit on streets this close to each other.

With historic preservation, I often defer to the Jane Jacobs approach that any old building is worth saving.

What's the alternative? Demolishing them and letting the crummy market catch up?

Having a rentable building with character is a good thing. Those buildings can't get rented any faster in Phoenix.

Those same bungalows were the guts of the Roosevelt Arts District's commercial activities and are often repurposed for the same.

The other part was rehabbing the buildings was the best way to mitigate the impact of the street widening itself.

Honestly my take is that preserving those buildings after a condemnation proceeding was incredibly forward thinking and not at all a regression.

I thought I read 16 stories was contemplated and the neighborhoods relegated it to 4.

I did say that 4 was too low and 6 - 8 is respondent to market demands with modern building codes.

The Mark, however, is... downright terrible.

Unscreened garage on the perimeter, overly wide unusable setbacks with needless atrociously ugly fencing, no pedestrian entrances on its whole length on Broadway, weird stepped back massing... The thing is literally the worst modern building I've ever seen.

It seems like it tries to comprehend 2020 buildings with 1980s Tucson design standards and fails at even that. I cannot even imagine the hell the developers went through to do that, and if that was intentional everyone involved should be fired. If that went through design review and approved that committee should be straight up sent to prison.

I can't even imagine the design choices that went into this. It's like somebody took the worst of dated Scottsdale urban design and injected it with a cocktail of crack and meth. Like, I kind of get it ... it "fits" in the urban nightmare of Broadway ... in the worst possibly designed street ever. A street that makes an absolute mockery of the desert it's supposed to preserve.

James Howard Kunstler would have a field day about this "nature bandaid."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jBMP7mjmno&t=652s

I don't think it's about Kozachik in particular. I definitely think he's the byproduct of his ward however because that's almost always how things happen. The problems I'm seeing are with city staff themselves and a general mentality that somehow approves crap like The Mark and everyone, including Kozachik's district thinks this is ok.
'

They definitely elininated a lane, or the center lane that would have housed the trolley. I'll find the news article about it and Kozachik. And Broadway has ALWAYS been the street to expand the trolley or mass transit. You can go back into RTA plans from the past 20 years and see that was their concept. It still is. That is why its so baffling this trolley expansion isn't happening simultaneously. Thats why the trolley ends at Broadway before it turns left to get back to 4th. Its designed to go east. Speedway has never been on any master expansion plan.

THE MARK turned into a disaster because of the neighborhood requirements. It was just a normal 8 story building but the residents complained so much that 8 stories along Broadway would be too high. So they compromised on a stairstep design so it looks smaller driving on Broadway and it became back heavy to 8 stories to disguise it. I'm happy the developers stayed with it. Even after it was burned down from arson. But all these design compromises you can 100% blame on these resident meetings. Again, neighborhoods shouldn't have this much power in the development of a city. Its on freaking Broadway Blvd. But in the end...I'd rather have more housing for people with less lawns and urban sprawl in their design. I've seen far uglier buildings...like THE FLIN. Talk about 80s. I'm surprised there isn't a neon "THE FLIN" sign on the outside.

And while I think Broadway is pretty hideous from Euclid to Country Club (mainly to me trying to save these old plazas just cause they're built in 1950s) but the ugliest street in all of Tucson is Grant Rd to me. From I-10 to Park. And then Tucson Blvd to Swan. Its hideous. Entire street and all the buildings on either side should have been leveled. Actually..they should have made Grant a freeway and apparently it was one of the options before they chickened out and just widened it. They were thinking of doing a depressed freeway or a road with grade-separated intersections. But as always...community people screamed...cause ya know...Grant & Alvernon is such a beautiful intersection to be preserved.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 10:49 PM

Exactly when Jet Blue pulled out of Tucson in 2008 because of low profit margin‘s Tucson had an average of just under 500 people a day heading to the New York City market.
12 years later I hear that’s almost double I know that the meat and potatoes of airlines is Business travelers. I feel Tucson can sustain a flight now over 12 years after the fact. I feel that we have more business ( pre COVID) that would sustain something like that if it was the right airline. The reason why American Airlines didn’t work out was because it was too big of an aircraft & it was eating into the profit margin‘s not to mention travelers were still willing to drive up to Phoenix for that extra $50/$100 dollar savings instead of flying local.

During the 2008 inside Tucson business article it talks about why Jet Blue is leaving and why Albuquerque and Ontario were able to keep their flights.

I believe Tucson like Albuquerque currently has can sustained a flight to New York City if it’s just a few days out the week but year-round not seasonal.

Tucson situation is unique in that it is less than 120 miles away & less than a 2 Hour drive from such a major airport like sky harbor it prevents TIA from really having any ability to grow.

Last edited by ZonaRealtor2021; Sep 26, 2021 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
Yeah exactly that’s why I’m super confused as to why the article read that they were going back to that location but maybe they figured out a way to work with the garage situation or they dropped it down considerably in height?

I was hoping they were going to say it was about the dormant HSL property Hotel Arizona, I wish we could get that up and going!!! I’m sure the Hyatt Regency is never going to happen.

Just a thought but could you turn the hotel into residential or is that not a viable option? I know they’re trying to build an eight story condominium tower next to it where they tore some of it down, but how about the whole 13 story structure itself??

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah exactly that’s why I’m super confused as to why the article read that they were going back to that location but maybe they figured out a way to work with the garage situation or they dropped it down considerably in height?

I was hoping they were going to say it was about the dormant HSL property Hotel Arizona, I wish we could get that up and going!!! I’m sure the Hyatt Regency is never going to happen.

Just a thought but could you turn the hotel into residential or is that not a viable option? I know they’re trying to build an eight story condominium tower next to it where they tore some of it down, but how about the whole 13 story structure itself??
Where are you reading the Moxy is back on at the Depot Plaza? I cant find any info on that.

HSL just sold two of its apartment complexes last week getting them about $160M. Maybe they'll use some of that money to get the AZ Hotel project moving.

I've never heard of this 8-story condo proposal on the garage lot west of the AZ Hotel. Ugh...another mixed-use building. Everything the same height. I've always thought since that corner is kind of a gateway corner into the city they could develop some kind of retail, restaurant, entertainment concept with residential on top of it. There is nowhere to eat downtown on the downslope towards the freeway. Where do you go if you're attending a convention? No where for the Gov't Buildings across the street. It's such a missed opportunity.

I envision something like these:

Or even add onto the AZ Hotel with a mixed-use place so it looks like one cohesive structure:

But you know we're just gonna get a duplicate of the FLIN.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Where are you reading the Moxy is back on at the Depot Plaza? I cant find any info on that.
Yesterday's Star didn't mention Moxy specifically, just that a boutique hotel was being developed at that spot:
"Loveblock bought Diablo Burger and its sister Good Oak Bar at 316 E. Congress in August as part of the company’s overall mission to continue revitalizing downtown. The company also is developing a second boutique hotel on the so-called Depot Plaza Block, one of four blocks Steitler’s company owns."

Full article here.

Not sure if this is something new, or if they are referencing old information.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest