HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 11:54 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Isn't that in Orlando, it's I believe one of the if not the tallest in the city.
That's what I posted. Get it. I'm the King of New York.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 2:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlman5 View Post
If we take a more historical perspective I would say the pyramids have definitely been more iconic than the twin towers, but if we are strictly talking about today, I don't think its a stretch to say that the twin towers are as recognizable as the pyramids to most people.

Secondly, and more importantly, it seems to me you are implying that twin towers were some how less great than the pyramids because they collapsed merely because airplanes crashed into them. I'm pretty sure the pyramids, and virtually every other icon mentioned on this thread would have been utterly devastated by a similar attack.
i dont think an airliner crashing into the pyramids would do much

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 2:13 AM
Khurram Parvaz

A plane crashing into the pyramids is as nonsensical as saying a plane crashed into the Pentagon. Planes can't hit such low structures one only 400 some feet tall, and the other the most protected building in the world.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 2:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
A plane crashing into the pyramids is as nonsensical as saying a plane crashed into the Pentagon. Planes can't hit such low structures one only 400 some feet tall, and the other the most protected building in the world.
what

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick. View Post
what
Can't get it.

-------------------------
computer recycling nyc | dod compliant data scrubbing

Last edited by itamshredding; Jan 27, 2012 at 3:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 4:05 AM

Quote:
That's pretty racist, I know many muslims who know and loved the Twins, and wished they could see them in person.
Excuse me? Islam is not a race. What race am I discriminating against?

Actually, who am I discriminating against at all? I simply said that there are some in the Muslim world (i.e. quite a few Afghanis) who are unaware 9/11 even occurred, or are only vaguely aware of it. This is well documented.

Quote:
If a plane can hit the ground, it can hit the pentagon. Ever taken off from DCA? Planes frequently fly right over the pentagon during takeoff.

I'm not even going to ask where this argument started.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 10:01 PM
Khurram Parvaz

That was a better way to paraphrase it. "Many Afganis don't know 9/11 didn't happen", is not racist, but it's so DAMN stupid. The whole point of the WAR IN AFGHANISTAN is because of what? Tell me. Oh 9/11 WOW I'm so damn smart. So I'm sure a country going through war for the past 10 years and 96 days doesn't know the cause {(16 of the 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia)}. Uhmm 9/11.

Oh, well what I meant to say was how in the blue hell can an airplane make a 330-degree turn and hit the Pentagon. If it seems a bit odd with the Pentagon, then it'll be pretty hard to do with the Pyramids.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 2:20 AM

lets face it, the new kid on the block in Dubai has got to be the greatest skyscraper ever built. then i would say the bow in calgary because its just got to many sweet things going on.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post

http://otherworldmystery.com/where-i...-great-pyramid
This is how they looked originally, white with glimmering capstones. They were mystery temples.
my feeling is, the Bosnian pyramids are going to wash over anything else that remotely resembles a pyramid. they are the largest structures ever built by man. up to this very day. look out for the Bosnian pyramids they are going to turn history on its ear. being more than 35,000 yrs old and all. not to mention the pyramid of the sun being near 800 ft tall. wow! they used concrete to construct them and the concrete is over 5 times as hard as the stuff we used on the base of the new tallest in Dubai. think about that. they had some real high tech stuff going on back then.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 2:27 AM

Quote:
I agree and disagree with you.

That's pretty racist, I know many muslims who know and loved the Twins, and wished they could see them in person. 9/11 as we all know wasn't easy on the muslim world. You didn't include Africa, which is mostly desert, no communications, and many people there have to worry about FGM to even have a clue about America. So you were being really vague about the amount of people that do and don't know about the Twin Towers.

Oh the split side this thread is boring (no offense). Everyone's commented and said, either ESB, Eiffel, Pyramid, Tower of Pisa, and THE SUNTRUST CENTER. So lets move on. I think this thread has lived a good life of about a week.
gack!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 4:33 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^ What's gack. The part about Muslims, FGM, or the SUNTRUST CENTER.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 9:48 PM

Pretty much everything you said.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 4:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlman5 View Post
it seems to me you are implying that twin towers were some how less great than the pyramids because they collapsed merely because airplanes crashed into them. I'm pretty sure the pyramids ......... would have been utterly devastated by a similar attack.

you think a commercial jetliner impact would "utterly destroy" one of the giza pyramids? seriously? they're solid stone masonry, a commercial jetliner flying into the pyramids would be akin to a bird splattering on your windshield driving down the highway. you would need forces FAR MORE POWERFUL than a commercial jetliner impact can generate to "utterly destroy" the giza pyramids.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 5:31 PM
BANNED

^^^ I've read that the pyramids are one of the few man made objects that would be nearly unaffected by a direct strike from a nuclear weapon. Obviously stone isn't going to just melt or crumble in a thermonuclear explosion (though the surface or sand might melt covering the structure in a layer of glass), but more importantly the shape of the pyramids would defect any direct hit away from the structure in all directions thus avoiding the absorbing of most of the energy.

One of the Cold War "myths" was that a nuclear winter would occur and wipe out all traces of human civilization beyond the Pyramids and a few other monumental structures.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 8:53 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ Given that the 1954 "Operation Bravo" detonation on Nam Island in the Bikini Atoll produced a 6,500-foot-wide (2,000M) crater, you might want to rethink that assumption.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 10:20 PM
BANNED

^^^ There's a wee bit of difference between the structural integrity of waterlogged sand/coral and that of limestone and granite blocks. Also, the bikini atoll is pretty much flat while the theories I heard suggested that the pyramids would survive with almost no damage because their shape would deflect some of the energy. I also think the premise was that it was a Nagisaki or Hiroshima sized warhead, not the largest detonation ever set off by the United States (which was Castle Bravo, the hydrogen bomb you are mentioning) which was many many times more powerful than 99% of all nuclear weapons produced.

Edit: also, Castle Bravo was detonated barely above ground level. Any nuke fired at the pyramid wouldn't be suspended a few dozen feet above the Pyramid, it would have to detonate in the atmosphere just above the pyramid which would certainly reduce the amount of damage it could deal.

Even assuming a Bravo sized bomb mounted on top of the pyramid with no deflection from the shape of the structure, at 250' wide crater would only be enough to blast a little more than the top half of the pyramid away as the Pyramid is about 450' tall. So, now that I do the math, I think the theory I heard is probably right. Even the most powerful bomb in the American arsenal could only blow up half of the pyramid of Giza, max. The Tsar Bomba might be able to do more damage though as it was 3x more powerful.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 3:40 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Hopefully, no one will ever know if a nuke could completely level a pyramid though I don't think they would be 'nearly unaffected' should someone one lob an ICBM into the side of one.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 3:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

atomic explosives and their effects on solid stone masonry structures aside, i think we can all agree that a commercial jetliner crashing into one of the giza pyramids would have minimal effect on them.

typical mass of a loaded 747 - 400 tonnes.

mass of the pyramid of khufu - 5,900,000 tonnes.

the mass differential is ASTOUNDING! even if the 747 is flying at full speed into the pyramid, there just isn't enough energy to move much, if any, of that stone.

and let's also remember, that the WTC twins were structurally sound enough to survive the jetliner crashes, it was the subsequent fires that brought them down. however, the pyramids are solid stone masonry structures. stone essentially fireproofs itself, unlike the structural steel that failed in the WTC disaster.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 3:27 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
my feeling is, the Bosnian pyramids are going to wash over anything else that remotely resembles a pyramid. they are the largest structures ever built by man. up to this very day. look out for the Bosnian pyramids they are going to turn history on its ear. being more than 35,000 yrs old and all. not to mention the pyramid of the sun being near 800 ft tall. wow! they used concrete to construct them and the concrete is over 5 times as hard as the stuff we used on the base of the new tallest in Dubai. think about that. they had some real high tech stuff going on back then.
The Bosnian "Pyramids" are mountains into which a 'historian' has planted archeological fragments from other sites to trick the less-than-critical.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 3:27 PM
BANNED

^^^ Yeah, that much I think is pretty obvious. The worst a jetliner could do is maybe scratch the top layer of rocks off, but basically it would splatter like a bug. Just look at the "crater" left by Flight 93. That was just dirt and it made a pit that was at most 10 feet or so deep. Now imagine the same type of crash, but with solid stone...

I find that a lot of people who haven't actually seen the pyramids tend to underestimate just how ridiculously massive they are. I mean the Great Pyramid is essentially half way to being a supertall and is far wider than any skyscraper you'd ever see. They really are man made mountains.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture