HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
I think the additional retail along the street is a huge improvement to the project.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Another small change that makes a big difference is the improvements to the on-site sidewalk connectivity compared to the first site plan.
I am not sure what improvements to the on-site sidewalk connectivity you are seeing compared to the previous site plan (unless there is was an even older one than the one below).

One change I would like to see is to have the sidewalk on the east side of the driveway setback a bit so that snow plowed off of the driveway won't get pushed onto the sidewalk. By lining the strip between them with trees, it will also help keep the speed down on the driveway (not that it is long enough for people to build up much speed) and will make the sidewalk nicer to walk on.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 2:42 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Updated design (June 2022)

Notably, the east tower has been moved significantly northward on its podium.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:30 AM

Ottawa's Western CharcWhite Gateway™

Are Neuf and RLA in cahoots? Joint race to the bottom? This project looks like Andaz on Steroids x2.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Ottawa's Western CharcWhite Gateway™

Are Neuf and RLA in cahoots? Joint race to the bottom? This project looks like Andaz on Steroids x2.
Yeah, reminds me a lot of the Lees/Robinson proposal; bunch of 30-ish floor modern commie blocks.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 2:23 PM

This file will be up for discussion on next week's Planning Committee meeting on September 6th.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 2:29 PM

Such a shame they didn't plan for LRT out to the Kanata Centrum. It would serve so many businesses, residents, and commuters. Oh well, guess there will be a lot of parking with these projects, ensuring they are as car-centric as possible.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Such a shame they didn't plan for LRT out to the Kanata Centrum. It would serve so many businesses, residents, and commuters. Oh well, guess there will be a lot of parking with these projects, ensuring they are as car-centric as possible.
Isn’t stage 3 of the LRT planned to have a station at Terry Fox in the centrum?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
It goes to Centrum in stage 3. I'm pissed that they insist on having it completely skip from March to Centrum with no stop in between (I also think it should run along Campeau which is plenty wide enough but we MUST have grade separation, we must hide public transit from view, even in the burbs.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNacho View Post
This file will be up for discussion on next week's Planning Committee meeting on September 6th.
How much you want to bet the discussion will be about dropping it to 25/27 floors?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperaccount View Post
It goes to Centrum in stage 3. I'm pissed that they insist on having it completely skip from March to Centrum with no stop in between (I also think it should run along Campeau which is plenty wide enough but we MUST have grade separation, we must hide public transit from view, even in the burbs.
1) the idea that the trunk line transit system should be at grade is what got us into this mess both on the cancelled north south plan and the current confederation line.... So how about no unless we're talking about a system with significantly less capacity, at which point BRT might be fine.

2) there is a plan for a stop at Kanata town centre....

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 12:36 AM

Approved by Planning Committee.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 1:39 PM

These will be a good primer for newcomers arriving from the West, a dose of the sea of monochromatic brick to come

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 1:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperaccount View Post
Won’t there be a station at Kanata Lakes by the pedestrian overpass of the 417?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 1:55 PM

consistent with the other ugly buildings in the area.. just with a little more height. Gross.. so disappointing but totally expected.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
consistent with the other ugly buildings in the area.. just with a little more height. Gross.. so disappointing but totally expected.
Truly an architectural Wasteland

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 2:22 PM

The style and design of these towers is bland and very Ottawa-esque. But personally, the most disappointing thing is the layout and overall plan for this area. They are all disjointed towers-in-a-park with lots of roads, drop-off circles, etc... making it extremely car-centric and unpleasant to walk around.

If all of these new towers and the Kanata Centrum could've been built with a master plan in mind, we could've potentially had a nice, urban little vibe for Kanata. All buildings along the streets, street-level retail, pleasant and efficient walking experience between buildings, retail, parks, etc... But no..

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
The style and design of these towers is bland and very Ottawa-esque. But personally, the most disappointing thing is the layout and overall plan for this area. They are all disjointed towers-in-a-park with lots of roads, drop-off circles, etc... making it extremely car-centric and unpleasant to walk around.

If all of these new towers and the Kanata Centrum could've been built with a master plan in mind, we could've potentially had a nice, urban little vibe for Kanata. All buildings along the streets, street-level retail, pleasant and efficient walking experience between buildings, retail, parks, etc... But no..
It may be badly planned, but at least it's consistently badly planned - right?

Here's an interesting fact - the name Kanata is commonly thought to be a St. Lawrence Iroquoian word meaning "village" or "settlement".

But actually - that's a miss-translation. It's a complex idea - but roughly translates as "I'm sorry for how ugly the village is, we were in a rush, and just threw it together without thinking."

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecyo View Post
It may be badly planned, but at least it's consistently badly planned - right?

Here's an interesting fact - the name Kanata is commonly thought to be a St. Lawrence Iroquoian word meaning "village" or "settlement".

But actually - that's a miss-translation. It's a complex idea - but roughly translates as "I'm sorry for how ugly the village is, we were in a rush, and just threw it together without thinking."
And the developers were given the power to veto decisions made by the chief and elders about the developers plans?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 9:25 PM

The site plan control documents have disappeared from dev apps. I am pretty sure they were there before. I presume site plan control is now approved so there is nothing left for construction not to proceed except the wim of Claridge. My recollection of the Claridge pipeline means this project and East Flats tower 2 are shovel ready.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 10:42 PM

I'm so excited for more wild and wacky charcoal and beige brick patterns!!!!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs