HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 1:59 PM

19 Bloor West | 317.4m | 99s | Reserve Properties | Arcadis

Some angles from @steveve.

steveve

steveve

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 2:17 PM

Nice work, I hate this building. If it was a block away it might be fine but it's going to block out a really fine building with what looks like boring cookie-cutter architecture.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Nice work, I hate this building. If it was a block away it might be fine but it's going to block out a really fine building with what looks like boring cookie-cutter architecture.
My thoughts exactly!!! what a shame.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 9:04 PM

I wish the city would impose more design regulations the taller you go.

Last edited by TorontoDrew; Apr 5, 2024 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 1:39 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

This is illustrative of the problem with Toronto's precedent-based zoning/height limits: rather than spacing out towers more naturally - and thereby creating peaks & valleys in the skyline, giving then room to breathe, and highlighting landmarks - you end up with clumps of similar-height towers are all grouped together. The landmark buildings inevitably fading into the mass.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 7:43 PM

A good excuse for some spring aerials. @TwinHuey's drone has been all over the map since nesting for a long time in the Lower Don Lands.

656 Danforth Avenue | 160.73m | 49s | Del Boca Vista Properties Inc | Studio JCI l pre-construction

If this giant on low-rise Danforth Avenue wins the appeal at OLT, I’m pretty sure it would be the tallest ever designed by the great firm Studio JCI (not to mention a big culture shock to the neighbourhood ;-).

UT

Aerials of the nabe:

TwinHuey

TwinHuey

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 6:41 PM

110 Adelaide Street East | 217.6m | 65s | Stafford | Arcadis l pre-construction

This one back and smashing through the 200 metre metric… 23 storeys taller than the first submission. Not sure if this an homage to HPA's 1 Bloor East... or just a rip-off lol.

UT

UT

UT

UT

The back door.

UT

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 1:51 PM
I am the law!

One Bloor knockoff on a loft building knockoff. Touching all the bases but, lacks the artistry in architecture. Unlikely to be built so it makes sense.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 9:17 PM

34 Maitland | 183m | 56s | Hazelview | Turner Fleischer l Approved

This 600 footer with all rental suites was approved by City Council. More than 500 rentals... build it!

UT

UT

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 9:36 PM
Volatile Pacivist

That Adelaide St. one is just crazy. It would be bad enough if they were copying a storied, iconic building but another condo tower completed less than a decade ago? The podium is kind of nice though.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 10:57 PM
recession proof

Six hundred rentals starting from $2500 for 295sqft: great, I've got a new inflatable mattress and 6 cousins from Batala who are studying bsGPT and will be working in my uncle's gold refinery/jewelry shop on Church Street. My dream is to expand the business to Chambersburg PA, where I hear the truckers got it good! (The shawarma sure is good here.)

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 1:20 PM

793 Don Mills | 202m | 60s | Menkes | Sweeny&Co l pre-construction

This huge make-over in Don Mills seemed close to a settlement agreement but now appears destined to face the OLT. A case merit hearing isn’t even scheduled until late October so who knows when this may move forward. 60, 57, 50 and 45 storeys and more than 2600 condos … surely there could be some rentals in the mix here.

UT

UT

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
110 Adelaide Street East | 217.6m | 65s | Stafford | Arcadis l pre-construction

This one back and smashing through the 200 metre metric… 23 storeys taller than the first submission. Not sure if this an homage to HPA's 1 Bloor East... or just a rip-off lol.

UT
I think the tower is fine, I kind of like the podium, however they look like separate designs. I hope it gets sent back to the drawing board. This is a great location for a tall thin tower though. People on the south side will be guaranteed great views for life.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I think the tower is fine, I kind of like the podium
Gee Drew... what are u smokin'?

My thoughts from UT:

A 200 metre+ tower over-looking the historic St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood with some unique colour palette references nearby like Market Square (yellow and red brick), the St. Lawrence Hall national historic site (fine masonry work with a domed cupola), St. James Cathedral (yellow) … along with a number of other heritage and new buildings utilizing red and orange brick tones.

And what does Arcadis offer up… a tower that looks like their garbage up in Vaughan. Click me to see.

I slapped together a 15 second make-over of SvN’s original (shorter) design which is a perfect fit for the nabe. Solution: fire Arcadis and rehire SvN.

3D

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 5:14 PM
I am the law!

Why a high lot coverage plus 200 metre tower here in the first place? This is a quarter to a third taller than Spire and probably 5 to 10 times as dense with Spire's city park included in the calculation. Spire was a special circumstance including a rare density transfer. Planning that is completely obsolete in as little as 25 years is insanity.

Your choice is much better than the One Bloor knockoff on a mid rise loft. That Don Mills proposal is awful. People warehousing next to a light rail station at its finest.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 6:01 PM

Now I want to slap something together more appropriately designed for the location.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 6:02 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

It's less than a block away from 100 Lombard and a similar height...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 6:17 PM

Two tall Originate projects were recently approved. New renderings below:

Yonge & Rosehill | 172.3m | 50s | Originate | Moriyama Teshima Architects l Approved

Near Yonge and St. Clair. I like this latest version with the step-backs/cut-outs and colour palette much better than the initial (boring) design.

UT

Previous design:

UT

Jarvis & Earl Place | 198.89m | 58s | Originate | Kirkor l Approved

Just a metre shy (like many others ;-) of the 200 metre ’scraper metric. A mix of rentals and condos north of Wellesley on Jarvis.

UT

Previous (clumsy/busy) design:

UT

Last edited by Maldive; Apr 19, 2024 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 6:18 PM
Fake News

95% of Toronto condo proposals look the same. I can't even distinguish them anymore.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 6:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Remember the days when announcement of a 50 storey condo tower in Toronto would be the talk of SSP for weeks? Now they are seemingly a dime a dozen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada