HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I'm more surprised that Amazon hasn't really started rolling out EDVs in Canada, given how expensive gas is and how cheap electricity is, relative to most of the US.
Amazon has slowed deployment in the US, hence Rivian offering the EDV to other fleets.

But, especially in BC it makes sense. Maybe the distribution centres don't have the electricity capacity right now.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:25 PM

Quote:
I'm more surprised that Amazon hasn't really started rolling out EDVs in Canada, given how expensive gas is and how cheap electricity is, relative to most of the US.
Amazon doesn't really have a fleet in Canada, they have a ton of third party contractors (some who operate fleets, most who are just single owner-operators).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Amazon doesn't really have a fleet in Canada, they have a ton of third party contractors (some who operate fleets, most who are just single owner-operators).
They have a fleet in Vancouver (not yet EVs). Slightly smaller in January.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:41 PM

Quote:
I thought the original intention in ordering so many EDVs was to actually replace a lot of those contractors or place the vans with them.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 10:18 PM
recession proof

Rivian keeps going down, hitting $8.40 today. I could see it becoming a dollar stock soon since really what good news is there to share? If CyberTruck is selling so slow they've reduced production how can Rivian expect to survive?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I thought th.e original intention in ordering so many EDVs was to actually replace a lot of those contractors or place the vans with them.
All they really have done is somewhat replaced outsourced courier companies with independent contractors who now work out of Amazon facilities. I say somewhat because they still have a ton of volume moving through Purolator, Intelcom and other smaller regional couriers, as well as Canada Post (I even had a larger item delivered through Fedex a few months ago despite Fedex so publicly bragging they were dropping Amazon) Their intent at one point was to create a model similar to Fedex Ground, where the owner-operators buy a company-branded truck (or multiple trucks if the runs are available and the o-o has the financial capacity). What basically seems to be happening is they are having companies like Go Logistics coming in and essentially manage a delivery station that has 70 or 80 drivers that they employ (and pay crap rates to).

Part of this might be because, as Fedex found out, just because you say someone is an independent contractor doesn't mean the government agrees if they are wearing a company uniform, driving a branded truck that is parked at the company facility and are only allowed to use that truck for that company's business. Fedex is actually slowly planning to get rid of that entire Ground division and bring it in house with their Express business as company owned trucks and hourly paid drivers. Maybe that gave Amazon pause in operating like that.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Rivian keeps going down, hitting $8.40 today. I could see it becoming a dollar stock soon since really what good news is there to share? If CyberTruck is selling so slow they've reduced production how can Rivian expect to survive?
1. CyberTruck is still selling everything they can produce and has a long waitlist.

2. Rivian doesn't really compete with CT. For them it's about surviving until they can get volume production of the R2/R3 lines.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 6:24 PM
recession proof

I just saw an Ioniq 5 from Victoria BC parked in my 'hood, and also the new Santa Fe which is growing on me.

Fisker stock went from .022 to .08 and I didn't buy any to flip.

CyberTruck Texas assembly has thousands in stock, apparently awaiting a recall/fix on the broken accelerator pedal.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 8:18 PM
你的媽媽

It's official.

RIP Model 2.

Quote:
Tesla puts ‘$25,000 electric car’ codenamed NV9 on back burner despite what Elon Musk said
Fred Lambert | Apr 15 2024 - 12:01 pm PT

Electrek can confirm that Tesla indeed put its upcoming ‘$25,000 electric car, sometimes referred to as ‘Model 2’, on the back burner despite what Elon Musk said.

The project was codenamed NV9.
https://electrek.co/2024/04/15/tesla...lon-musk-said/

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:43 AM

Kia is going to develop more Hybrid models due to low EV demand. This new EV3 is probably not going to be available in the USA, possibly not Canada either.

I've been seeing a few EV9s aroundm they are really quite big and quite nice, have also seen one of the new Hyundai Sante Fe's also very big, going after the Range Rover look.

Kia Plans to Release Smaller, More Affordable EV3 By the End of 2024

by Chris Teague
Published: April 16th, 2024

Kia recently announced plans to develop new hybrid and plug-in hybrid models to help it cope with wavering EV demand, but that hasn’t stopped the automaker’s trudge toward full electrification. In fact, Kia’s CEO said the company was pushing forward with plans to release an affordable electric car called the EV3.

Ho Sung Song said that the car, based on the EV3 Concept, would go on sale before the end of 2024. The new model will join several hybrids also in development, along with at least on South Korea-only model expected to debut at the same time as the EV3. Kia hasn’t detailed the car’s styling or specs, but we know it will use a less expensive electrical architecture than the automaker’s larger EV6 and EV9 models. That should help keep costs in the low $30,000 range, a significant departure from most EVs, which are notably more expensive.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ca...-2024-44506372

-----------

the EV5 is said to be coming to Canada, but will not be available in the USA apparently.

Check Out The New Kia EV5 From Every Angle As Global Exports Begin

Australia and Thailand are set to be the first global markets to receive the China-made Kia EV5 with sales to start in June

- Kia’s first China-made car arrives in Australia in June offering a compact and affordable alternative to the EV9.
- The EV5 is anticipated to be priced competitively below the Tesla Model Y, with an expected starting price well under AU$70,000 (US$46,000).
- A flagship GT-Line model will launch before the end of the year.

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/04/20...unch-in-sight/

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:15 PM
recession proof

EVs are selling like crazy in Thailand. I like this new EV street light charging concept: https://www.voltpost.com/

That EV5 will be $65000 in Canada, with typical selling prices more like $77,000 with all the options. Laughably unaffordable.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:19 PM
Great White Norf

I can't believe Tesla is full steam ahead with Cybertruck but cancelled model 2

Every Cybertruck review or post I've seen it looks like one of the worst pieces of crap ever conceived

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
I can't believe Tesla is full steam ahead with Cybertruck but cancelled model 2

Every Cybertruck review or post I've seen it looks like one of the worst pieces of crap ever conceived
North Americans hate small cars. The lackluster sales of Big 3 electric trucks notwithstanding, it's not hard to see why Tesla would still go after one of the largest market segments.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:55 PM

Quote:
EVs are selling like crazy in Thailand.
I've said this about the developing world before. They aren't going to wait for 500km range crossovers with faux leather, in their price range, before getting EVs. Gas is expensive in every country that has to import it. And every one of their governments is incentivized to cut imports.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 12:01 AM

Quote:
North Americans hate small cars. The lackluster sales of Big 3 electric trucks notwithstanding, it's not hard to see why Tesla would still go after one of the largest market segments.
Because:

1) The world is bigger than North America. And many of those other markets where smaller vehicles are in demand, are actually growing faster.

2) The competition they are so worried about is actually pushing smaller vehicles.

3) Robotaxi will take years to more than a decade to legalize in North America. Let alone in much busier and chaotic driving conditions as you see in a lot of the developing world.

This decisions basically hands over Europe, Asia, Africa when most of Latin America to the Chinese. It makes no sense unless it's media diversion driven by panic because they know they can't beat the Chinese at a price-value point.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 12:11 AM
recession proof

The problem with buying a new Hyundai/Kia EV is insane depreciation. I just found a 2023 Ioniq 6 with 3300km going for $50k, $13k less than a 2024. There's a guy with one on Reddit saying he can't make it to Kelowna from Vancouver on one charge, how he usually has to wait an hour to just get a charger because so many are broken, and the promised charging speeds don't exist.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 12:14 AM

Quote:
The problem with buying a new Hyundai/Kia EV is insane depreciation. I just found a 2023 Ioniq 6 with 3300km going for $50k, $13k less than a 2024. There's a guy with one on Reddit saying he can't make it to Kelowna from Vancouver on one charge, how he usually has to wait an hour to just get a charger because so many are broken, and the promised charging speeds don't exist.
We don't need your stream of consciousness on EVs in this thread. What does this post really add to the conversation?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 12:38 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Is that depreciation level specific to Hyundai/Kia EVs? I know there's a big chunk of depreciation that happens basically as soon as any vehicle changes from being new to used even when very low mileage, but it would be interesting to see the appreciation for EVs in general compared to ICE and for different EV models and OEMs. If there is a high degree of depreciation then that's good for the affordability issue I suppose.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 2:32 AM
recession proof

The Ionic 6 is Hyundai's worst-selling vehicle in its history. There's some cheap lease deals in the US that will eventually come here. One big problem with buying a non Tesla EV is the switch to the Tesla charging standard NACS https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nort...rging_Standard from the inferior CCS1 won't happen until 2027/28. So buying and especially leasing a new EV is financial suicide. Then there's Nissan and Toyota claiming solid state batteries are going into production in 2028, making all current tech obsolete. Interesting times - I guess we could think of Tesla Model 3/Y as the Ford Model T of today, waiting for better tech from 1920/30s GM or Citroën.

I'm probably one of the few thousand people who like the Ionic 6's exterior design. However, as with most of these flashy Hyundai Kia models, their interiors are half baked and of course constant recalls.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Is that depreciation level specific to Hyundai/Kia EVs? I know there's a big chunk of depreciation that happens basically as soon as any vehicle changes from being new to used even when very low mileage, but it would be interesting to see the appreciation for EVs in general compared to ICE and for different EV models and OEMs. If there is a high degree of depreciation then that's good for the affordability issue I suppose.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was higher than normal depreciation across the board as an after effect of all the covid/supply chain issues. People who bought new at the tail end of availability restrictions, right before supply increased again, should basically expect that IMO. Not sure if we're at the point yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada