HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 6:09 PM

Atlas

Hey Atlas, that image you posted of a mixed use / entertainment project in Denver would be a good idea instead of the Hotel they have planned behind the depot in the Gateway mall. I’m not sure the area you meant it for though?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 6:10 PM

What’s the address of the Newhouse block?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 6:40 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
What’s the address of the Newhouse block?
It's that 10-acre parking lot (Block 40) between 400 S and 500 S, Main St. and West Temple. It was actually an interesting place, once upon a time. I hope it can be again someday.

This side of downtown really needs some help. Here's a drone shot (a few years old) showing Block 40 on the right and the 370 South West Temple site in the center. It's kind of an urban desert between 400 S and 600 S, which is part of why I think there's a good case for "Midtown" being differentiated by name as that area comes into its own.

Source

Last edited by Atlas; Apr 5, 2021 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 7:45 PM

Does anyone know what is going on with the Moda Lux?

There has been no construction activity for the past several weeks at the site.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 8:06 PM

Thanks Atlas, that block was once owned by Earl Holding. Back in the early 90’s I saw a Salt Lake Tribune article and that block was the site of a possible outdoor mall. Doesn’t the churches investment arm own that block now?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 8:13 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Thanks Atlas, that block was once owned by Earl Holding. Back in the early 90’s I saw a Salt Lake Tribune article and that block was the site of a possible outdoor mall. Doesn’t the churches investment arm own that block now?
Right, I think he was the one that demolished the Newhouse and the Terrace in the 80s. And yeah, City Creek Reserve owns it currently and Makid has mentioned that any development is probably still a ways off. I just think it's fun to spitball about it because it is such a black eye on the face of SLC.

I don't remember if visualization has been shared here before. I remember this video being shown in the PC Meeting back when the Post District was approved.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 9:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
It's that 10-acre parking lot (Block 40) between 400 S and 500 S, Main St. and West Temple. It was actually an interesting place, once upon a time. I hope it can be again someday.

This side of downtown really needs some help. Here's a drone shot (a few years old) showing Block 40 on the right and the 370 South West Temple site in the center. It's kind of an urban desert between 400 S and 600 S, which is part of why I think there's a good case for "Midtown" being differentiated by name as that area comes into its own.

Source
I agree. That portion of the city does need some desperate help. A mix of residential and shopping would be great there.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:00 AM

Other than the Hyatt Center the pace of shovel-ready projects to the south on West Temple during this current boom has been a little disappointing. Hopefully, the area boom will continue and the new CCH will speed things up further along West Temple.

I would like to see the Newhouse block sliced up and multi-purposed like CCC and Posthouse.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:58 AM

The fact that that big hotel building doesn’t exist anymore is absolutely criminal. What was it called?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 2:33 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixg View Post
The fact that that big hotel building doesn’t exist anymore is absolutely criminal. What was it called?
It was the Newhouse Hotel.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 3:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
It was the Newhouse Hotel.
That’s a damn shame.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 4:42 AM

Even though we probably still lose too many old buildings today, it pales in comparison to the "urban renewal" of the 60s-80s. We would never lose a building like that today unless we had no other choice (like if it was damaged in an even bigger earthquake).

I think I remember hearing that we even almost lost the City-County Building back in the day. That would have been an absolute travesty.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Does anyone know what is going on with the Moda Lux?

There has been no construction activity for the past several weeks at the site.
I’ve noticed that too. The only action I’ve seen have a been a couple of trucks and a few workings planting markings and flags around the property. Hoping the project is not DOA.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:57 PM
Space Magi

Here's an excellent picture of Block 40 (Block 39 in the foreground) from 1933 that I just found on the Marriott Library archive. Hotel Newhouse is on the right, Coconut Grove (Terrace Ballroom) is in the center.

Source

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 10:18 PM
BANNED

I’ve always thought that SLC had a lot more trees from old pictures.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:37 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by New&Old View Post
It sure did. More greenery is always a good thing in Utah. It's hard to come by.

Hoping the ModaLux hasn't fallen apart.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 3:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
It sure did. More greenery is always a good thing in Utah. It's hard to come by.

Hoping the ModaLux hasn't fallen apart.
If it has then that property is going to be an incredible eye sore.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
I really don’t think it’s appropriate for anyone (not to mention the likelihood this person was banned previously) to have an account with a username so similar to another forum member’s username, someone who happens to be one of our most respected contributors to this forum. It is meant to troll and cause confusion. Additionally, this poser’s despicable behavior is disparaging the real Future_Mayor. How would any of you like it if this troll created an account with a username almost identical to yours, and then continued to behave poorly? You’d be pissed. We cannot allow this person to mess with the reputation of another. Everyone please report this troll. We need to get the moderators’ attention. We cannot allow this to continue.
Quote:
If it has then that property is going to be an incredible eye sore.
The troll is back. Please report them to the moderators.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 5:56 AM

Quote:
It wouldn't be too difficult to make Salt Lake more green and beautify it even more. We have wide streets, we could do green medians throughout the city (I thought it was being considered at some point?). Imagine State St. lined with nice tall trees. Just my two cents

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layrasm View Post
It wouldn't be too difficult to make Salt Lake more green and beautify it even more. We have wide streets, we could do green medians throughout the city (I thought it was being considered at some point?). Imagine State St. lined with nice tall trees. Just my two cents
While I think that could be cool, I kind of wish we’d more embrace our arid high desert climate in terms of landscaping a bit more. Not only would it conserve water and resources, but its more true to who we are as a southwestern state. I also think could be pretty unique looking if done right. There aren’t many, if any, other North American cities besides maybe Reno with quite the same dramatic combination of extreme altitude and desert

I think places in the northeastern Middle East do this kind of thing quite well, cities like Tehran, Mashhad, Osh or even Kabul in the 60s/70s

Just my two cents as well

Last edited by felixg; Apr 7, 2021 at 8:28 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West