HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 5:04 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXflyer View Post
Agree with most everything you said, except, The Larry is still open for business. Trying to support what we have left. Here’s to hoping...
Yes, the Larry is still doing takeout and delivery, still posting on social media, and the owners launched Kaizen this summer in the same space.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
You guys should prepare yourselves. My friend moved his bike shop out of downtown. It's likely most of Churchill is done. Dressing Room is gone. A lot of the guys I got to know from years of eating at their restaurants downtown are saying they're finished. Next summer downtown will look very different, unfortunately. I think a lot of these restaurants, as they fail, will be picked up by new owners.

edit: I said the name of the wrong restaurant.
With Churchill being outside, they should be Getting that place open ASAP! You didn’t hear about all the new places going inside the dressing room? The soki place and others? Roosevelt is in a much better position than the cityscape area with the amount of residents. Last weekend I went to the new Greenwood brewery, they were busy, got some tacos at Taco Chelo they were busy as hell, then wilderness was steady and then finish off the evening at Jackalope Gastropub and they frankly had too many people in there,lol. Cityscape I worry about right now. Those businesses need some extra breaks from the landlords the government needs to do something more for business and entertainment districts.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 6:38 PM

I'm glad your outlook is rosy. The fact is a lot of places are getting by simply on PPP loans and other subsidies. The F&B industry is being decimated. Like I said though, I expect most places that fail to be picked up by new ownership and continue business. Will be rough for a bit, though.

We popped in Ladera last night and it was absolutely packed inside and out. I have not had a restaurant meal in almost two months so I can't comment on whether this is a representation of most restaurants or if they are an anomaly.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 7:15 PM

People are ready to get out for sure, as it cools down Soon, get out wear your mask and enjoy life! There may also be a real shift from Oldtown Scottsdale club goers to want to have a chill night downtown. If you managed to keep your job through all this, manny people are probably ahead, with extra money to spend. You didn’t go on that summer vacation that normally cost you over 2 grand, you didn’t spend every other weekend going to sporting events or concerts spending a few hundred dollars. The extra spending money a lot of People May have right now, at least can be spent on an evening to get out, eat, have a drink and hopefully maybe get some tickets for a Stand Up Live show.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 7:40 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
With Churchill being outside, they should be Getting that place open ASAP! You didn’t hear about all the new places going inside the dressing room? The soki place and others? Roosevelt is in a much better position than the cityscape area with the amount of residents. Last weekend I went to the new Greenwood brewery, they were busy, got some tacos at Taco Chelo they were busy as hell, then wilderness was steady and then finish off the evening at Jackalope Gastropub and they frankly had too many people in there,lol. Cityscape I worry about right now. Those businesses need some extra breaks from the landlords the government needs to do something more for business and entertainment districts.
The Churchill briefly reopened and then voluntarily re-closed before Governor Ducey took action to shutter bars again. I went there once during the few weeks it was open, and it felt like the safest place possible with its 100% outdoor seating. I’m guessing the re-closure had something to do with a personal decision by the owners rather than any mandate. It will be interesting to see when and if they reopen.

I agree that the prospects for Roosevelt Row / Evans Churchill are much better than the downtown business district and CityScape. Restaurants south of Van Buren are much more dependent on office workers, conventions, and events. With all those in short supply, it’s a challenge for them. Restaurants up by Roosevelt draw more of a crowd from nearby neighborhoods and should therefore be more resilient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I'm glad your outlook is rosy. The fact is a lot of places are getting by simply on PPP loans and other subsidies. The F&B industry is being decimated. Like I said though, I expect most places that fail to be picked up by new ownership and continue business. Will be rough for a bit, though.

We popped in Ladera last night and it was absolutely packed inside and out. I have not had a restaurant meal in almost two months so I can't comment on whether this is a representation of most restaurants or if they are an anomaly.
I agree that we’ll see a lot of turnover and changes in ownership.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 4:29 AM

The Dbacks should be promoting sports bars around downtown, saying hey, I know you can’t come to a game but the downtown bars need us right now, Come down have a drink and watch the game!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 5:05 AM

Quote:
The Dbacks should be promoting sports bars around downtown, saying hey, I know you can’t come to a game but the downtown bars need us right now, Come down have a drink and watch the game!
The funny thing is that the DBacks hate the surrounding sports bars, they think that those bars are stealing their revenue from their door step. Dbacks would love to make a real estate play for the surrounding sports bars and keep the money for themselves.

Suns have same attitude too, the arena upgrades are all aimed at grabbing more of the F&B revenue that's leaking out to surrounding businesses.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:

There are a lot of plans for Roosevelt, but I’m concerned about the owners of Pedal Haus having 8 properties in the same area. Much like I didn’t like True North having their hand in all of these prior to Pedal Haus, and we can see how that turned out when they decided to keep all their places closed. Only place they maintained (that I can see) is Tuck Shop, which appears to be closed now after having reopened for a bit. Anyone know anything about that?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 3:43 AM

When we drove near PV Mall yesterday. We saw old Arby's right next to Wendy's. Do you know what happened to Arby's? It is gone? When they did demolished Arby's near PV Mall. I remember where old Arby's used to be.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 1:45 PM

I have never heard of this guy, not a NASCAR fan, but here is some brewery news.

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...oom-in-phoenix

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 3:38 PM
self-important urbanista

La Piazza PHX on First Street has announced it is closing permanently. The owner is also closing his Piazza Romana place in Avondale and consolidating all operations at his original restaurant, La Piazza al Forno in downtown Glendale.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 6:42 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
La Piazza PHX on First Street has announced it is closing permanently. The owner is also closing his Piazza Romana place in Avondale and consolidating all operations at his original restaurant, La Piazza al Forno in downtown Glendale.
Not a great loss. Never lived up to its potential. I've always preferred Pomo and Bianco. Uninspired pizza, bad service. Location was great for before-game dinner but consistently disappointing.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Not a great loss. Never lived up to its potential. I've always preferred Pomo and Bianco. Uninspired pizza, bad service. Location was great for before-game dinner but consistently disappointing.
I think it was featured on Diners, Drive-In’s, and Dives, which admittedly isn’t a metric for quality, but I think it made it sort of a destination for fans of the show. My qualm with the place was that it closed around 10 pm. With Kettle Black and Hanny’s nearby both open until 2 am, it was a missed opportunity to feed into that late night energy.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 12:08 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
You repeat this every time La Piazza restaurant is mentioned. It's unfortunate you didn't have good experiences there, but maybe it's time to let go of those memories. I've stopped complaining about Jon Talton, in part due to your comments. Maybe you can do the same for this defunct restaurant?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:54 AM

La Piazza is objectively good pizza and it's sad when anyone loses part of their business. It's telling that you take joy in it or imply that it's inconsequential.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 5:48 PM
self-important urbanista

Here’s some media coverage of the closure:

'The pandemic killed us': 2 pizzerias shutter as owner focuses on Glendale restaurant

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...19/5661773002/

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 1:05 AM
self-important urbanista

Squid Ink Sushi at CityScape announced that it is reopening for takeout on September 14 and dine-in on October 1. I'm pleasantly surprised. They've been shuttered since March with all operations consolidated at their original Peoria location.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 5:08 AM

New Restaurant

Ramen Kagawa had it's grand opening within the past couple weeks. Located on Monroe/1st Ave next to Harumi Sushi & Sake. Looks like this used to be ZPizza when looking on Google maps. Limited dine-in seating available along with takeout/delivery.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEiLJ_eANld/

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 11:39 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermykermy View Post
Ramen Kagawa had it's grand opening within the past couple weeks. Located on Monroe/1st Ave next to Harumi Sushi & Sake. Looks like this used to be ZPizza when looking on Google maps. Limited dine-in seating available along with takeout/delivery.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEiLJ_eANld/
Yes, it's pretty good. We tried it for take-out dinner once already.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Squid Ink Sushi at CityScape announced that it is reopening for takeout on September 14 and dine-in on October 1. I'm pleasantly surprised. They've been shuttered since March with all operations consolidated at their original Peoria location.
I was convinced Squid Ink was Done-zo good too see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest