HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 12:54 AM
Hammer'd

That place is very surprisingly busy all of the time. I don't think I've passed by once while it's open without there being a line of at least 3-5 people waiting. I never really thought a pretzel place would do so well in JS.

The new Country Style Bisto store is also doing really well. Seems like the renovation was able to steal a lot of customers away from Tim Hortons. Beautifully renovated too, it almost looks *too* good for Jackson Square. Gotta say, JS is really doing good these days.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
That place is very surprisingly busy all of the time. I don't think I've passed by once while it's open without there being a line of at least 3-5 people waiting. I never really thought a pretzel place would do so well in JS.

The new Country Style Bisto store is also doing really well. Seems like the renovation was able to steal a lot of customers away from Tim Hortons. Beautifully renovated too, it almost looks *too* good for Jackson Square. Gotta say, JS is really doing good these days.
Now imagine if an NHL team were to roll into town. Things are not looking too great on that front at the moment, but you never know.

The improvements are a good thing, but it would be better if things could get to a position where a new pretzel shop or a renovated donut shop do not constitute relatively big news.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 1:59 AM

These kinds of things aren't worthwhile to you, and yet they are worthwhile enough for you to bother to reply to the thread. How does that work?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 2:41 AM
Needs more coffee...

It's a bit late to post on these guys, but I've only been to Shanghai Tea Merchant once or twice since it opened - it's really, really great though. Not only do they have great tea: but they had architecture and arts magazines to read as well as the usual tabloid-types, which was fantastic. Very peaceful in there.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 5:03 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
The improvements are a good thing, but it would be better if things could get to a position where a new pretzel shop or a renovated donut shop do not constitute relatively big news.
Uh...the Jackson Square thread on the SSP Hamilton forum is not "relatively big news". It's a thread about all the goings on at JS, large and small. If you're not into the minutae, don't check it out.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Uh...the Jackson Square thread on the SSP Hamilton forum is not "relatively big news". It's a thread about all the goings on at JS, large and small. If you're not into the minutae, don't check it out.
My comment was in the context of the Jackson Square thread --- as things stand now, the donut and pretzel shop renovations/openings are fairly noteworthy relative to other happenings in the mall. If an NHL team were to move in, some much larger things could happen at the mall and the donut/pretzel stuff would be smaller potatoes.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 5:09 PM

There's more action going on here than in the 'King St. North of Gore Park' thread.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 2:22 AM

If the NHL team came, I would still want to hear about little shops and vendors. Its part of what living in a community is all about.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 3:08 PM

Anyone know exactly where this going in Jackson?

Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator
(Oct 19, 2009)

You've probably never heard of Hugh Cossart Baker Jr., but a creative incubator in the works for downtown Hamilton will bring the businessman's name back to life.

The Imperial Cotton Centre for the Arts has begun construction on a new space in Jackson Square that will help fledgling artists, entrepreneurs and organizations get their business ventures off the ground.

It will be named the Cossart Exchange.

Hamilton has high-tech and innovation incubators, but this will be the first aimed at the creative sector.

There are examples around the world, and Toronto has more than a dozen aimed at the arts, film, fashion and social enterprise.

Hugh Cossart Baker Jr. (1846-1931) was an entrepreneur, inventor, volunteer and community organizer who is most famous for creating the first commercial telephone exchange in the British Empire -- in Hamilton.

He also played a role in establishing the Hamilton Street Railway, Hamilton Real Estate Association and Leander Boat Club.

Jeremy Freiburger, executive director of the Imperial Cotton Centre for the Arts, which redevelops and manages former industrial properties for artistic uses, says it seemed perfect to name the incubator after a successful Hamiltonian.

"His work is indicative of the kind of work happening in the creative community in Hamilton now," said Freiburger.

The 2,000-square-foot centre, now under construction on the second floor of Jackson Square, will overlook the newly renovated market and the mall's rooftop patio.

The hope is to launch in December.

The incubator will provide work stations, meeting space and staff resources to about 12 to 16 participants at a time. They will pay $150 a month and be matched with mentors who can help with financial planning, networking, strategic development and marketing.

Participants will also be expected to offer 40 hours of volunteering a year.

"The Cossart program will be about energizing people, ideas and products, and playing a role in helping them be successful," said Freiburger.

"It's really going to be dictated by what people need."

The definition of creative is always in flux, says Freiburger. It's not strictly about artistic endeavours, but can apply to ideas, events, products and new ways of doing things.

The participants will be selected by a jury, and the bottom-line criteria is that the product, idea or service must be good for the community, says Freiburger.

Jason Hofing, who started his own coffee importing and roasting business, Red Hill Coffee Trade, a year ago, is lining up to apply to the exchange.

"It's a really good, unique and creative approach to growing and designing a business," he said.

"It's a unique opportunity to do business co-operatively and collaboratively rather than doing it all alone."

Hofing, 33, is particularly looking for guidance about building his customer base and getting the word out about an alternative coffee culture and fair trade coffee.

Hofing anticipates a lot of people will be drawn to the exchange because the creative scene is growing and the ICCA and Freiburger have developed a reputation for success.

"They are very warm and welcoming, and interested and accepting of ideas. It's a perfect fit for what I'm doing."

Hamilton is crying out for an incubator for creativity, Freiburger says.

It's estimated there are about 3,000 businesses and organizations in the creative sector in Hamilton, and the industry is pegged to generate about $260 million a year.

Based on a Statistics Canada study, which found that 25 per cent of creative businesses seek incubation services in their first five years of operation, Freiburger believes about 750 enterprises in the city could use the Cossart Exchange.

A quick Facebook post generated great response from people wanting to be involved as participants, mentors and sponsors.

The Ontario Trillium Foundation has given the Cossart Exchange a $130,000, two-year grant, and Freiburger estimates the working budget for two years will be somewhere around $300,000.

"We are looking for sponsors. It's the kind of program we think the business community can see value in because it connects cultural development to economic development."

The ICCA studied creative incubators around the world, including the Hub in Halifax and the Centre for Social Innovation in Toronto.

The Cossart Exchange can be reached at cossartexchange@imperialcottoncentre.com, 905-548-0111 and the website is cossartexchange.com.

mmacleod@thespec.com

905-526-3408

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 4:24 PM

Perhaps the former skating rink in the Standard Life Centre? There's also a spot above the Dollarama - I remember a training college in there but don't know if they are still in that space. There's also the Bank of Montreal podium which I believe is still vacant.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 4:41 PM
Needs more coffee...

I'm pretty sure that college is still there - just because I've recently seen people in their scrubs/logo going in and out.

I'm happy to see this come to JS.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 4:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

Sounds like the former skating rink location.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 1:37 AM

i think its in the locaton of the old food court, above the entrance to the farmers market

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 1:51 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the pic of the old food court -- where it used to be when I was a kid hanging out at Jackson Square. I'd totally forgotten about that place, but this brings back memories.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 2:07 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroblaster View Post
i think its in the locaton of the old food court, above the entrance to the farmers market
That's what I think. Or more recently it was an "Asian Mall".

It's a sweet spot actually with direct access to the roof.

I miss that old food court as a kid.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 2:44 PM

Liason College just moved into the former food court location last year - are they no longer there?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 3:07 PM
Hammer'd

They are. That's why I'm confused by where this *actually* is.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 8:34 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
I miss that old food court as a kid.
I do, too. I thought it was a great spot. The stepped terrain gave it...geographical texture. There was natural light from all of the windows. And having it on the second floor made it something of a destination.

I wonder what the reasoning was for moving it?

I recall the Korean mall well, and knew it was doomed to failure right from the start. Ethnic conglomerations of that type in North America generally work best as suburban strip malls, it seems. Busy immigrant families want convenience and parking. Anecdotally, my impression was that even the farmer's market and the library and the rest of Jackson Square didn't provide enough centrifugal force to bring Korean families living in the nether regions of the mountain down there to buy their noodles and kimchi.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 12:04 PM

Farmer's Market

last Friday I had the opportunity of a couple hours and lunch in the Farmer's market. The buns were so fresh and the smells divine.
Not sure when the new(old) market will be done but the current version is very clean and the venders are very friendly and have a vested interest in every sale.
After watching FOOD INC (the movie) and I reccommend it, organic will start to take off. Maybe I should have listened to the ones who were preaching this 10 yrs ago.
So it will be a more regular routine for our family.
Sure meets the attitude of staff at many commercial outlets who barely take a breath from the conversation with the next checkout person or you feel you should be honoured that they even dealing with you.
Farmers market is a positive experience and still one hour free parking at the parkade across from the old one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues