HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 9:08 PM
It's Hammer Time

For me I would like JS to be gutted out and re-done over again. I would make the storefront look like buildings and the aisles look like streets with skylights, mandatory.

Example, from flar http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ghlight=guelph

Plus I would name the aisles like Victor Copps Avenue, Lincoln Alexander Avenue, FU Bettman Avenue, etc. This would help find stores easier like Shoppers on Copps Avenue.

With City Centre I eliminate all retail and replace it with offices. Perhaps get McMaster, Mohawk or Artist studio.

Yale has a lease with the City on JS so one day Yale won't own JS.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 10:00 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Who owns it? Are JS and HCC owned by separate entities? What about the other elements that comprise the structure?

Where were those photos from? I like your idea.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 10:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

From my understanding the City owns the land that Jackson Square is located. Yale has a lease. For how long? I don't know. Yale I believe owns the building. This is why you got Farmers' Market and Central Library at JS.

HHC is separate and I believe they own the land and the building.

The photos has a source, click on the link.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 2:57 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

I really like the idea, though I think they should try and do something arty with steel for a JS internal remodel.

I'd like to visit guelph, but only if I can call them guelphlings.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 1:25 AM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
I really like the idea, though I think they should try and do something arty with steel for a JS internal remodel.

I'd like to visit guelph, but only if I can call them guelphlings.
When I worked for a charity a few years ago, another employee actually once spelled it "Guelf" -- i've had the image of these little smurf-like elves in my mind ever since.... hehe.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 3:37 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
When I worked for a charity a few years ago, another employee actually once spelled it "Guelf" -- i've had the image of these little smurf-like elves in my mind ever since.... hehe.
I'm making a joke based upon one of my favourite films...

video link

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 8:08 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
From my understanding the City owns the land that Jackson Square is located. Yale has a lease. For how long? I don't know. Yale I believe owns the building. This is why you got Farmers' Market and Central Library at JS.

HHC is separate and I believe they own the land and the building.

The photos has a source, click on the link.
The city owns some of the land but I don't think all of it. It was a 99 year lease. So that lease should be up sometime around 2070. I think that the land the Stelco tower is located on is owned by Yale. I may be wrong, it's been awhile since I have seen it discussed.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 8:29 AM
BANNED

Jackson Square ROCKS.....Those new MBA's that think otherwise are retarded. Go consume another keg from where ever you came from.

They F up Centre Mall. and soon Mountain Plaza....now Jackson Square......good on ya......

Always call out the retards.....it is your duty.....failure to do so calls you out of your ranks..... and there is no shortage.....of you.....

mic67

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 2:08 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic67 View Post
Jackson Square ROCKS.....Those new MBA's that think otherwise are retarded. Go consume another keg from where ever you came from.
What an odd statement.

I don't have an MBA
I don't consume kegs of anything.
I'm lead to believe I have an IQ in the 132 range, i.e. far from retarded.

However, I totally and utterly disagree that "Jackson Square ROCKS"

OK, it has improved, mostly because there are more people in there, however it's dark, dirty and generally uninspiring compared to most modern indoor malls.

My google search says it was built in 1966 and like a lot of 60s architecture wasn't built "that" future facing. While it may have served its purpose back then, it clearly isn't meeting the needs of the modern age.

As much as I would like the building to be demolished and something new rebuilt in it's place, that is unlikely to happen, so why not be open to the potential for improvement through the refurbishment of the interior and exterior?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 2:29 PM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
I'm making a joke based upon one of my favourite films...

video link
ah i see.. i've seen labyrinth, but not that one.

The actual inside of that Guelph mall looks amazing..

I'm guessing it would be hard for anyone in the right spot with the capability to, to find the motivation/belief that renovating Jackson Square would pay off, however...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 4:35 PM

The Eaton Centre opened up some of their stores to Yonge Street, creating storefronts vs. a brick wall along Yonge Street. I think Jackson Square & HCC should do something similar.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 5:06 PM

If we're interested in people's opinions here's mine. I f#*&ing HATE Jackson Square! It's like this bomb fell on Hamilton one day and all of a sudden 'Hey, where did my downtown go?' It's a monstrosity to be overcome while going through downtown. You have to go under it, over it, around it or through it, and I can't decide which is worse. I go there because I have to. It swallowed the rest of downtown. The bank is there, the liquor store is there, the farmers market, everything people need to go to downtown is there. Jackson Square ties with one way streets as the urban FAIL of that century in Hamilton. It's even worse than one way streets in that it can't be easily undone. It may have 'worked' for a time - in that higher end stores prospered in that environment, but the damage is far worse. If the millions spent acquiring land and building this monstrosity were spent on incremental improvements to address the decay of the area (while preserving the intact buildings and businesses) we could have ended up with all the benefits of modernization while keeping the history and urban structure that gave us our identity. We can't even plead ignorance in destroying our own core. Jane Jacobs wrote Death and Life in 1961, and the fallacies of the urban renewal movement were well documented. The last 50 years has only proved the point. I'm ashamed of my own city every time I walk through this god awful place.

Last edited by Jon Dalton; Jul 9, 2009 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 1:53 AM

Jon,

Everything is representative of a period and you have to respect the thinkers of the day.

Heck, the thinkers of the day wanted to demolish the East Block in Ottawa and turn it into a parking lot!

JSquare has potential for many things, hate it or love it, its here to stay. I personally enjoy the mall and I see it turning into something someday...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrwatson View Post
Jon,

Everything is representative of a period and you have to respect the thinkers of the day.
Why do I have to respect the thinkers of any day?

Respect is earned, not granted. Obviously the mistakes made 40+ years ago haven't earned any respect among many of us.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Jane Jacobs wrote Death and Life in 1961, and the fallacies of the urban renewal movement were well documented.
I respect the thinkers of the day.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrwatson View Post
Jon,

Heck, the thinkers of the day wanted to demolish the East Block in Ottawa and turn it into a parking lot!

JSquare has potential for many things, hate it or love it, its here to stay. I personally enjoy the mall and I see it turning into something someday...
Read this:

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Jackson Square ties with one way streets as the urban FAIL of this century in Hamilton.
It didn't open in this century... but everything else is spot on

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 12:54 PM

Meanwhile, over in Bizarro Hamilton, Mapleview Mall showcases the mindblowing reason for those drywall accidents: a $64m investment in the property!

http://mapleview.shopping.ca/cambrid...jsp?mallid=map

So let's see...

Mountain Plaza Mall: Opened 1955, $50M redevelopment in 2009-11
Mapleview Mall: Opened 1990, $63M redevelopment in 2008-9
Centre Mall: Opened 1955, $100M redevelopment in 2008-10
Eastgate Square: Opened 1973, $1.7M facelift in 2007
Lime Ridge Mall: Opened 1981, renovation in 1988, $15M renovation in 2001-2

Jackson Square Phase 1 opened in 1972; Phase 2, 1977. How many millions has Yale invested in the property in the 30 years since then? Thank goodness for city coffers bankrolling millions in fix-ups (Copps, HPL, Farmers Market) or they would still have a quarter of its site mothballed and the food court next to the lotto kiosk and Dollarama would be its crown jewel. What wonders do they have planned for the next 60 years?

Last edited by thistleclub; Jul 9, 2009 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
It didn't open in this century... but everything else is spot on
post edited

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 7:23 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I don't think Yale cares much. They don't even have a website for the mall.

I don't find the lighting dark. I like the valence lighting and it's not glaring white, softer light is my preference. I especially like the upper area to Liason college. I also miss the old foodcourt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues