HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 2:03 PM
BANNED

This rendering was done for P + W by a Chinese rendering company. If you'll notice, they drew the sun setting in the north

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Perkins+Will Northtown Branch library and apartments -

Curbed

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Is that so? I thought that was a CMK project, they aren't really in the student housing game. If they are building studio apartments they will still probably be larger and more expensive than true dorm-style housing.
I'm only going on what I picked up from the Dearborn Express article - 30-some stories, 370ish units IIRC, mostly studio apartments suitable for student housing. This is what the article said:

CMK Development, 30 stories, 13-14 month completion, 369 units "75% of which will be student or convertible apartments". 317 feet tall.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:26 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

UChicago dorms

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:54 PM

Tower crane at 145 S. Wells is coming down

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 9:56 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Other than that 12 unit, ultra-luxury boutique building on the Gold coast, I feel like there has been a drought for the past couple of months in individual new development announcements (outside of the massive PD projects like the 78 or Lincoln Yards); it seems odd considering that we are not inside a recession. Yet. And I don't mean highrise proposals that have been recently approved; I'm referring more to brand new, previously unknown proposals.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Other than that 12 unit, ultra-luxury boutique building on the Gold coast, I feel like there has been a drought for the past couple of months in individual new development announcements (outside of the massive PD projects like the 78 or Lincoln Yards); it seems odd considering that we are not inside a recession. Yet. And I don't mean highrise proposals that have been recently approved; I'm referring more to brand new, previously unknown proposals.
Now is not the time to ask an alderman for a zoning change or at least not time to go public with it, it's election season. Yet another reason why politicians should not control zoning.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 12:24 AM

The view from the West

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 1:19 AM

That could be 3-4 different skylines!!!

Amazing photo

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 1:32 AM

145 S Wells

Jan 4

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 1:37 AM

^plastic wrap windows.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
^plastic wrap windows.
You can thank the cold weather for that...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 4:46 AM

The Mill:

Gr333n:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 5:27 AM
pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I feel like there has been a drought for the past couple of months in individual new development announcements (outside of the massive PD projects like the 78 or Lincoln Yards); it seems odd considering that we are not inside a recession. Yet.
Developers nationally have pulled back over the past year. It's getting late in the cycle, and nobody wants to get caught with a balloon payment due in the midst of a recession. Remember that development proposals are a leading indicator -- cranes in the air are a trailing indicator.

Particularly ambitious proposals like the 78 are a trailing indicator, and even perhaps a bad omen. Nobody thinks they're even somewhat feasible until the money's already flowing -- and by the time they get going, oftentimes the economy's already turned.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Now is not the time to ask an alderman for a zoning change or at least not time to go public with it, it's election season. Yet another reason why politicians should not control zoning.
I believe Bill Daley has a proposal to reduce the number of alderman from 50 to 15...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 2:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Such a great shot, Harry. From this vantage, 110 N Wacker and WPE will fill two voids perfectly. And then we have One Chicago Square, with Hancock and its tall neighbors, which will balance out Sears and 311 S Wacker. Best skyline in the world!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Developers nationally have pulled back over the past year. It's getting late in the cycle, and nobody wants to get caught with a balloon payment due in the midst of a recession. Remember that development proposals are a leading indicator -- cranes in the air are a trailing indicator.

Particularly ambitious proposals like the 78 are a trailing indicator, and even perhaps a bad omen. Nobody thinks they're even somewhat feasible until the money's already flowing -- and by the time they get going, oftentimes the economy's already turned.
The last statement might apply to the Tribune Tower addition or the 400 N Lake Shore Drive. The 78, on the other hand, was always envisioned as a long-term project spanning decades to full build-out. Maybe those kind of things get cooked up during a long cycle, but they have plans that incorporate at least one downturn in the economy.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 6:37 PM
Urbane observer

717 S. Clark (parking lot north of Palmer Printing)

29 stories, 349 units (just under the PD threshold), office uses and 96 parking stalls in the old printing building. Despite that having a perfectly handsome 1937 Moderne façade, Hartshorne Plunkard has apparently chosen to wrap it in glass to tie into the tower design. I don't know where they're getting the depth to do that, as I feel sure the current building extends to the property line.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

29 stories, 349 units (just under the PD threshold), office uses and 96 parking stalls in the old printing building. Despite that having a perfectly handsome 1937 Moderne façade, Hartshorne Plunkard has apparently chosen to wrap it in glass to tie into the tower design. I don't know where they're getting the depth to do that, as I feel sure the current building extends to the property line.
Can we please get rid of all those horrible balconies?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:

The sidewalk runs right up to the current facade, but I guess it's possible that the actual property line extends into the sidewalk. I don't see where a garage entrance is going. There isn't room off the alley, which is too narrow to make a turn.

I knew this lot would be developed someday, but the thought of losing major part of my view south for this turd really hurts. And, yes, it is a total shame to lose that facade.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 7:58 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:

I don't think the existing façade qualifies as 'handsome.' 'Utilitarian' is more apt.

The base of the tower is the only thing about the design I like. The tower is unfortunate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations